Tool Chucking Reamers

Tool

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
So how exactly does one measure the size of the reamer - size it will cut? Basic idea is just to at least use calipers and measure the distance between blades, but that seems to be rather... not so accurate. Even for fixed size reamers, where the size of the reamer has worn off I am finding it hard to figure out what the size should be. Is there some kind of a trick one can use? For example, When I measure close to 0.5in I am unsure as whatever it is 0.5 or 0.501 or 0.499 - heck it could be as well 0.497.
In context of adjustable, I never have. Its trial fit, adjust a wee bit, trial .... repeat until you take a cut and the matting part fits. For example, 1/2 piece needs a close sliding in a 1/2" hole. You use a 1/2 reamer but it still won't go. Maybe the reamer only cut a .4996 hole or the stock is .5002. Adjustable reamer to the rescue, done by trial and error. When it just starts to cut, you'll be sub thou removal. With a careful touch on the adjustment you can get things right where you need them, i.e. working to less than a thou.

Last edited:

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I usually have no problems with the 10 Commandments. It's the 7 Deadly Sins that get me in trouble!

According to the standard list, the 7 deadly sins are: pride, greed, wrath, envy, lust, gluttony and sloth,

The seven capital virtues, also known as contrary or remedial virtues, are those opposite the seven deadly sins. They are: chastity, temperance, charity, diligence, patience, kindness, and humility.

There are also 7 heavenly virtues which combine the four cardinal virtues of prudence, justice, temperance, and fortitude with the three theological virtues of faith, hope, and charity.

I can only count a few virtues in my character with any confidence at all. Apparently, I'm going straight to hell and I'm not stopping along the way for adjustable reamers.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Same reason Dogs chase squirrels. They have no idea why, and have no idea what to do with it when they catch it. It's just Animal instinct.

Ya, but the rules of nature get broken by 60 year women, they stop running away and either start doing the chasing or they grab the frying pan. Either way, the outcome is not good for the old dogs.......

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
Ya, but the rules of nature get broken by 60 year women, they stop running away and either start doing the chasing or they grab the frying pan. Either way, the outcome is not good for the old dogs.......
I don't know much about Women, but they probably just want to make you breakfast or something. It must be their way of asking you to stay the night, so you're there in the morning for breakfast ;)

mbond

Premium Member
According to the standard list, the 7 deadly sins are: pride, greed, wrath, envy, lust, gluttony and sloth,

The seven capital virtues, also known as contrary or remedial virtues, are those opposite the seven deadly sins. They are: chastity, temperance, charity, diligence, patience, kindness, and humility.

There are also 7 heavenly virtues which combine the four cardinal virtues of prudence, justice, temperance, and fortitude with the three theological virtues of faith, hope, and charity.

I can only count a few virtues in my character with any confidence at all. Apparently, I'm going straight to hell and I'm not stopping along the way for adjustable reamers.
IIRC these lists follow from the Arthurian legend / tradition and are a recapitulation of classical notions of virtue and vice (think Marcus Aurelius) during medieval times within a Catholic framework. Maybe I have read too may books at the expense of welding practice ;)

Tom O

Ultra Member
Well I still can beat that back in school I was the guy that would grab the leads to see if it was getting any spark to the plugs, one day in shop I grabbed the lead on the sparkplug tester and said push the button generating the current down my arm jumping from my “ AHEM “ to the steel table! Needles to say I never did that again.

Because there can never be enough information to geek out over...

It has a rather (ahem) lengthy discussion on fits....and it might send you into one.

mmcmdl

Machinist/Toolmaker ( retired )
OT here , but Chatham is where I made a u-turn leaving Toronto Susquatch ! Wish I had known you needed reamers . :D