Compact rotary broach

Arbutus

Super User
Premium Member
The hunnydo list was completed about a month ago and my love gave me a pile of round tuits to use.

The first one was used to complete (and document) this compact rotary broach. My design is similar to the Hemmingway kit, although I have chosen different bearings and different dimensions to suit the stock I had on hand. It should take about a half day to make. The cutters are also easy to make from O1 or A2 tool steel. If you don't make your own tooling, then this design accepts any standard commercial 8mm shank x 28mm broach. Longer broaches can be fitted, and the head can be adjusted to allow for the extra length.

There are PDF drawings, one for each part, together with some exploded views.

Compact broach finished & unfinished cutters .33.png Compact broach Parts.png Compact rotary broach Exploded.png Pin wrench.33.png

Arbutus

Super User
Premium Member
PDF drawings...

Attachments

• 28x8mm Broach tool Drawing.pdf
    257.4 KB · Views: 38
  • Compact broach Bearing lock Drawing.pdf
    250 KB · Views: 30
  • Compact broach Casing Drawing.pdf
    352.5 KB · Views: 28
  • Compact broach Mount drawing.pdf
    231.5 KB · Views: 29
  • Compact broach shaft Drawing.pdf
    65.6 KB · Views: 23
  • Pin wrench Drawing.pdf
    91.2 KB · Views: 26

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
How many PDF drawings should there be? You posted two of the "shaft Drawing"?

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
The hunnydo list was completed about a month ago and my love gave me a pile of round tuits to use.

The first one was used to complete (and document) this compact rotary broach. My design is similar to the Hemmingway kit, although I have chosen different bearings and different dimensions to suit the stock I had on hand. It should take about a half day to make. The cutters are also easy to make from O1 or A2 tool steel. If you don't make your own tooling, then this design accepts any standard commercial 8mm shank x 28mm broach. Longer broaches can be fitted, and the head can be adjusted to allow for the extra length.

There are PDF drawings, one for each part, together with some exploded views.

View attachment 36188View attachment 36189View attachment 36190View attachment 36191
Wow! Impressive work. Something for all of us to aspire to.

Tom O

Ultra Member
I have a question about the offset holes seen below the center line as there doesn’t seem to be any dimension. I take it it is for dialing in the size/fit so I would think it‘s not critical.

IMG_0937.png

IMG_0936.png

Arbutus

Super User
Premium Member
I have a question about the offset holes seen below the center line as there doesn’t seem to be any dimension. I take it it is for dialing in the size/fit so I would think it‘s not critical.

View attachment 36304

View attachment 36305
Not critical - M4 screws and a 4mmx4mm slot are shown. On the prototype I actually ended up with M6 screws. The offset is 1mm, which places the centre of the cutter on the axial centerline. Longer tools will require the head to be lowered slightly. I allowed 4mm of travel but 2mm would be plenty.

Arbutus

Super User
Premium Member
FWIW, the O1 cutters work great in anything other than tough steel. The A2 cutters are, in my opinion, easier to make and cut 1045 and stainless etc beautifully.

The starting hole dimension for Hex holes should be the same dia as the across-flats dimension shown on the cutter drawing. The hole MUST be chamfered to start the cutter properly - around 1mm is enough. For square holes, the starting hole should be a little larger (3-5 thou) than the AF dimension, because this very significantly reduces the cutting pressure that is needed (less area being sheared per rev.).

Don

Last edited: