• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

CNC plasma table build

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
been working on this for a little bit now, its pretty much a langmuir systems cross fire knock off, i bought the stl files off jdsgarage for the bearing blocks (and plans...wich i have deviated quite a bit). im not sure how long the 3d printed bearings blocks will last...time will tell

i designed a few of the msc pieces and 3d printed them, i have a bit to go yet, but its coming along

IMG_20220529_141435_911.jpg IMG_20220529_155454_192.jpg IMG_20220605_221733_250.jpg IMG_20220605_221805_158.jpg IMG_20220611_164747_040.jpg IMG_20220611_175526_326.jpg idler pulley.png belt clamp.png

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
After a bit of a learning curve with the various softwares and being unable to connect to my first break out board I was able to make it cut imaginary things this evening, yey!

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
After a bit of a learning curve with the various softwares and being unable to connect to my first break out board I was able to make it cut imaginary things this evening, yey!

Well done, what software is that?

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
Which plasma machine are you using?

A hypertherm powermax45, I have a cutmaster 42 aswell, but it eats consumables, and I couldn't find any good info how to wire it up for CNC control...so I figured with the ease of hooking up the hypertherm and the reported good consumable life it was time to upgrade

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I have a cheap Cut 60 blowback start on mine and I just wired in a second connector that is controlled by my software. That was I can still use it as a hand held if I need it.

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
I have a cheap Cut 60 blowback start on mine and I just wired in a second connector that is controlled by my software. That was I can still use it as a hand held if I need it.

How well does that work (the cut60)? I thought about trying one of the Chinese cutters out, ended up going hypertherm because I do from time to time need to use the plasma on site and thought the possible reliability was worth it

Definitely having it so you can still use the hand torch is the way to go, I ended up buying the machine torch and cpc port for that very reason, I use it to rip sheets down...and of course on site from time to time

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
How well does that work (the cut60)? I thought about trying one of the Chinese cutters out, ended up going hypertherm because I do from time to time need to use the plasma on site and thought the possible reliability was worth it

Definitely having it so you can still use the hand torch is the way to go, I ended up buying the machine torch and cpc port for that very reason, I use it to rip sheets down...and of course on site from time to time
It works very well. I don't have a lot of time on it but so far it's been trouble free. I've looked at machine torches but I haven't bought one yet.

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
Honestly I would have liked to have just used the hand torch and avoid buying the machine torch ... It was super expensive...but to use the hand torch it had to be opened up and safety's disabled, looked like a pretty permanent thing, and I'm not always the one using the plasma when it goes to site, so removing safety's not a great idea

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Honestly I would have liked to have just used the hand torch and avoid buying the machine torch ... It was super expensive...but to use the hand torch it had to be opened up and safety's disabled, looked like a pretty permanent thing, and I'm not always the one using the plasma when it goes to site, so removing safety's not a great idea
The expense is the one reason I haven't bought a machine torch. I just can't justify it!

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
Some updates, ive been upping my fusion 360 game and designed and printed the floating z axis, it took a couple iterations, originally i tried with a magnetic breakaway torch mount, but the stiffness of the machine torch lead was just to much for the magnets, ditched that and went solid, the belts should skip before any damage can be done anyhow

made up the slats for the water table, and started on an enclosure, yes its small and tight, i am adding a fan.....i was trying to fit it in an off cut i had of .062 rather than chopping up a new chunk

IMG_20220622_145552_928.jpg IMG_20220622_151814_459.jpg

IMG_20220623_200531_929.jpg IMG_20220623_200417_971.jpg

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
It lives ! I fought with the wrong setup for a few hours to get the floating z to work properly, so here it is, the first .....not complete....and second pieces cut....there is some fine tuning to be done....but she's functional, yey! I'm sure my wife will be happy to have me back...for a couple days anyhow ;)

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
An update to this, i found the cantilever y axis to not be rigid enough with the z axis initial height sensing

Close to the x no problem, further out the torch would touch down, flex the y axis up untill it tripped....and screw up all the backlash compensation programmed in, and drag the torch all over the material, sometimes dragging the material with it

I probabaly could have just ripped the z axis off and called it good.....but this is a project, that would be to easy and no fun

I've rebuilt it with round linear rails (overkill, but cheap and a time saver), an aluminum gantry, got rid of a bunch of 3d printed stuff, upgraded the x axis motor (higher torque and double shaft to drive both sides of the gantry)

I haven't tested it out yet, still need to wire the new x axis motor, and am working on a Arduino torch heigh controller

Anyways, everyone likes pictures, so here are some new ones

IMG_20220807_171050_254.jpg
IMG_20220807_173922_070.jpg
IMG_20220807_174253_593.jpg
IMG_20220807_173935_984.jpg

Last edited: