• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Cincinatti milling machine Harley, Ontario

its a fresh ad, someone please go get it, interesting tracer attachment...obsolete long ago but should work as a plain old 3 axis mill

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
Those Cincinatti mills make Bridgeport mills seem flimsy. A great buy for someone needing a mill and has the space.

Aarknoid

I've already done my part this month buying machines. Gonna let some one else get this one :p

6.5 Fan

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Hmm, time to start a "mill of the month club". 12 months=12 milling machines in your shop by next year. Could require copious space and a large bank roll to join the club.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Isn't it a tad ironic that the least useful people tend to be at the top and the highly competent are nearer the bottom??

That would imply they can do anything useful at all, which is not the case.

Ive read several studies that show that very few very successful people are really all that bright and seldom even understand their own business success.

As I recall, the three statistically most important success factors are opportunity (being in the right place at the right time), dumb luck (in the choices they make), and courage (willingness to take big chances).

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Isn't it a tad ironic that the least useful people tend to be at the top and the highly competent are nearer the bottom??
Yup I think the highly competent KNOW what usefulness is and thus work at it and become very good at it, where as the people at the top often do not know what is REALLY useful and land in the top positions partly because of luck and because rest of us suckers that buy into their "schemes" thinking what they have is useful.

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
my best bosses have been the ones that realized that they don’t need to know everything, they just need to surround themselves with people smarter than them. And also knew the only way to keep the smart people around was to treat them well, pay them what they are worth, and stay out of their way and let them do their jobs.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
my best bosses have been the ones that realized that they don’t need to know everything, they just need to surround themselves with people smarter than them. And also knew the only way to keep the smart people around was to treat them well, pay them what they are worth, and stay out of their way and let them do their jobs.
I like that assessment better than my negative one! I bet you are one of the well paid smart ones, good on you!:)