Christmas Goodies

Tomc938

Ultra Member
Premium Member
As I understand it, the Return Spring on Bridgeport class machines is not intended to actually return the quill. It is only supposed to hold it wherever it is.

I've seen a few that did return the quill, but the vast majority just held it in balance. I adjusted my Hartford so that it only balances it.

I like it like that.
In that case - my return spring functions perfectly! Wherever I leave the spindle, there it is.

I was also thinking it was a feature, not a bug.

Stuart Samuel

Premium Member
Stuart that looks interesting, but..... what is it for? Inquiring minds want to know?:)
It’s for forming sheet metal against. You rest a piece (often a disc, if you’re making something round) of sheet against it, and strike with a hammer or mallet just above the point of contact. IMG_7708.jpeg
This screenshot from a movie put out by Rochester Institute of Technology in the... 60's? has a sort of double exposure, showing the relationship between hammer blow and stake location.

Rauce

Ultra Member
If you are looking for another 602 owner message @Rauce in Hamilton. He may have some spare parts from his 602.

Yes, I have basically all the small parts that aren’t in the head (I sold the head complete). Handles, dials, leadscrews etc.

I’ve been cleaning out my shop and wondering what to do with the stuff to be honest.