• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Colorshift Paint

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
I made this decorative dragonfly 15 years ago when I had my CNC plasma table. When I re-shingled my garden shed a few weeks ago I had to remove it. Originally I had painted it with a product called "Colorshift." I this it was either RustOleum or 3M...I can't remember, except it was about $50 a rattle can and you can't find it anymore. It was great because as you look at it from different angles the light caused it to change colours. There are some crafty versions of it on Amazon, but they don't look suited for outdoor use.

Can anyone suggest a similar product in a rattle can that has those little flecks in it for this application? The original one I used was a blue/green shift—perfect for the dragonfly.

Has anyone used the Plasti Dip Chameleon product?

1599940176277.png

1599940133423.png

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I bet I have some AutoAir or Wicked color shift or iridescence that have been sitting in a box. I think they are 2 oz bottles but likely right volume for a smaller project like your bug. The thing is, this system is water based so you require clear coat over it. And being outdoors, a decent clear with UV protection, basically car paint. I know you mentioned you prefer rattle can but maybe you could get the 2K clear in a can? Supposedly it has infinite shelf life & most what I kept is sealed, but it might be approaching infinity. You are welcome to it but suggest you experiment on scrap.
https://autoaircolors.com/pearl-and-metallic-colors/pearlescent-colors/4301.html
https://autoaircolors.com/pearl-and-metallic-colors/flakes-colors/4411.html

I have purchased this type of iridescent system in small mixes in the solvent based world (House of Kolor). It is very pricey because of the minerals that go into them.

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
I may take you up on this Peter. I just finished watching this video for PlastiDip Chameleon. I laughed at these products years ago but both my son and I have had terrific luck with them, so I think I will try this first as I already have the Matt Black for under it.

Last edited:

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
@CalgaryPT - do you have the plans for the dragon fly? My wife would love that - I could fab it out of stainless
Sadly no, not anymore. I got them off the Internet, but can't recall if it was free or I paid for it. I was lots of fun...I do remember that.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
That video reminds me of an important point - a lot of the color shift paints are fussy about what kind of under paint must be present for best results. Some prefer black, some a base color in the low range of the shift. The products all vary but best to read the fine print. I'll hunt around in the box & let you know what I find.

Its just a really cool look. For example, a different kind of bug lol

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
UPDATE: I tried the PlastiDip product. Really happy with the result. I wish I had access to a sandblast cabinet to do it right, but the art piece just goes on the roof of a shed, so no one will see the irregularities caused by the chipped paint underneath. Actually, it kind of adds to the realistic look of the giant bug.

You need to lay down a base of black PlastiDip first, then put the Chameleon PlastiDip over that. I choose the Green/Blue version.

Nice colour shift on this product, and it costs a fraction of the 3M ColorShift I used years ago.

Once again I am impressed by these PlastiDip products. I laughed at them at first when my son used it on his rims years ago. But It looked great and lasted 5 years, so I was wrong to laugh at it.

Needs a second coat, and I know my prep was terrible, but I was just anxious to check out the colour.

1601158346420.png

1601158046994.png

1601158128638.png

1601158185204.png

1601158262198.png

1601158299050.png

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Boy those really are beautiful, nice work that I wish i was capable of. I bet the pictures really don't do them justice especially with the unique paint job.