Compressor $600 Sylvan Lake, AB

Ironman

Ultra Member
I looked at that picture and thought it is the spitting image of my Quincy 325. I went online and found out that yes, Quincy did make compressors for Binks. A Quincy is very good lifetime machine but parts crossover is a issue according to Smokstak.

historicalarms

Ultra Member
The tank has to be checked thoroughly. I've seen the energy released by one that has let go.... It does look like a great setup at a great price.
I agree 1000x I was standing outside our shop when the hot water tank my old man converted to a compressor reservoir let go ....as my neighbor said when he pulled the trigger on a plugged shotgun barrel "biggest damn bang I ever heard".

Jswain

Joe
Hydro testing the tank is definitely a good idea. People don't take compressed air serious enough.

The vertical tanks are a lot better then horizontal for not turning into shrapnel tho

Ironman

Ultra Member
Prob all that thing would ever need is gaskets, oil & occasionally lapping the valves
Yes. The 325 I have was made in 1938 and things like crank and rod bearings are readily available. Valves are a flat plate and valves and springs are readily available in Edmonton. For the year of my machine the head gasket is not. I just made one.
As Dabler says, the tank may be rotted, but for that price I'd grab it, forget the motor, a new 325 head alone is 4 grand US.

Ironman

Ultra Member
Poop:oops: I talked myself into it. I'll pick it up Sunday for a spare head.

Last time the compressor was down, I felt like one of those tranny's after an operation, where they took off the wrong head. I was useless, you never realize how much you rely on air til you don't have it. No CNC plasma, no impacts, no gouging, no cleaning parts, and I had to tell people I was broke down and unable to do the jobs. So my son is busy breaking all my impact driver socket adapters while this is going on.

Jswain

Joe
Poop:oops: I talked myself into it. I'll pick it up Sunday for a spare head.

Last time the compressor was down, I felt like one of those tranny's after an operation, where they took off the wrong head. I was useless, you never realize how much you rely on air til you don't have it. No CNC plasma, no impacts, no gouging, no cleaning parts, and I had to tell people I was broke down and unable to do the jobs. So my son is busy breaking all my impact driver socket adapters while this is going on.
I was thinking of doing the same as I do quite a bit of sandblasting.

Glad someone is getting it though!!

Post some pics when you get it home

Ironman

Ultra Member
I was thinking of doing the same as I do quite a bit of sandblasting.

Glad someone is getting it though!!

Post some pics when you get it home
Once I got to see it and test it at his place, and see the data label, it is a Quincy QR25 325-12. It is the same 325 as I have but my Record of Change is -4 from1932, this ROC is -12 and that puts it as 1971. The ROC numbers now are in the 108 area. It ran well and built up air quickly as it should for a 18.6cfm pump.
That ridiculous tank has to go. Only a fool would perch 300+ pounds of reciprocating mass on top of a tank under a 20" base.
I'm please with having a spare pump, as my 80 year old head will someday go to it's just reward. It has earned it.
This pump has had the oil changed last year, owner said. Looking at the air filter scares me to think what the oil must have looked like, so before putting it into service I will check the base for sludge. The newer QR series have a spin on filter on the end of the oil pump, but not this vintage. I note the intercooler fins are plugged with dust, and the air cleaner likewise, but at least there is one.
So I got it unloaded today, I noted the welds holding the platform to the top of the tank....that ain't factory. There has never been a belt guard on it, no signs of mounts or holes.
So it seems this was a mix'n'match thing, but a new 325 head is 4500US and this is a cheap backup.

Attachments

• DSC05669.JPG
    DSC05669.JPG
    300.4 KB · Views: 21
  • DSC05672.JPG
    DSC05672.JPG
    344.9 KB · Views: 19
  • DSC05671.JPG
    DSC05671.JPG
    373.2 KB · Views: 17
  • DSC05673.JPG
    DSC05673.JPG
    443.3 KB · Views: 17
  • DSC05674.JPG
    DSC05674.JPG
    379.2 KB · Views: 19
  • DSC05676.JPG
    DSC05676.JPG
    331.5 KB · Views: 18
  • DSC05675.JPG
    DSC05675.JPG
    361.2 KB · Views: 21

Jswain

Joe
I figured it was a mismatch assembly. Like you said, you got the spare pump plus a 5hp Baldor out of the deal. Looks good!