Close up cutting

What is interesting is this is stop motion photography and give a good simulation of what is happening. With continuous pressure and motion these things change somewhat.

Tooling manufactures use both simulation and high speed photography to get better views of what is happening as there material does perform differently. This has changed how cutters are configured. It has also changed how we view speeds and feeds.

The rate of change in tooling design has increased dramatically as a result, that we as hobbyists/lower end semi-commercial commercial are vastly behind the times.

I would suggest that if you can go to a manufacturing show and see what is on the fore front and what we can only dream of. This extra knowledge does change you approach to machining and tooling as your applications.

However, still, great eye opener for all. Nice find and post.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
This is amazing!

Thank you for that David!

A while back @PeterT posted similar videos that were close-up live full size chips instead of collective still frames. Also very informative!

This is what I try to see in my minds eye when I am thinking about how to understand a process like this. It's so easy to get trapped into thinking about a macro process but that isn't what is really happening. That's just a pile of chips and the surface finish on a part. It isn't the cut itself.

A perfect example of this is cut knurling like @gerritv was working on a while back. I can watch videos till the cows come home but until I can see the cutter peeling off a chip and the metal separating in my mind, I cannot really see or understand what is happening.

Another example is the edge that cuts and how it cuts. We all like to think that the left edge of the tool slowly cuts from right to left. But it really doesn't. Instead, the part spins down onto the top edge of the tool. It's the top of the tool that cuts, not the left edge. Which is also why the torque required to advance the cut with the leade screw is so low!

Thank you David R8!

Bandit

Super User
Just got around to watching the video, the first thing that came to mind, was, hey I've seen that before, hah, looks just like a plow going through the ground. All looks the same, other then laying the sods/chip to the side.
And yes, if you if you can get to a manufacturing show, go, you will very likely get your eyes opened at something you see. You may also cry/wine abit, as, ohhhh, how much did you say? All in hand with, I have to get one of those!