• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

CNC Plasma Cut British Motorcycles

Tmate

This may not be the place for it, but here are some 19 inch long shapes I just cut from 11 gauge steel using my small CNC plasma table.

Attachments

• Vincent Black Shadow.jpg
    Vincent Black Shadow.jpg
    327.2 KB · Views: 8
  • Triumph Bonneville TT Special.JPG
    Triumph Bonneville TT Special.JPG
    344.5 KB · Views: 6
  • Matchless 500cc.jpg
    Matchless 500cc.jpg
    420.1 KB · Views: 6
  • BSA Gold Star.jpg
    BSA Gold Star.jpg
    399.4 KB · Views: 8
  • 2x2 CNC Plasma.jpg
    2x2 CNC Plasma.jpg
    621.4 KB · Views: 11

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
This is definitely the place for it! However if you're selling them then there is a classified section that might generate more sales results for you. Cool stuff

Tmate

This is definitely the place for it! However if you're selling them then there is a classified section that might generate more sales results for you. Cool stuff

I have no interest in selling them. I just do it for fun. Here are some more shapes I cut out for the Holidays.

Attachments

•  four trees.jpg
    four trees.jpg
    475.7 KB · Views: 6
  • Christmas Carol figures.JPG
    Christmas Carol figures.JPG
    256.8 KB · Views: 6

Snocrusher

(Greg)
Very nice, I belong to the Antique Motorcycle Club of Manitoba.
I'm sure there some in the club that would like a silhouette of their bike.

Tomc938

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Very cool!

Do you do your own designs or are the files available online somewhere?

Tmate

Very cool!

Do you do your own designs or are the files available online somewhere?
I do them all myself. Most of the on-line dxf files are either overly simplistic or unworkable using plasma arc. They either contain shapes within other shapes that will fall apart, or lines that are way too close together for plasma unless your figure is impossibly huge.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
I built it myself. I used Flashcut driver software & electronics. Draw the shapes in CorelDraw.
Tell us more! That’s a fantastic build Tmate. Does it have a torch height sensor? What was your budget? More pictures!

Tmate

My table has a small capacity (about 18" square) so it doesn't need a height control. I buy 11 gauge steel in 15" or so squares, and in that small size it is flat. If I want to make something bigger, I do it in two pieces and tack weld them together. All the bikes were done this way. The table itself is a pretty simple build using a lot of off the shelf parts, and not particularly expensive. The Flashcut CNC electronics and software aren't cheap, but are virtually turn-key and vastly superior to that used on most of the bargain cutting tables out there.

I keep the machine under my back deck, with the compressor, plasma cutter, and computer just inside my basement door. Origa (Parker) linear rails and roller cassettes were used. Cheap ball bearing linear rails won't work here. The table is constructed of 8020 aluminum extrusions. See photos.

Attachments

• basement door.JPG
    basement door.JPG
    205 KB · Views: 14
  • 4 extrusions in place.jpg
    4 extrusions in place.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 14
  • rail2.jpg
    rail2.jpg
    371.8 KB · Views: 13
  • timing pulleys1.jpg
    timing pulleys1.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 13
  • new rack holes.jpg
    new rack holes.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 15

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
My table has a small capacity (about 18" square) so it doesn't need a height control. I buy 11 gauge steel in 15" or so squares, and in that small size it is flat. If I want to make something bigger, I do it in two pieces and tack weld them together. All the bikes were done this way. The table itself is a pretty simple build using a lot of off the shelf parts, and not particularly expensive. The Flashcut CNC electronics and software aren't cheap, but are virtually turn-key and vastly superior to that used on most of the bargain cutting tables out there.

I keep the machine under my back deck, with the compressor, plasma cutter, and computer just inside my basement door. Origa (Parker) linear rails and roller cassettes were used. Cheap ball bearing linear rails won't work here. The table is constructed of 8020 aluminum extrusions. See photos.

Nice machine. Where did you source the gears?

Chris Cramer

Super User
Vendor
Premium Member
I do them all myself. Most of the on-line dxf files are either overly simplistic or unworkable using plasma arc. They either contain shapes within other shapes that will fall apart, or lines that are way too close together for plasma unless your figure is impossibly huge.
I agree that online dxf files are often too simple, but if you use a hypertherm plasma cutter you can cut some pretty small detailed designs with the fine cut consumables, as long as the metal is thin enough. Hypertherm also manufactures consumables that can be used for marking thicker steel which I use for engraving.
I like the designs you put into the motorcycle, I also like cutting highly detailed designs for decorative purposes.

Chris Cramer

Super User
Vendor
Premium Member
The way you designed the gantry for your plasma cutter is pretty similar to the way I designed my laser engraving machine. Only the laser I use is not nearly powerful enough to cut metal, so I purchased an crossfire pro from Langmuir Systems, and use a hypertherm powermax 45xp.