• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Change gear repair

Rauce

Ultra Member
Not sure what a Smith mini torch is but crappy tire sells small oxygen tanks that can be paired with propane, butane, or map gas bottles and a small torch that works well for tiny jobs.
I tried one of those years ago and didn’t like it. Really tricky to get the mix right with those tiny oxy bottles and they are pretty expensive.

The mini torch is like this:

The real Smith one is about $300. It uses typical regulators/bottles. Just have to make sure the one you get from Amazon/banggood/aliexpress comes with the North American type fittings.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Not sure what a Smith mini torch is but crappy tire sells small oxygen tanks that can be paired with propane, butane, or map gas bottles and a small torch that works well for tiny jobs.

Ya, I got one of those kits from PA. Gave up on it. Couldn't keep it lit

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I tried one of those years ago and didn’t like it. Really tricky to get the mix right with those tiny oxy bottles and they are pretty expensive.

Ya, I got one of those kits from PA. Gave up on it. Couldn't keep it lit

Jezz, sorry about that. Mine works GREAT! Maybe because it's really old and predates the crap craze. Ya the bottles are expensive but WAAAY cheaper than leased bottles.

Can't beat it when you need really small or gotta go into the house or out in the field with it.

I should make some adapters to work with my big bottles but then I've lost all the portability advantages and might as well just use a tiny torch nozzle on my big Oxi-Acetylene torch.

Brent H

Ultra Member
My PA torch works very well. Also is about 20 years old. I put quick connects on the bottles and torches - works great!

Nice gear repair by the way!!!