• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

cnc, pattern, mold & aluminum casting

Bofobo

M,Mizera(BOFOBO)
Just keep temps as low as possible so your crucible does not degrade to quickly. It sucks when your pickup tool does not quite fit the replacement after the inevitable melt through

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
The crucible is 1/4"thick with a 3/8" bottom nicely tig welded by a friend of mine. It will be a while before it degrades and I have no intention of using it anymore than I absolutely have to. Way too heavy. It's for casting those few patterns that need 12 lbs of aluminium and for reducing to ingot size my scrap. For the most part I have a silicon carbide #6 and #8.

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
I poured some aluminium bronze shackle parts for a guy named Larry Pardey and his sail boat Taleisin a number of years ago. Also bronze for my Gingery Lathe Top Slide. Past that only aluminium. Had I continued on the track to build a Lyle Hess cutter (still have the plans) I'd have cast much more of the parts and pieces for it. Maybe if I make a sailing dinghy or a steam launch. But for now. Just aluminium.

What are you casting in brass?

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Hearing the word bronze made me remember something. Many moons ago when I was deep into composites stuff for RC, I came across this place in Cochrane. They were a distributor for ?Smooth-On? & got me some urethane or something, I cant recall. Anyways I remember doing a back shop walk through & seeing some of the casting stuff. Not sure if its a potential resource or just some place to visit one day when the COVID thing passes, hopefully soon-ish

https://www.donbeggstudiowest.ca/

JohnnyTK

I poured some aluminium bronze shackle parts for a guy named Larry Pardey and his sail boat Taleisin a number of years ago. Also bronze for my Gingery Lathe Top Slide. Past that only aluminium. Had I continued on the track to build a Lyle Hess cutter (still have the plans) I'd have cast much more of the parts and pieces for it. Maybe if I make a sailing dinghy or a steam launch. But for now. Just aluminium.

What are you casting in brass?
The story about the boat and couple is amazing, use to listen to the wooden boat podcast and he did a couple of interviews over the years on it. She use to still come over to the festival in Washington. Cool to be part of history in the sailing world.

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
We were invited to a Christmas party at the floating home they were renting in Victoria Harbour. Sat below decks in Taleisin with Larry for a while and chatted about cruising. It was cool. Both Larry and Lynn were very nice.

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
Sorry no pictures of me pouring but today I did get the mount plate poured. The new D handle made it very easy even if it still was quite heavy.

Attachments

• HookingCrucible-4.jpg
    HookingCrucible-4.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 0
  • MountPlateBottom.jpg
    MountPlateBottom.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 0
  • CopeRemoved.jpg
    CopeRemoved.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 0

Tom O

Ultra Member
This pic is from when I made my tongs ( just missing the lifting eyes ) strange huh, but look at how it works. The eye’s would go over the Frankenbolts and as you squeeze the Handle both sides pull in, you’d have to release your grip to get them off making it one hand friendly while using a rod to pour. I use a square steel crucible ( frankenbolts on the corners to give you a natural spout for Aluminum and a clay graphite for brass.
4C7BB8A9-936C-436C-94A8-E654BEDC7B99.jpeg