• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Colchester Student $5500 Chilliwack BC

I think I've seen this one posted here before, but it seems the price has been reduced. Price is starting to seem reasonable IF the extras are as described.

1628263724188.png

<quote>
Colchester Student 6 Lathe 13"swing x 28" between centers in excellent condition. Made in England.
Like new 10" 4 jaw chuck and 8" 3 jaw chuck. 8 geared spindle speeds 54 to 1200 rpm.
Steady rest. 1.5" hole thro spindle. Original 4 way indexing/locking tool post.
Metric and inch thread cutting. Forward and reverse switch.
Price $5500

PLUS tooling....... Drill chuck, running center, some cutting tools, dial gauge, surface gauge, vernier caliper, micrometer, calipers etc.
</quote>

Tom Fitzpatrick

What price would this lathe have been new? How old is this lathe or when was it built? Seems like quite a high price in my opinion.

What price would this lathe have been new? How old is this lathe or when was it built? Seems like quite a high price in my opinion.

Compared to similar size gear head lathes I'm seeing sell for 2500-3500 with next to no tooling or accessories, its not a bad price IMO. Probably at the top-end of what one might consider 'reasonable'.

And who cares what it sold for originally? I've seen basic atlas lathes sell for $2000. Is that 'more' that what it sold for?

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
Road trip,,,,,, covid is over,,,,,,,(note of sarcasm). Unless Tom's parents are going in that direction you'd be freighting it.
Not being in that area makes it difficult for me to help out.

Road trip,,,,,, covid is over,,,,,,,(note of sarcasm). Unless Tom's parents are going in that direction you'd be freighting it.
Not being in that area makes it difficult for me to help out.

If it was kamloops i might give it a try. I unfortunately dont have a trailer and I cant see that lathe sitting well in my 2010 ranger from chilliwack to here.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
If it was kamloops i might give it a try. I unfortunately dont have a trailer and I cant see that lathe sitting well in my 2010 ranger from chilliwack to here.

There are some Calgary forum members that have trailers they might lend out......... I'm not one of them, as in I don't have a trailer.

Tom O

Ultra Member
I had no problem when I went from Victoria to Calgary with a uhaul trailer loaded down with Dads machinery and tools a few years back.

Uhaul is just one of those companies I've dealt with occasionally over the last 30 years and have had multiple bad experiences. Most/all of us likely have a short list of companies that we utter 'never again' when their name comes up - Uhaul is that one for me.

trlvn

Ultra Member
Uhaul is just one of those companies I've dealt with occasionally over the last 30 years and have had multiple bad experiences. Most/all of us likely have a short list of companies that we utter 'never again' when their name comes up - Uhaul is that one for me.
+1

Craig

I think I've seen this one posted here before, but it seems the price has been reduced. Price is starting to seem reasonable IF the extras are as described.

View attachment 16478

<quote>
Colchester Student 6 Lathe 13"swing x 28" between centers in excellent condition. Made in England.
Like new 10" 4 jaw chuck and 8" 3 jaw chuck. 8 geared spindle speeds 54 to 1200 rpm.
Steady rest. 1.5" hole thro spindle. Original 4 way indexing/locking tool post.
Metric and inch thread cutting. Forward and reverse switch.
Price $5500

PLUS tooling....... Drill chuck, running center, some cutting tools, dial gauge, surface gauge, vernier caliper, micrometer, calipers etc.
</quote>

Opps forgot the link

https://abbotsford.craigslist.org/tls/d/chilliwack-west-new-pricecolchester/7361280462.html