Compound Gear for Kenmore Sewing Machine Stitch Selector

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
Wife says that you are a very talented man. Coming from her that is one hell of a compliment. She is a seamstress.
I forgot about that until now.....

I have fabric that is one sided colour I’d like to sew together to make a curtain, so each side is the same colour

But I don’t have extra material on the width for a fancy tuck and hem, only on the height do I have room to play

The material won’t fray so that’s not an issue

I’m next to clueless on sewing so don’t know my options

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member

I have fabric that is one sided colour I’d like to sew together to make a curtain, so each side is the same colour

But I don’t have extra material on the width for a fancy tuck and hem, only on the height do I have room to play

Paper Stapler..... my sewing machine of choice:p

Last edited:

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member

Wife says:

1. Sew it all the way around and turn it inside out. Just need a 1/4 inch or so on the sides.

2. Cut some off the top/bottom and make an edge out of it for the sides.

3. Buy a different material for the side edging that matches.

4. Add seam binding on the edges.

5. Bring it here next time you are in Chatham and she will do it for you.

Chicken lights

Wife says:

1. Sew it all the way around and turn it inside out. Just need a 1/4 inch or so on the sides.

2. Cut some off the top/bottom and make an edge out of it for the sides.

3. Buy a different material for the side edging that matches.

4. Add seam binding on the edges.

5. Bring it here next time you are in Chatham and she will do it for you.
F32017D1-9935-4342-B479-A4F25F5DE5E4.jpeg Interesting, that she had that many solutions, for something that had me pondering

Old is on the right, first prototype is on the left. It’s always fascinating getting a peep into someone else’s hobby specialty. Please tell the “wife” I said thank you and that she’s too good for you, sir

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
View attachment 21429Interesting, that she had that many solutions, for something that had me pondering

Old is on the right, first prototype is on the left. It’s always fascinating getting a peep into someone else’s hobby specialty. Please tell the “wife” I said thank you and that she’s too good for you, sir

Will do. And yes, she is.

I'm like you. But I would have had at least one solution. Spray both sides with flexible contact cement and glue them together, then cut or stitch and cut along the edge.

historicalarms

Ultra Member
Hey Chicken, next trip by here bring your sewing projects with you, that room beside my gun room is a dedicated sewing room that is run by a woman that has made bride & graduation dresses for 40 yrs...if nothing else she will certainly give you the directions you need to complete your stuff at home.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Hey Chicken, next trip by here bring your sewing projects with you, that room beside my gun room is a dedicated sewing room that is run by a woman that has made bride & graduation dresses for 40 yrs...if nothing else she will certainly give you the directions you need to complete your stuff at home.

My girl does wedding parties, bridal gowns, custom dresses, furniture upholstery, suits and pants, draperies, etc etc. too!

I hope our ladies never meet. It will either be a giant cat fight or both of us will get killed.

Reminds me of a true story. My wife sewed long before we met. After we met, her dad invited me to an ethic party. I had no clothes to wear to such a big deal. So she made me a suit. I put it on and everything fit perfect except the crotch which was down to my knees. My mom took one look at it and said. "Oh oh, you've been lying again haven't you! She is going to be really disappointed on your wedding night....."

Chicken lights

Yessir. I actually had the fabric with me, last trip, but it was still on the roll.

Sounds like a bunch of the guys and their wives sew, it “probably” can’t be that hard to figure out

I think I just shot myself in the foot saying that

j_daw_g

Brand New Member
Out of curiosity, is there any chance that you could share the model number of the machine? I'm about to lose my vintage Kenmore to an identical fate.