• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Chinese 3 axis DRO

I tried searching the forum but I just get an error so I figured I will just ask.

I am looking for a budget 3axis DRO to put on my RF45 clone mill. Other than that I have no idea what to look for and when I search aliexpress it gets complicated fast. I was thinking about magnetic scales because I am nervous about trying to cut down glass scales but most of the adds don't seem to say what the scales are. I also don't know what I need for resolution or does it make much of a difference on a hobby machine? I'm just wondering if anyone has purchase one recently that you are happy with and what is was? Budget is my main concern. Is there a way to get something that works for a hobbyist that isn't expensive but will get the job done.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I am looking for a budget 3axis DRO to put on my RF45 clone mill.

What does "budget" mean? Do you have a price target? That will help us help you.

An RF 45 is big enough to handle, (and benefit from), a full sized full featured DRO. They don't need to cost a fortune but they are not cheap either.

Tecnico

(Dave)
Measure the actual full travel of your axes, add a small fudge factor that gives you latitude for mounting location and tell the vendor your travel. They will add their own over travel safety distance. That should put you in a zone where you can build brackets & mount without worrying about cutting or stretching scales. Glass scales will be your lowest cost.

I can’t give advice on an RF mill but there are a bunch of them in the house and no doubt someone will pipe up.

There are a few tricks to tricking the search function to do your bidding to look up past threads, biggest problems seem to be too short a search term etc.

Gotta run!

D :cool:

What does "budget" mean? Do you have a price target? That will help us help you.

An RF 45 is big enough to handle, (and benefit from), a full sized full featured DRO. They don't need to cost a fortune but they are not cheap either.
Ideally in the $200 - $300 range. Doesn't need to be anything fancy I don't care if its a touch screen or not as long as it can do all the basics.

Tomc938

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I bought a set from Ali, and had no trouble cutting the glass scales. Used a small mill to cut down almost to the glass (carefully) and then used a diamond cutter for my Dremel. Cut slowly so as not to overheat. Worked real slick.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Ideally in the $200 - $300 range. Doesn't need to be anything fancy I don't care if its a touch screen or not as long as it can do all the basics.

Although I could be wrong, I think the only 3axis DRO in the 300 dollar range is the igaging system.

Here is the 3-axis version. It is available on Amazon and BusyBee - maybe elsewhere too.

You could probably improve the functionality of that with the TouchDRO system configured for the igaging scales and an old tablet for a display.

Perhaps another member knows of other products in that price range.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I too have been searching ( I have an rf45 clone as well) You can get 3-axis and glass scales on Amazon for 350-400. Good variety of scale lengths as well. Seems a small price to pay for the convenience.

Interestingly, you can get Ditron systems on Amazon. Kate is the Ditron Amazon Rep. She will match the Ditron price on Ali and she is extremely helpful. Just post a question to the seller.

MikeANW

Interestingly, you can get Ditron systems on Amazon. Kate is the Ditron Amazon Rep. She will match the Ditron price on Ali and she is extremely helpful. Just post a question to the seller.

Clearly i need to speak to Kate!! Ill post a question and see how it goes....hoping to order this weekend.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Although I could be wrong, I think the only 3axis DRO in the 300 dollar range is the igaging system.

Here is the 3-axis version. It is available on Amazon and BusyBee - maybe elsewhere too.

You could probably improve the functionality of that with the TouchDRO system configured for the igaging scales and an old tablet for a display.

Perhaps another member knows of other products in that price range.
Yuriy of Touch DRO no longer recommends using the capacitative (iGaging) scales with TouchDRO because of issues with lag and jumping digits. With the advent of cheap, reliable glass scales I can't see a good reason to use the iGaging scales unless they are paired with their readouts.

Tecnico

(Dave)
@Megar arc 5040dd

I’m a bit under the weather today so it gives me the excuse to take some time to write more to give you a better answer about scale and DRO shopping while I’m lazing around.

Here are a few threads to look up and have a read:

The links to the TouchDRO site are good reference even if you’re not going that way for your display.

And finally, my thread where I document my projects including TouchDRO installation on my lathe & mill.

Just a thought about scale length. With Ditron and probably the others, they will tailor your (requested) working length to the mm if you engage them rather than just buying off the shelf on one of their Aliex pages. If you ask for 432mm that’s what you’ll get (plus their safety space) so you should not have to worry about cutting scales. Ask them for their drawings of scale dimensions do you can design your installation before committing to the purchase.

Enjoy!

D :cool:

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Ask them for their drawings of scale dimensions do you can design your installation before committing to the purchase.

They will also send you the manual if you ask for it.

I'd add www.dropros.com to the list of sites with good info. They have decent install videos although I didn't use their hardware or the install cuz the DRO pros stuff costs too much and I didn't like the flimsy brackets. But still lots of great info written in english. I made my own brackets custom to my own install and did a 4 axis x, y, z & quill. Then I added quill plus knee to get total Z.

Here are my two main threads on my install and decision making.

Thread 'DRO Mounting System' https://canadianhobbymetalworkers.com/threads/dro-mounting-system.4761/

Thread 'Installing a DRO on a Hartford Bridgeport Clone.' https://canadianhobbymetalworkers.com/threads/installing-a-dro-on-a-hartford-bridgeport-clone.4852/

Here is a thread on the first time I used it to do something. Some good comments in there from other members too.

Thread 'First Major DRO Job' https://canadianhobbymetalworkers.com/threads/first-major-dro-job.5870/

Please ignore the pricing I got. That was all before the latest round of price increases, supplier costs, inflation, and exchange rates. But you still get what you negotiate......

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
My experience with iGaging has been mediocre. Jumping digits, sensitive to interference with nearby motors. I've installed CDCO, eBay, DrDRO, TouchDRO, mTech, and the original Shumatech DRO350. Best budget one so far has been the mTech from http://www.thedrostore.com/, but might be a bit more than you want to spend. My guess is mTech is the same as the ALI or eBay China sources, but based in the US so a bit more user-friendly.

MikeANW

They will also send you the manual if you ask for it.

I'd add www.dropros.com to the list of sites with good info. They have decent install videos although I didn't use their hardware or the install cuz the DRO pros stuff costs too much and I didn't like the flimsy brackets. But still lots of great info written in english. I made my own brackets custom to my own install and did a 4 axis x, y, z & quill. Then I added quill plus knee to get total Z.

Here are my two main threads on my install and decision making.

Thread 'DRO Mounting System' https://canadianhobbymetalworkers.com/threads/dro-mounting-system.4761/

Thread 'Installing a DRO on a Hartford Bridgeport Clone.' https://canadianhobbymetalworkers.com/threads/installing-a-dro-on-a-hartford-bridgeport-clone.4852/

Here is a thread on the first time I used it to do something. Some good comments in there from other members too.

Thread 'First Major DRO Job' https://canadianhobbymetalworkers.com/threads/first-major-dro-job.5870/

Please ignore the pricing I got. That was all before the latest round of price increases, supplier costs, inflation, and exchange rates. But you still get what you negotiate......
Thanks for this. i have reviewed most of those posts.....will review further this weekend and hopefully place an order.

MikeANW

I’m looking at a 4 axis Ditron with magnetic scales. Got sidetracked moving stuff around and making more room in my garage for my 2 “new” machines. Also the draw bar on rhe milk is stripped so fixing that. It wiii likely be next weekend when I order the kit.