Chipping slag

wmetfab

The tool body, on the left, the flat disc, its like a flat hammer, or a rammer , that vibrates in and out.
The part on the right, a sheet metal tube, holds it all together.
The notches adjust the travel
The needles, a dozen or so hard steel are like a nail, have a small head. There is a disc abt. 3/8 thick with holes for the needles, the head keeps them in the plate.
The spring keeps the needle heads against the hammer head as it vibrates, theres a lot of individual movement of them.
I think i paid $225 when I bought it I cant remember exactly why, but I think it might have been to remove a bunch of tough welding slag on a big job.
It's been a great tool, indispensible in its required application and its still in excellent condition, never replaced the needles.
Hope u enjoyed the post

The tool body, on the left, the flat disc, its like a flat hammer, or a rammer , that vibrates in and out.
The part on the right, a sheet metal tube, holds it all together.
The notches adjust the travel
The needles, a dozen or so hard steel are like a nail, have a small head. There is a disc abt. 3/8 thick with holes for the needles, the head keeps them in the plate.
The spring keeps the needle heads against the hammer head as it vibrates, theres a lot of individual movement of them.
I think i paid $225 when I bought it I cant remember exactly why, but I think it might have been to remove a bunch of tough welding slag on a big job.
It's been a great tool, indispensible in its required application and its still in excellent condition, never replaced the needles.
Hope u enjoyed the post
I have the same one, and have been happy with it so far.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
I thought there would be some sort of complicated mechanism, but no, it's super simple. One thing though when using the tool there is no or little kickback. That is interesting. If the hammer slammed the needles all the way to the stops then wouldn't it bang back in your hand? Maybe the hammer stops early letting the needles 'float' forward and stop on their own. Can anyone confirm that?

Anybody have one of those drill type adapters @Susquatch mentioned?

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
This video starts a little slow but he gets into how the air hammer works, the forward/reverse mechanism, a little later in. That part was interesting.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
My current project has more than my normal stick welding, so I’ve been doing more than my normal slag chipping and it’s pissing off my carpel tunnel. I’m using a traditional chipping hammer, with spring handle. I hold it lightly and the slag chips off easily but it’s still leaving me with a numb hand. Are there better chipping alternatives?
I have the same problem with chipping hammers. Aggravates and makes my tendons ache. It also damages the work surfaces. All the other ideas here in this thread are good. Different sized wire wheels in drills and grinders, needle scalers.