Cheap small pallet jack east gta

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
@Dan Dubeau - nice piece of tree too. I bet it is full of gorgeous figure. Prolly why you cut it that way. What is it? What are you doing with it?
That was a red maple I slabbed up with a chainsaw mill from my Dad's backyard. It was a nice tree, but was planted too close to the house, and the roots were starting to lift his patio. Plus it had a good lean towards to house. It was time. My Grandpa planted that tree, and I grew up climbing that tree when I was a kid, it lived right outside my bedroom window. It's been drying for about 3 years, so it's should be good to go. I'm going to lay that slab on the haas at work, and mill out a bunch of pockets, to make a wall bookcase out of it. I have 3 other slabs that will become a table, and a bathroom vanity top. It will all get a new life.

B58innZl.jpg

RdJ8NOLl.jpg

I had some fun getting those slabs out of the backyard.....
EBsmApll.jpg

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
Beautiful Dan.

That rack is uncannily similar to what I had in mind with many of the same design features. Mine was gunna be a bit longer to accomodate lumber too - including 4x8 plywood at one end in the corner behind the man door, and 2xXs next to that. Metal on the other side.

Very nice. If I had a drawing I would share it. I might start over based on yours.

Very very nice!
Thanks. It's a bit of a hodge podge of designs I'd stumbled across over the years. I only want to store a select bit of material in the garage itself, from rod stock, to aluminum/steel/brass blocks, and some sheet metal in the back, and some shorter sticks of tubing and angle on the ends. Anything longer gets ordered and cut up as needed, or stored out in the barn.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I'd like to stay in the 35-40hp range like my Massey,

Mine is only 45hp. I wish it was 75. The 5210 is the bottom of the 5000 series. But being at the bottom has its advantages. Same block as the bigger one but no turbo to cause trouble. And same loader for all them so WAAAY more lift than needed. Just a little slow - who cares.

Got mine way back when for the same reasons. Sold a Ford 8N that hated winter and bought the Deere that will start without block heat at 20 below.

Looking closely at your tractor, they don't look a lot different to my eyes. Mine is only a wee bit bigger and has front wheel assist as well as R4 industrial tires.

Just saying you would love it if you can find one.

Great plans for that tree. Can't beat the sentimental value.

I did similar things with a cherry tree from my folks back yard. I still have some slabs waiting for the right job. I have Walnut and wild black cherry here at the farm, but no wood mill.

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
I grew up with a maple tr
That was a red maple I slabbed up with a chainsaw mill from my Dad's backyard. It was a nice tree, but was planted too close to the house, and the roots were starting to lift his patio. Plus it had a good lean towards to house. It was time. My Grandpa planted that tree, and I grew up climbing that tree when I was a kid, it lived right outside my bedroom window. It's been drying for about 3 years, so it's should be good to go. I'm going to lay that slab on the haas at work, and mill out a bunch of pockets, to make a wall bookcase out of it. I have 3 other slabs that will become a table, and a bathroom vanity top. It will all get a new life.

B58innZl.jpg

RdJ8NOLl.jpg

I had some fun getting those slabs out of the backyard.....
EBsmApll.jpg
I grew up with a maple tree right outside my window... I used to use it as emergency late night exit.

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
Mine is only 45hp. I wish it was 75. The 5210 is the bottom of the 5000 series. But being at the bottom has its advantages. Same block as the bigger one but no turbo to cause trouble. And same loader for all them so WAAAY more lift than needed. Just a little slow - who cares.

Got mine way back when for the same reasons. Sold a Ford 8N that hated winter and bought the Deere that will start without block heat at 20 below.

Looking closely at your tractor, they don't look a lot different to my eyes. Mine is only a wee bit bigger and has front wheel assist as well as R4 industrial tires.

Just saying you would love it if you can find one.

Great plans for that tree. Can't beat the sentimental value.

I did similar things with a cherry tree from my folks back yard. I still have some slabs waiting for the right job. I have Walnut and wild black cherry here at the farm, but no wood mill.
The running joke with me, is that I have to plant a tree to grow the wood for a woodworking project. In this case, I'm just finishing what my grandfather started lol.

I wish I had some nice timber to mill here like that, but It's mostly scotch pine, poplar, birch and ash that I'll be milling. I do have a few nice big black walnut, and big white pine, but will get my fill with the scotch pine for the most part. Our forest plan includes cutting most of it out to allow the hardwood undergrowth to thrive. I do plant some walnuts every year, but I won't be the one to harvest those. They'll make some nice boards for somebody someday. The squirrels bury the nuts, and I replant the saplings when they sprout up into more suitable locations. I do the same for my sugar maples, and somebody will enjoy a nice productive sugar bush one day. I doubt I'll ever get to tap one of them in my time here.

I almost bought an 8n instead of this Massey. Pretty much the same thing almost, except this one had loader, was cheaper, and the guy delivered it for free the next day, after he felt pity on me showing up in a snowmobile suit in December ready to drive it 20kms home lol. It's always needed a bit of work here and there, but now it needs too much for me to justify throwing money into it. You know that feeling when you just get tired of working on something and just want to use it? I don't use it for snow anymore, I bought a $500 jeep with a plow, heater, radio, and cupholder for that :D. There isn't 10 square feet of flat ground on my entire property (that includes my garage floor), so a heavier wider tractor would be better, but I'm leaning more towards a smaller kubota with backhoe right now, as I think It might be a better fit for what I need, but will all depend what is available next spring. I'm going to be more selective this time around.

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
The running joke with me, is that I have to plant a tree to grow the wood for a woodworking project. In this case, I'm just finishing what my grandfather started lol.

I wish I had some nice timber to mill here like that, but It's mostly scotch pine, poplar, birch and ash that I'll be milling. I do have a few nice big black walnut, and big white pine, but will get my fill with the scotch pine for the most part. Our forest plan includes cutting most of it out to allow the hardwood undergrowth to thrive. I do plant some walnuts every year, but I won't be the one to harvest those. They'll make some nice boards for somebody someday. The squirrels bury the nuts, and I replant the saplings when they sprout up into more suitable locations. I do the same for my sugar maples, and somebody will enjoy a nice productive sugar bush one day. I doubt I'll ever get to tap one of them in my time here.
If you want nice hard maple lumber trees, you’re best to never tap them. If they do get tapped, there’s a black stain that shows up where the spile was, and it usually runs for quite a few feet. Practically guaranteed you won’t get any veneer logs either.

If you decide to harvest the white pine, log home builders pay big for long straight logs, longer and straighter the better. Black walnut veneer logs are big dollars, but they usually have specific lengths they want, usually shorter like 8-12’.

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
If you want nice hard maple lumber trees, you’re best to never tap them. If they do get tapped, there’s a black stain that shows up where the spile was, and it usually runs for quite a few feet. Practically guaranteed you won’t get any veneer logs either.

If you decide to harvest the white pine, log home builders pay big for long straight logs, longer and straighter the better. Black walnut veneer logs are big dollars, but they usually have specific lengths they want, usually shorter like 8-12’.
personally, I'd take a thick slab of maple with as many of those stains and make a heritage table top that celebrates the maple sugar industry... try for a nice Grade A medium amber finish

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
Most of the lumber I will be milling here is going towards building our timber frame cottage eventually, and a few outbuildings and other projects around here. I have no plans of trying to sell any of it, as there really isn't any excess I'd like to get rid of. For now.

The maples have more value to me for sap production, as I'm a 5th generation Syrup maker (sap sucker lol). My "operation" is small at only 20 spiles, but the old family sugar bush, which my Uncle runs now is up over 1000+ under a vacuum and line system. And he's still a small operation. I do have a small stand of maples in the SW corner that should bring on another 15-20 taps in the next couple years, and I might run a line system over there as it would be easier than buckets.

Amazing the conversations that can spring from a pallet jack :D.

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
I wish I had a photo of my little tractor moving my dog shed. That was amazing.
Somewhere I have pictures of me moving my big smoker on the forks with about 100 pounds of brisket and porker shoulder on board, with smoke rolling out of the stacks. We threw a big party one year, and I didn't like where I initially setup the smoker (i'd just built it the day before, another story*.... and didn't have a trailer for it) so I picked it up, spun it around, and dropped it in it's new home closer to the barn. My Wife's work friends (city folk....) didn't know what to make of me lol.

*The smoker/pig roaster that I rented the year before backed out last minute after double booking, and I needed something fast. So I bought some steel, and made my own. Finished it at about 3am the day before I needed it. Burned it out the next day, the loaded it up with meat. Fed about 100 people, friends and family. I slept about 4 hours that week lol.

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
Somewhere I have pictures of me moving my big smoker on the forks with about 100 pounds of brisket and porker shoulder on board, with smoke rolling out of the stacks. We threw a big party one year, and I didn't like where I initially setup the smoker (i'd just built it the day before, another story*.... and didn't have a trailer for it) so I picked it up, spun it around, and dropped it in it's new home closer to the barn. My Wife's work friends (city folk....) didn't know what to make of me lol.

*The smoker/pig roaster that I rented the year before backed out last minute after double booking, and I needed something fast. So I bought some steel, and made my own. Finished it at about 3am the day before I needed it. Burned it out the next day, the loaded it up with meat. Fed about 100 people, friends and family. I slept about 4 hours that week lol.
where is the salivating emoji?