• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Cheap miller welders

quitereal

I want to give a tip for anyone looking to buy a welder, specifically millers. We're in a special position in canada in that there was a period of time where miller would rebadge their welders for canadian distributors. The most common one you'll see are orange acklands - see an orange acklands welder? Thats a miller. Red canox? Thats a miller. Red airco? Thats a miller.
They change the name but the serials are always within the miller s/n sequences.
20241007_141201.jpg27677034_2-3521586903.jpg
Miller-Thunderbolt-Welder-5103-3467577107.jpg

Alot of the time those guys that have orange acklands know damn well its a miller and even list it as such along with a miller pricetag, but sometimes they don't know, think its an off brand and list it for super cheap.

I got this gem, an xmt304 for $300 because it was red:
20210925_132118.jpg

20210925_131918.jpg

So if you want a deal on a miller, keep an eye out for orange!

Attachments

• 20241007_141033.jpg
    20241007_141033.jpg
    734.2 KB · Views: 0
Yup got a giant orange Acklands n-250 ac/dc/p/hf. It's just an orange Miller Dialarc. Picked it up in 2012 for $400 and it still welds great. I was tickled to get a 300 amp ac/dc tig machine for that cheap. I absolutely love it. Only down side was it was a pain moving a 400lb welder when I got it.

I've read conflicting posts about certain models having lower cost internals and parts etc, but others exclaiming they are part for part the exact same across the board, just different colours/names. If I had to guess I'd say it's not a blanket rule and model dependent, but yeah, you do see them listed much cheaper than a miller would be some of the time.

I'm pretty set for welders right now, but am keeping my eye out for an engine drive/generator for cheap. It's the only thing I can see me buying as I won't be able to take advantage of the benefits of any other welder with my limited 40amp circuit right now.

I have a Miller 220ac/dc that I bought new from Air Liquide 5+ years ago. I love it. Works perfectly & it is just as advertised.

Regrets - none.
Expensive- yes
Would I do it again - absolutely.

I have heard - but not substantiated- that the Lincoln welder that Canadian Tire (or other box stores) sells is not the same Lincoln that you’d get from Praxair or Air Liquide. Even though the specs may be similar the product may not be. I have no proof of this. Just gossip.

Also - I get all my welding supplies and gases from Air Liquide. If i have a question- they likely can answer it. If I need something unusual- they likely have it in stock. It’s nice to have an established relationship - which is not likely to happen at Canadian Tire.

I have a Miller 220ac/dc that I bought new from Air Liquide 5+ years ago. I love it. Works perfectly & it is just as advertised.

Regrets - none.
Expensive- yes
Would I do it again - absolutely.

I have heard - but not substantiated- that the Lincoln welder that Canadian Tire (or other box stores) sells is not the same Lincoln that you’d get from Praxair or Air Liquide. Even though the specs may be similar the product may not be. I have no proof of this. Just gossip.

Also - I get all my welding supplies and gases from Air Liquide. If i have a question- they likely can answer it. If I need something unusual- they likely have it in stock. It’s nice to have an established relationship - which is not likely to happen at Canadian Tire.
The welding supply Lincoln's are definitely nicer. Better wire feed system. Infinite dials on both wire speed & amperage.

That being said, the box store units weld great too, I would hold out for one with a,b,c,d,e taps at least though.

I have the same machine in a Canox sitting in my barn, not enough juice to run it in my current shop. If my memory serves it requires 131 amps of 230v single phase so just the dynasty 200 in the shop for now
My machine according to the book required something like 90 or 100 amps. I have been running it on a 50 amp circuit and never had a problem. I am not running it at full power continuously. I don't think I have ever cranked it to 300amps. I don't have a tig torch that could support that without melting and I don't do carbon arc gouging.

Back