• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Machine Considering Buying a King 1236ML Looking for Opinions

Machine

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
I actually have five of them in my cart right now. What about a good set of 5/8” tooling?

lots of us run stuff from aliexpress, same stuff you end up getting from amazon, but cheaper, takes longer to get to you, 1-2 weeks on average in my experience

lots of us run stuff from aliexpress, same stuff you end up getting from amazon, but cheaper, takes longer to get to you, 1-2 weeks on average in my experience
Yeah, I kind of figured that I use both a lot. I’ve got a set of tooling and holders and a 10 inch machinist level although it won’t be super accurate it’ll do for what I need. Just waiting to get the lathe home before I order. It’s shipping on Amazon For stuff that’s not needed right away I might use Temu or AliExpress, etc. not gonna be a high end guy, but at the same time not scared to spend a little more for the right stuff.

Proxule

Ultra Member
Jesus guys, I can’t believe how fast and the amount of replies! Greatly appreciate it. I think I’m gonna go for it. I know we can unload it later for the same price. Proxule, thanks for the info. I appreciate it. visibly it’s in great shape. I don’t think there’s a lot of hours on it but at the same time they’re novice hours, just like I’ll be putting on it so of course you never know. i’ll keep you posted on what happens.
Outstanding. Keep us posted. Gluck on safe loading and unloading.

Many hands many light work.

More info here when you are ready!

Proxule

Ultra Member
Hands down. Aliexpress for most if not everything. Load up your cart
Collect coupons. Watch sales. Collet coins. Save save save.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
When I got my 14X40, I didn't have a gantry crane yet. Hand loading with a comealong into a rented home despot trailer. :(

Sounds like you have it well in hand.

I used solid steel feet. You can prevent contact rust by sacrificing a crazy carpet for a foot/concrete interface. Nowadays I have lots of aluminum, and would use that.

I had a 12x36 King in my KMS shopping cart two days ago. It was $1000 off, then another $250 off for a Canada Day special. All-in with taxes it was under $6000. Today it’s almost $6k before taxes. Should have pulled the trigger. $4k for a good used one seems pretty reasonable.

Everett

Super User
@Proxule pretty much spoke most of what I was going to say as we have the same model King 12x36, his just a few years newer. He's done some very cool mods to his, some of which I may emulate at some point (time/budget permitting), but mine is almost totally bone stock.

And I CERTAINLY would not claim to be a "guru," especially as I now would NOT try to "roll crimp" the feet themselves to the jack screws on the bases I made for mine . . . It wasn't the greatest idea in the long term . . .

Yes, it's done a lot of work for me but mine also had some "import quality quirks" that needed working out. Like the motor drive pulley that never had a set screw installed over the key, so the pulley tried walking off numerous times. Till I installed one, breaking a tap off in the pulley, which then was followed by a couple hours of quality time with my Dremel and carbide burr . . .

But yes, for the price point they are ok for home use, and if selection is limited in your area then it is unlikely to depreciate much in a few years if a machine that tickles your fancy more crosses your path, lol.

Ler us know how it works out for you!

@Proxule pretty much spoke most of what I was going to say as we have the same model King 12x36, his just a few years newer. He's done some very cool mods to his, some of which I may emulate at some point (time/budget permitting), but mine is almost totally bone stock.

And I CERTAINLY would not claim to be a "guru," especially as I now would NOT try to "roll crimp" the feet themselves to the jack screws on the bases I made for mine . . . It wasn't the greatest idea in the long term . . .

Yes, it's done a lot of work for me but mine also had some "import quality quirks" that needed working out. Like the motor drive pulley that never had a set screw installed over the key, so the pulley tried walking off numerous times. Till I installed one, breaking a tap off in the pulley, which then was followed by a couple hours of quality time with my Dremel and carbide burr . . .

But yes, for the price point they are ok for home use, and if selection is limited in your area then it is unlikely to depreciate much in a few years if a machine that tickles your fancy more crosses your path, lol.

Ler us know how it works out for you!
I seen your post on the pulley. The only other major when I seen was one where the change gears weren’t shifting all the way over to align properly.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
What about a good set of 5/8” tooling?

I am not a fan of these sets. There is no such thing as a GOOD set. I bought a set and then ended up only using two of them. The parting and threading tools were pure junk. The rest were not far behind. A set looks really attractive in a nice wooden box, but.... Even my favorite tool in the set (A RH WNMG) was eventually replaced with a good one that really does work WAAAY better. Even worse, those sets don't come with a box of inserts for each tool. But you will end up buying a box for the tools you use. Now you have spent good money on a set of tools and a few boxes of inserts that you won't like.

My personal opinion is that you are better off starting with HSS and then when you want, buy higher quality insert tools one at a time based on your needs.

When it does come time to buy, you don't need to buy Kennametal or Dorian or Sandvik. Although I would if I could afford them. Intead, you can buy from Amazon or Ali or Accusize and still get an excellent tool that you will be very happy with.

Aliva

Super User
I have a King 12x36 bought it new about 8 years ago. It's been a good machine not one issue with so far. For that price I don't think you could go wrong. My came with D-1-3 3 and 4 jaw chuck, 10" back plate, live and dead centers, steady and follow rests. The steady reast is a little small so I made a new one that will hold 6 dia stock.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
What about a good set of 5/8” tooling?

There isn't one, not really. There are perhaps hundreds of sets on offer, but possibly only 1 or 2 would be worth buying. When I bought my 12X37, I spent (a little embarassedly) 275$ for a single tool holder (TPMG 322) and 10 inserts (kennemetal). I used this as my primary turning tool for the first 5 years. I had a HSS parting blade, and several HSS 1/4" tools I had manually ground.

There is a false sense of versatility in those sets.

last year I wanted to upgrade my tooling to WMNG 400 series, so I spent just about 200$ on a tool holder and boring bar and 4 X 10 inserts in various grades. Both of these were 'higher quality' offshore tooling, as the Sandvik and Kennemetal ones were higher priced. Super happy with the cost/performance tradeoff.

------

The moral of the wordy story is: buy quality holders, as you need them and build experience with each one. inserts can be had from anybody, and the selected and filtered offshore ones have performed well for me. I still buy Kennemetal inserts as the situation requires. I'm not made of money, but the offshore sets I've used (by borrowing or by using other guys lathes) has been very disappointing.

The problem is that the steel used is too soft, so the threads wear out. there is a LOT of pressure on these threads during cutting, and this will deform the threads over a fairly short time.

I am not a fan of QCTP tooling for beginning tooling. I truly believe that starting with HSS and grinding your own tools leads to better work and greater understanding of the cutting process. It isn't a shortcut to start with carbide on a small lathe, as it is very hard to diagnose problems with carbide cutters in some materials. (I'm looking at you 4140 and 4340)

If you want to start with carbide tooling, the start with a good general purpose TPMG tooling with positive rake. The TNMG, and WNMG variants require more horsepower and boldness to use well, and can contribute to delayed satisfaction in use.

Save parting with carbide for later as well. It took Clough42 over a year to figure out carbide parting, and he's been machining (intensively) for about 10 years.

so there it is - (big *sigh* after diatribe)

Tomc938

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I have a guy about 10 minutes away from me that has a King 1236 lathe in really good condition. Just looking for a small lathe to use around home and put some hours in (non-apprenticeship hours obviously). I was originally thinking a 1440 or so but here in PEI, they are few and far between locally.
He’s asking 4000, which new, not on sale is about half price, right now they generally sell for 6000 on sale and another 500 to 700 for the stand. Just looking for guys opinions, etc. It’s just going to be for minimal home shop use, but I do work with a lot of mild steel. Just wondering how well it will turn bushings, small shaft, pins, etc..

Going to spend some time on the forums making a list of do’s and don’ts and general practices as far as shop temperature settings, general care, etc. etc. I know the basics but feel free to FLOOD me with all your tidbits of information lol.

Thanks,
Jason
I have a King 1236. Mine is significantly older, but other than some age-related quirks I like it. That age of machine at that price seems like a great place to start. Like someone said, you can always sell it later if you change your mind.

Tomc938

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I am not a fan of QCTP tooling for beginning tooling. I truly believe that starting with HSS and grinding your own tools leads to better work and greater understanding of the cutting process. It isn't a shortcut to start with carbide on a small lathe, as it is very hard to diagnose problems with carbide cutters in some materials. (I'm looking at you 4140 and 4340)
I would agree. I use a QCTP, but use it with HSS. Not sure if my lathe is "small" but I consistently get better results with HSS vs carbide. With only a little practice you can get a knife sharp edge, and when it dulls, you can touch it on the stone and you're back to new. Once you have a piece of HSS, you are set for MANY re-sharpening, as compared to carbide that is constantly getting duller with use until you have to toss it out. (One other personal foible: I want to get maximum life out of the carbide cutters I do have, but I often get the used ones mixed up with the new ones and I can't tell what's what without an investment of time every time I change the cutter)