Cheap small pallet jack east gta

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
https://www.facebook.com/marketplac...e&ref=product_details&referral_code=undefined

One of the handiest purchases I made for my small shop was one of these guys. This is a great deal. I paid double for mine.

That's probably what I should have done too.

Instead, I chose to put wheels on pallets and put most things on a pallet that is customized to fit it so it doesn't tip or fall off.

I'm working on a pallet for a Ripper plow right now. Pallet mounted equipment allows me to get more stuff packed into my shop. I even have a few tools on a pallet (eg table saw). At the other extreme I have a big (9ft digging depth) 3pt backhoe on a custom pallet. Pretty sure I couldn't use a pallet jack for that, but most stuff would prolly be fine. Could have paid for the jack many times over with all the wheels I have bought.

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
I bought mine a few days before I brought my Tormach home, as I needed a way to move it around the shop. Since then I came to the realization that it's indispensable, and from hence forth every machine, machine base, cart, etc that I make will be moveable with the pallet jack. The amounts saved on castors paid for the jack.

I'm currently designing a stock storage rack that will be "home base" for the jack to sit under when not in use, and once that is done, my welding table, and lathe stand are next on the redesign schedule.

I designed a based for the excello a few months ago, and was about to start making it, when I got to thinking that I could just get the whole mill up there easily with a toe jack and cribbing blocks, and drive the pallet jack right under it. It takes a bit more work than just slipping the pallet jack under and pumping it up to start moving it, but it saved a few hours of fab work. I still might make it, because there might come a day where crawling around on the floor with a toe jack doesn't seem like such a great idea anymore.

I'm 40, and while still strong, and somewhat fit, I'm thinking forward to the days when I won't be, and moving stuff around won't be as easy as it once was. Being able to also get the tractor forks under stuff is another side benefit. And who knows, one day I might move into a bigger place and have the luxury of a forklift :D

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
This is actually a touch expensive - I seen these like last week on auction in Alberta for around 50 - 70 CAD.
I have one now for years so no need to have two. I paid less than 100 for mine as well.

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
That's probably what I should have done too.

Instead, I chose to put wheels on pallets and put most things on a pallet that is customized to fit it so it doesn't tip or fall off.

I'm working on a pallet for a Ripper plow right now. Pallet mounted equipment allows me to get more stuff packed into my shop. I even have a few tools on a pallet (eg table saw). At the other extreme I have a big (9ft digging depth) 3pt backhoe on a custom pallet. Pretty sure I couldn't use a pallet jack for that, but most stuff would prolly be fine. Could have paid for the jack many times over with all the wheels I have bought.
Before we got our pallet jack my brother relied on a bunch of moving carts with casters. Then while moving the lathe once one of the carts snapped in the middle because princess auto is cheap and used finger jointed wood. Then he purchased welded metal carts. They put the machine base at least 6" off the ground raising the center of gravity more than I like.

For my wood working machine stands especially my radial arm saw I had made bolt up, low profile rollers w/ levelling feet that I could make on our old milling machine and didn't have to weld anything. I plan to put the same type on my lathe and whatever new lathe we buy. I think they're good for at least 1000 lbs on each bar.

1670443683581.png

1670443951571.png

The feet and botls on either end are removed when you wish to move machine, then when you want to position and level machine you insert the outermost bolts to raise the machine... then you can insert the feet pucks and then the 1" leveling bolt with a point on the end that matches the cup in the foot. Then you remove the outermost set up bolt to lower machine onto the feet.. level and then clamp locking nuts.

You can also elevate machine with the outside bolts and then get forks underneath if the machine has appropriate base... for bigger moves, or replace the 1" foot bolt with eye bolts for shackling and lifting

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I bought mine a few days before I brought my Tormach home, as I needed a way to move it around the shop. Since then I came to the realization that it's indispensable, and from hence forth every machine, machine base, cart, etc that I make will be moveable with the pallet jack. The amounts saved on castors paid for the jack.

Kinda what I'm thinking. Plus it's a lot easier to steer a pallet jack than fixed rear casters and swivel front.

I'm currently designing a stock storage rack that will be "home base" for the jack to sit under when not in use,

Love to see your stock rack when done. I had originally planned to make one, but abandoned it due to rack takes more space than stock syndrome.

and once that is done, my welding table, and lathe stand are next on the redesign schedule.

Not happening here. I want a solid base on my big machines. And if I ever get a welding table, it will have casters with locks.
I designed a based for the excello a few months ago, and was about to start making it, when I got to thinking that I could just get the whole mill up there easily with a toe jack and cribbing blocks, and drive the pallet jack right under it. It takes a bit more work than just slipping the pallet jack under and pumping it up to start moving it, but it saved a few hours of fab work. I still might make it, because there might come a day where crawling around on the floor with a toe jack doesn't seem like such a great idea anymore.

At 76, I'd still rather crawl around than deal with the lack of rigidity under my lathe or mill. The most I would ever do is put them on caster / screw bolt combos. No pallets under there. None. Zero. Nada. Needs to be as rigid as possible.

I'm 40, and while still strong, and somewhat fit, I'm thinking forward to the days when I won't be, and moving stuff around won't be as easy as it once was. Being able to also get the tractor forks under stuff is another side benefit. And who knows, one day I might move into a bigger place and have the luxury of a forklift :D

No fork lift for me. But I absolutely LOVE the forks on my loader tractor. I can't recommend them highly enough. They are also a reason for the pallet/custom stand under most of my farm equipment. I wheel stuff to a convenient access point, then lift them and move them with the forks on the loader tractor. I even move my big BPClone mill with my forks. As a plus, I can take things right outside and set them in the yard when I need to.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Before we got our pallet jack my brother relied on a bunch of moving carts with casters. Then while moving the lathe once one of the carts snapped in the middle because princess auto is cheap and used finger jointed wood. Then he purchased welded metal carts. They put the machine base at least 6" off the ground raising the center of gravity more than I like.

For my wood working machine stands especially my radial arm saw I had made bolt up, low profile rollers w/ levelling feet that I could make on our old milling machine and didn't have to weld anything. I plan to put the same type on my lathe and whatever new lathe we buy. I think they're good for at least 1000 lbs on each bar.

View attachment 28635

View attachment 28636

The feet and botls on either end are removed when you wish to move machine, then when you want to position and level machine you insert the outermost bolts to raise the machine... then you can insert the feet pucks and then the 1" leveling bolt with a point on the end that matches the cup in the foot. Then you remove the outermost set up bolt to lower machine onto the feet.. level and then clamp locking nuts.

You can also elevate machine with the outside bolts and then get forks underneath if the machine has appropriate base... for bigger moves, or replace the 1" foot bolt with eye bolts for shackling and lifting

My pallets are all hardwood in new condition. Not worried about breaking them.

Here is a typical wheeled pallet under my sprayer.

20221207_161010.jpg

Here is the pallet under my backhoe.

20221207_161130.jpg

20221207_161109.jpg

They, are all sized to handle the weight of whatever is on them. Not sure pallet is a good word for my backhoe skid.

But as I said earlier, there will be no pallets under my mill or my lathe or my surface grinder. I would definitely consider a system like yours though. Well, maybe not for my lathe which is lagged into the concrete floor. Mill maybe. Don't know enough about the surface grinder to have an opinion yet.

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
My pallets are all hardwood in new condition. Not worried about breaking them.

Here is a typical wheeled pallet under my sprayer.

View attachment 28642

Here is the pallet under my backhoe.

View attachment 28644

View attachment 28645

They, are all sized to handle the weight of whatever is on them. Not sure pallet is a good word for my backhoe skid.

But as I said earlier, there will be no pallets under my mill or my lathe or my surface grinder. I would definitely consider a system like yours though. Well, maybe not for my lathe which is lagged into the concrete floor. Mill maybe. Don't know enough about the surface grinder to have an opinion yet.
ah sir, you dont look like you'd every need to move your machines around to accommodate temporary changes like we must.

This spring we will epoxy the floors and will have to roll stuff all around. In my own basement shop the confines are even worse so everything is on wheels and has to tuck under other work benches so has to be low profile. I'd revise lower still if I could find a smaller diameter roller

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
ah sir, you dont look like you'd every need to move your machines around to accommodate temporary changes like we must.

I would have put a LOLROTF Icon on that but didn't want to risk mis-interpretation.

I don't need to move stuff??? LOLROTF!

I move that crap ALL THE TIME! That's why it's on wheels! Try moving a backhoe or a sprayer that's not on big wheels. Even with big wheels, they take all my weight plus some HDuty swearing!!!

Or were you being facetious?

If you only meant my machine tools, ya. I doubt I will ever move them much and even if I do, the crane or the tractor and forks can handle them.

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
I would have put a LOLROTF Icon on that but didn't want to risk mis-interpretation.

I don't need to move stuff??? LOLROTF!

I move that crap ALL THE TIME! That's why it's on wheels! Try moving a backhoe or a sprayer that's not on big wheels. Even with big wheels, they take all my weight plus some HDuty swearing!!!

Or were you being facetious?

If you only meant my machine tools, ya. I doubt I will ever move them much and even if I do, the crane or the tractor and forks can handle them.
I meant your lathe and mill... they can be rooted to the spot.

Yeah, everything else must move.

Your one tank on the "pallet" and casters has much lower c.g. than our old lathe. I always lowered that off the stands to move because I didn't want to get crushed under toppling lathe. The delivery turck episode was enough of a lesson

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I meant your lathe and mill... they can be rooted to the spot.

Yeah, everything else must move.

Your one tank on the "pallet" and casters has much lower c.g. than our old lathe. I always lowered that off the stands to move because I didn't want to get crushed under toppling lathe. The delivery turck episode was enough of a lesson

To be honest, I thought that's what you meant but I couldn't resist having some fun!

The sprayer isn't as low a CG as it looks. The tank is 6ft high and the spray booms another 4 ft on top of that. If you look a bit closer at the skid, you will see I put the skid on bottom plates to get the wheels out a little further for stability.

I did the same thing on the backhoe cart but it's hard to see with the plastic sheet I have between the hoe and the cart to catch oil drips. I might have to eat off that floor some day you know......

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Here is a better photo of the sprayer. It's a tri-fold boom with a 40ft spread to which I added another 3 ft on each side to handle 18 rows of corn on 30" centers.

20221207_165236.jpg

It's a great example of my shop moto. "let no space go unfilled with junk". Yup - pure organized chaos at its finest. Your brother's lady would trepan my head and then do a sub cranial frontal labotomy on me.

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
Here's the stock rack at the moment. I still have a few things I want to change around, and details to be modeled, but the bones are there. Once finished I'm going to send it out to be routed from prefinished ply, so assembly is quicker on my end. Just glue and screw it together. None of my woodworking tools are really setup and usable right now, and as much as I'd love to take this on (I miss doing this kind of stuff), I've got nowhere to work on such a large carcass right now. Nor the time to do so. I thought about making it from steel, and do have somewhat of a similar design from tubing/angle, but it would use up almost all the steel I have that I wish to store, so.....a bit of a catch 22 lol. Base is 4x4 angle (I have a bunch....) @ 20"x42" and it's made to fit in a certain spot in my garage.

1T2lFFBl.png

The bases I plan on making for the machines will be solid, and not affect rigidity. Just more pallet jack friendly, not actual pallets. The excello one will be just a heavy 4"x4"x3/8" angle iron cradle the base sits in with big leveling feet on the corners that I can zip up with the impact to get the jack underneath. Simple and wont affect rigidity, would actually increase the footprint size, and will add the ability to level it which is needed on my floor.... My little Myford has a fabricated base already, the previous owner built it, it's just not very moving friendly. Whenever I need to move it, I have to slip some beams in there to catch on the crossmembers in the bottom. I've got the song down now, and can dance it around the shop wherever I want to put it, but I don't really like the stand as a whole, and a new one has been on the list ever since I got it.

Welding table will get a completely new enclosed base with integral toolbox/welding supply storage, that I can slip the jack under from any side and move it around. A fabrication station I can wheel out into the driveway when the weather is nice. I hate welding and grinding in the shop, but it seems like it's all I've done in there this year.

The forks on my tractor have been one of the handier things I've made. I bought some forklift forks, and built a frame to go on the 3pth about 10 years ago now, and the ROI has been phenomenal. Now if I could only get the tractor running again......Governor issues again, and I haven't found the time, and motivation to dig into it. I think it's time to put the old girl (1963 Mf35 conti gas) to pasture and buy a new(er) one. Waiting for the covid prices to come down (which they are), and pickup something from the 70's, maybe 80's (I'm a cheap sucker for punishment.....) diesel, with a good loader and strong hydraulics with remotes for under 10k.
T83IRpgl.jpg
`

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I think it's time to put the old girl (1963 Mf35 conti gas) to pasture and buy a new(er) one. Waiting for the covid prices to come down (which they are), and pickup something from the 70's, maybe 80's (I'm a cheap sucker for punishment.....) diesel, with a good loader and strong hydraulics with remotes for under 10k.

I call my Deere 5210 Loader Tractor - "The little tractor that could". It's an amazing little beast. I've lifted and moved an 8x12 insulated and finished shed with it. Just needed some rear ballast. It has lifted and moved rocks the size of a kitchen table - again with rear ballast. Never given me a lick of trouble in the 35 years I have owned it. I change her underwear once a year and grease her joints as needed. Dunno what that wench is worth today, but she would be worth every penny at twice whatever they sell for. Highly recommended.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Here's the stock rack at the moment. I still have a few things I want to change around, and details to be modeled, but the bones are there. Once finished I'm going to send it out to be routed from prefinished ply, so assembly is quicker on my end. Just glue and screw it together. None of my woodworking tools are really setup and usable right now, and as much as I'd love to take this on (I miss doing this kind of stuff), I've got nowhere to work on such a large carcass right now. Nor the time to do so. I thought about making it from steel, and do have somewhat of a similar design from tubing/angle, but it would use up almost all the steel I have that I wish to store, so.....a bit of a catch 22 lol. Base is 4x4 angle (I have a bunch....) @ 20"x42" and it's made to fit in a certain spot in my garage.

Beautiful Dan.

That rack is uncannily similar to what I had in mind with many of the same design features. Mine was gunna be a bit longer to accomodate lumber too - including 4x8 plywood at one end in the corner behind the man door, and 2xXs next to that. Metal on the other side.

Very nice. If I had a drawing I would share it. I might start over based on yours.

Very very nice!

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
@Dan Dubeau - nice piece of tree too. I bet it is full of gorgeous figure. Prolly why you cut it that way. What is it? What are you doing with it?

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
Nice tractor. Might be a bit big for my needs, but I wouldn't turn one down for the right deal. This pic shows a shed I was planning to move with the tractor. I was going to drive it in, and block the front and back with the loader and 3pt forks, then drive the shed to it's new home out behind the barn lol. Tractor started acting up, and it got parked there till I can get to it. It would have been handy for flipping the sawmill frame around I tell ya.....
WiwCU6Vl.jpg

I'd like to stay in the 35-40hp range like my Massey, just newer, but have even though about a b series Kubota with a backhoe. Wouldn't lift a whole lot, but the smaller size might actually be handier for some of my trail maintenance. I bought mine when we first moved here to plow snow and bush hog, and honestly didn't know what I wanted in a tractor. I didn't pay much for it, and have used it for over a decade, and could sell it for what I bought it for. If it was running of course.....I wish I would have bought something a bit newer with a better loader (mines a trip bucket) and diesel, but then again I was completely broke after we bought the place lol.