• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.
  • The 2026 Calgary Area Meetup is set for Saturday May 30th at 10am. The signup thread is here! Robinhood has graciously offered to host the meetup again this year. Please note that you MUST RSVP to the notice linked above if you wish to come.

CNC Plasma cutter - reviews and input

dialedin

Colin
As i stated in the other thread, i've decided a cnc plasma table will be the next large item for my shop. I have not decided if i'd like to build one or buy one yet. So i'd wondering what guys have or have used, what they think of them. What features do you feel are a must and what you think is probably something that is not worth the money. This will mainly be used on the farm for making up parts and brackets and other project i occasionally do. I would like something with a water table, either 4x4 or 4x8, and if at all possible, Canadian made.

I was originally looking at the arcdroid, but there seems to be at least as many reviews by those who hate it as those who love it so i've kinda decided against that one.
Does anyone have or used an easyxycnc table? or a halo innovations table? Both have caught my eye purely on price point but i have no reviews on either.
The fab-cut ones are also sharp looking as well, but again no reviews and they seem to be on the pricier side.
If anyone has any input i'd be happy to hear about your experiences.
 
Its the software is what makes breaks a good setup, a plasma table is pretty simple to put together, they dont need a lot of rigidity or high precision parts to cut perfectly acceptable pieces

If you intend to buy or build thats where i would focus my attention
 
If I were building this is what I would use.
 
If I were building this is what I would use.
I’m always Leary of the no price web sites thinking that they will flood the inbox with offers and such
 
I've been running my own for 25 years. I currently have Multi-cam, before that and Plasmacam. I used to be fairly busy with it but anymore, not so much. I had days where I would cut 1/2" plate all day. I have the biggest torch Hypertherm makes. It makes all the difference. IMHO. They are cheap enough now that a lot of shops have them. With several online places that cut and ship parts it's hard to compete.
The biggest downside to running one is the smoke and dust. Without the down draft system running I can fill the shop full of smoke in 10 minutes.
There is a place in Kingston ON that makes systems, cause if you have problems support is vital.
If you want to talk about it, call me.
 
As i stated in the other thread, i've decided a cnc plasma table will be the next large item for my shop. I have not decided if i'd like to build one or buy one yet. So i'd wondering what guys have or have used, what they think of them. What features do you feel are a must and what you think is probably something that is not worth the money. This will mainly be used on the farm for making up parts and brackets and other project i occasionally do. I would like something with a water table, either 4x4 or 4x8, and if at all possible, Canadian made.

I was originally looking at the arcdroid, but there seems to be at least as many reviews by those who hate it as those who love it so i've kinda decided against that one.
Does anyone have or used an easyxycnc table? or a halo innovations table? Both have caught my eye purely on price point but i have no reviews on either.
The fab-cut ones are also sharp looking as well, but again no reviews and they seem to be on the pricier side.
If anyone has any input i'd be happy to hear about your experiences.
I am more of the mind of building it myself but that is just me. This is a hobby and gives me a chance to unwind and make things. So my perspective is from the budget diy side. You can buy packages for very decent prices. There are tables that are made from angle iron, so no really expensive parts. Also if you keep an eye on the online market places you will see commercial tables from time to time.

I picked jds garage for the 3d printed one as it fits all the parts I had other then some hardware. So its in my ball park. For a larger table think about what do you want to do with it. As in what are you cutting, how often, how large, how thick. Are you going to need a water tank? Do you need a power lift in the tank? Options can grow to be crazy. JD's does have some bigger table designs and there is no end to how many designs are out there, some free, some horribly expensive.

I think plasma cnc tables get caught up a lot of the time with bigger is better, you want the capacity at some time kind of thing. One shop I did some work in down sized they went from a huge table that was 12 foot by 20, had several tanks, could cut 8 inch plate, plasma cutter itself looked like a small freezer with nitrogen. Was worth millions for the entire setup. They down sized to a 5 x 12 table and the plasma cutter was like 1/4 the size of the big one. We pulled the wiring for the big one and then setup the wiring for the new smaller one. The small one looked comical sitting in the same spot as the big one. They never used the big one to its full size. The owner told us they only used like 4 or 5 feet off the one corner. He sold it and bought the smaller one. The small one was 50k at the time.
 
Thank you for the input everyone. I do enjoy building things so i'm not opposed to making my own; however i currently have enough 'hobbies', projects and to-dos on the go that i dont really need another thing on the list. I havent looked into that avenue fully yet, but unless the cost savings are significant i likely wont go that way.

My two main take-aways thus far are, get a good torch and good software. I probably dont need a 4x8 but i have the space it so we'll see i guess. My main objective is to be able to make parts and brackets for the machinery and other projects around here. Im not interested in doing a ton of custom cut work, though i would be happy to cut things for anyone in a jam if need be.
vThe biggest downside to running one is the smoke and dust. Without the down draft system running I can fill the shop full of smoke in 10 minutes.
There is a place in Kingston ON that makes systems, cause if you have problems support is vital.
If you want to talk about it, call me.
I wouldnt mind chatting about it sometime if you've got a minute. I'll send you a PM.
How does a water table compare to a downdraft table? I was leaning towards water but i'm open to all options. I believe it is fab-cut that is Kingston based. They make a very sharp looking table, though no pricing on their website.
 
building your own is cheaper no doubt there, nothing for a plasma table is really big, heavy duty or expensive (relativly)

a budget table like a langmuir systems 4x3 crossfire is 3200usd, so 4500 cad + shipping, duty, tax, 5000$

you can easily build a table that size for less than half that price with good parts, even less if you do some kind of skateboard bearing setup like they do

i dont remember what mine cost, but with a stand alone controller, stand along thc, round linear bearings, drivers, everything, i may have spent 1500$, its not 4x8, but it would not cost much more to go that big,

if you have the budget (round linear bearings) you can put one together in probably a weekend or two, if your trying to save money and do something with skate bearings or some other method its going to take longer
 
Thank you for the input everyone. I do enjoy building things so i'm not opposed to making my own; however i currently have enough 'hobbies', projects and to-dos on the go that i dont really need another thing on the list. I havent looked into that avenue fully yet, but unless the cost savings are significant i likely wont go that way.

My two main take-aways thus far are, get a good torch and good software. I probably dont need a 4x8 but i have the space it so we'll see i guess. My main objective is to be able to make parts and brackets for the machinery and other projects around here. Im not interested in doing a ton of custom cut work, though i would be happy to cut things for anyone in a jam if need be.

I wouldnt mind chatting about it sometime if you've got a minute. I'll send you a PM.
How does a water table compare to a downdraft table? I was leaning towards water but i'm open to all options. I believe it is fab-cut that is Kingston based. They make a very sharp looking table, though no pricing on their website.
PM me and I'll send you my phone #.
 
I would think that the controller and torch would be the most expensive part. A PA mid-strength one is over 1000, maybe less if on sale. not sure if an everlast or something of similar amperage would be cheaper or not.

i dont remember what mine cost, but with a stand alone controller, stand along thc, round linear bearings, drivers, everything, i may have spent 1500$, its not 4x8, but it would not cost much more to go that big,

That seems reasonable, how long ago was your build?
 
bit of a thread resurrection here, sorry for the radio silence and a lack of a phone call mike. we started harvest not long after i made the initial thread and my foot has not come off the gas since!

Just wondering if anyone was using a plasmatech table. there is a 4x4 one at auction this week, says it hasnt been used in years. if it goes cheap enough, just the table alone might be worth having even if the electronics are no good.
 
Back
Top