• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Cobalt End Mills

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
Look down a drill from the point end. The web is the little bit of steel that connect the two flutes of the drill.

When you pilot a hole there is no need to drill larger than the web, and drilling it much larger is counterproductive: the drill bites too fast and you risk breaking or chipping the drill.
Really?

So on, say, a 3/4” drill you only really need roughly a 1/4” pilot? Or less?

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
yup. If you use a 3/8 or 1/2 you aren't doing yourself a favour.

now, when using a 300 watt hand drill, it may be the only way. that's different.

trlvn

Ultra Member
Really?

So on, say, a 3/4” drill you only really need roughly a 1/4” pilot? Or less?
yup. If you use a 3/8 or 1/2 you aren't doing yourself a favour.

now, when using a 300 watt hand drill, it may be the only way. that's different.
Jumping from 1/4" to 3/4" requires a lot of power. Neither my lathe or drill press would be able to open a hole that much in steel or even cast iron.

BTW, @Chicken lights I found a good illustration of a drill's web:

Web.png

Many more details at:
http://www.vikingdrill.com/viking-DrillBitTerms.php

Craig

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
Jumping from 1/4" to 3/4" requires a lot of power. Neither my lathe or drill press would be able to open a hole that much in steel or even cast iron.

As I implied above, if you have a low torque machine you do what you have to do. It is harder on the drill.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Really? So on, say, a 3/4” drill you only really need roughly a 1/4” pilot? Or less?

Recognize this is only from the perspective of web clearance. A 90-deg pilot hole edge is not a great way to ensure centering accuracy. That's why we try to choose a center drill with ideally same angle as the drill itself. Which then begs the question - so how do I then drill progressively from .25 to 1.00 because there will be lots of intermediate 90-deg holes without the lip angle to mate to the next drill? Nobody really talks about that but the answers I'm aware of are
- pre-chamfer the hole so the lip matches the drill angle of next (which is kind of a pita unless you have big 118 or 120 deg countersinks)
- you accept that hole drilling is a roughing operation mostly intending to remove material & you will correct the final hole with a boring operation
- possibly replace the successive drilling with annular cutters or similar & take the big lump out in one operation

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
If the hole is not very deep I had success with just use of center drill as the only drill - they made very quick 1/2" holes in 1/4" mild steel bar.

I am going to make a lot of 1.125 holes in mild still this weekend. I don't need them to be perfectly 1.125 - in fact if they are 1.135 or 1.14 I am totally fine with that (they are for pins in the H frame shop press). I am not 100% sure what I use yet - I have to check what 1.125 drills I have but I probably just centre drill with large enough size to clear the web of the 1 1/8" drill and go straight to 1 1/8".