Christmas Damascus

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
Wow, that's really nice work!, well done.

Would love to read more about how you made that, with some progress pics, but understand if you'd like to keep it to yourself.

Crosche

Super User
Wow, that's really nice work!, well done.

Would love to read more about how you made that, with some progress pics, but understand if you'd like to keep it to yourself.

I really wish I had taken some progress pictures, but alas I was too focused on getting this blade done in time for Christmas.

No secrets to the construction. I sanded, cleaned and stacked 1/8" x 4" pieces of 1095 & 15N20 into a billet about 1 1/2" in height. Then the billet was clamped tight and the sides were TIG welded (no filler) in three places to hold the billet together and a 1/2" x 30" rod was welded to one end as a handle. The end opposite the handle is left unwelded so that flux doesn't get trapped. Bring the billet up to a red heat, flux liberally and then heat to a pale yellow heat...the billet looks like it is steaming. Hammer lightly & quickly down the center of the billet from the handle toward the open end to squeeze out flux and then down each edge in the same direction. Clean the billet, re-flux, reheat and repeat on the opposite side.
The billet was forged out to 16" long and then slowly cooled, cut in half, cleaned with a flap disk on the mating surfaces and reforged....this process was repeated 3 times.

Once I was satisfied with the layer count the billet was forged to about 7/16" and a disk grinder with cut off wheel was used to cut evenly spaced lines in the bar only 1/3 of the way through, then the pattern was alternated on the opposite side; none of the cuts should ever meet. Then I forged the bar to 1/4" thick using a kiss block and annealed it.

The knife was drawn onto the billet and I got to work grinding on the 2x72 belt grinder. I used a 3 1/2" stub tang and TIG wielded a piece of stainless threaded rod for the rest handle. The guard was a real pain and I re-made it 3 times.

If you have any specific questions, I am more than happy to share.

Cheers,

Chad

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
I really wish I had taken some progress pictures, but alas I was too focused on getting this blade done in time for Christmas.

No secrets to the construction. I sanded, cleaned and stacked 1/8" x 4" pieces of 1095 & 15N20 into a billet about 1 1/2" in height. Then the billet was clamped tight and the sides were TIG welded (no filler) in three places to hold the billet together and a 1/2" x 30" rod was welded to one end as a handle. The end opposite the handle is left unwelded so that flux doesn't get trapped. Bring the billet up to a red heat, flux liberally and then heat to a pale yellow heat...the billet looks like it is steaming. Hammer lightly & quickly down the center of the billet from the handle toward the open end to squeeze out flux and then down each edge in the same direction. Clean the billet, re-flux, reheat and repeat on the opposite side.
The billet was forged out to 16" long and then slowly cooled, cut in half, cleaned with a flap disk on the mating surfaces and reforged....this process was repeated 3 times.

Once I was satisfied with the layer count the billet was forged to about 7/16" and a disk grinder with cut off wheel was used to cut evenly spaced lines in the bar only 1/3 of the way through, then the pattern was alternated on the opposite side; none of the cuts should ever meet. Then I forged the bar to 1/4" thick using a kiss block and annealed it.

The knife was drawn onto the billet and I got to work grinding on the 2x72 belt grinder. I used a 3 1/2" stub tang and TIG wielded a piece of stainless threaded rod for the rest handle. The guard was a real pain and I re-made it 3 times.

If you have any specific questions, I am more than happy to share.

Cheers,

Chad
Thanks for the explanation. I've only done one forge weld/pattern damascus so far. Bandsaw blades, and banding strap, in a double folded, and then twisted bar. I did the first part same as you by tigging them together for the initial weld, no filler. I'm working my way up to a ladder pattern, and other styles like raindrop and feather, but am going to wait until I have some sort of power hammer/press to draw them out. Doing the forge welds is easy, it's the drawing out that sucks lol. Mine was small, so it wasn't too bad, but I want to produce bigger billets for milling putters form eventually. I have still yet to decide what I'm going to turn mine into. Probably a couple divot tools for golf, as it would be a worthless knife.

I get the no pics thing. I have a new appreciation for the guys that document it, or film it well. What little blacksmithing I've done recently made me realize how little time you have to get things going during the steps, which leaves little time to fiddle with a camera. Strike while the Iron is hot is right.

I was going to compliment you on the sheath work too, but see you didn't make it so pass on my compliments to them.

Crosche

Super User
Thanks for the explanation. I've only done one forge weld/pattern damascus so far. Bandsaw blades, and banding strap, in a double folded, and then twisted bar. I did the first part same as you by tigging them together for the initial weld, no filler. I'm working my way up to a ladder pattern, and other styles like raindrop and feather, but am going to wait until I have some sort of power hammer/press to draw them out. Doing the forge welds is easy, it's the drawing out that sucks lol. Mine was small, so it wasn't too bad, but I want to produce bigger billets for milling putters form eventually. I have still yet to decide what I'm going to turn mine into. Probably a couple divot tools for golf, as it would be a worthless knife.

I get the no pics thing. I have a new appreciation for the guys that document it, or film it well. What little blacksmithing I've done recently made me realize how little time you have to get things going during the steps, which leaves little time to fiddle with a camera. Strike while the Iron is hot is right.

I was going to compliment you on the sheath work too, but see you didn't make it so pass on my compliments

My friend and mentor, Dennis Paish, made the sheath. He said that such a beautiful blade couldn't reside in one of my pedestrian sheaths. Lol

Having the 25 lb Litte Giant hammer makes quick work of drawing out steel. It was a real arm saver and I probably wouldn't have attempted the job without it.