• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Colchester Student 1800 govdeals auction

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
Grande Prairie
21398_202_2.jpg

Finhead

Looks like a great deal other than this.

Mechanical/operational issues - Does not track properly to cut threads

Xyphota

Ultra Member
Maybe someone was trying to cut metric threads on an imperial lead screw and didn't realize you can't disengage the power feed?

I'd be all over this if I didn't just deplete my tooling budget lol

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Its a 13x40 lathe - i.e. longer bed. Looks like in excellent shape. It is far away so maybe price will be lower... not sure.

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
I attached a screen shoot of the govdeal page showing the auction close price, did the attachment not show in my previous post?

trevj

Ultra Member
I no longer trust descriptions

An insider could be trying to buy this cheap and as such included such a description, then they have a friend buy it for them.
The Storesman that deals with the stuff coming and going knows bugger-all, about machine tools. All he or she knows is what the user (wrong, or maliciously in error) tells him or her.

My buck would be on that someone who expected the lathe to 'just work', had no clues about the various gear trains that need be arranged, when switching from the various threading systems (module/DP, Metric/Inch, etc.) and like as not, IF the correct gears are there, they are improperly installed.

The only other mechanical failure that can throw off threading is if the shear pin on the lead screw is blown and only working by friction, occasionally slipping under load.

Even with a Quick Change Gear Box for thread cutting, it is standard to have a small selection of gears that need be changed, on these Colchesters. IIRC, there is a set of four or five gears that come as standard equipment, but I would have to check my manual for my Master 2500 to be positive. They are close enough in size, that switching them the wrong way around is pretty easy. Several of them are all within a tooth count of others.

Page 12 (page 10 of the scanned pages own page numbering) here https://lathespares.com/pdf/colchester_master_2500.pdf shows the gears. Scanned page number 24 shows a pin PN 73607-0, that I believe is the shear pin for the lead screw (follow the LH bottom side of the page up, fifth item up, vertically on the page).

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
With gas to Calgary its around $5000 CAD. Not a deal at all. Heck, there are lathes in Calgary for around $5000 in same size and you can inspect them to make sure they work OK.

Auction is a lottery. Threading may be fine, just bad gears arranged or it may be missing teeth in gearbox as they crashed the threading tool into the chuck.

There could be other issues not mentioned.

Or it could be that the lathe has no threading issues at all - just someone did not know what they are talking about and all else is perfect as well.