• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Change gear repair

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
Couple hour project that has been a month in the making waiting on tools etc

lathe was missing several teeth on one of the change gears, after making a guess as to what gear type/pressure angle/etc i printed a couple options on the 3d printer to make sure i ordered the correct cutter, and after the long 3 week wait from china ive been able to start and complete this little repair

now im sure i could have paid a member to repair this gear for far less than the 500$ i spent on an arbor, dividing head, and cutter set just to cut a couple teeth.....but where is the fun in that

the process involved making an arbor to hold the gear, grinding the areas with the broken teeth away, filling with braze, turning the excess off, and finally setting the gear cutter and dividing head up and cranking that handle 75 times

IMG_20220306_182253_863.jpg IMG_20220220_192255_749.jpg IMG_20220306_132157_640_LI.jpg IMG_20220306_132357_508.jpg IMG_20220306_132622_043.jpg IMG_20220306_140057_579.jpg IMG_20220306_150417_782.jpg IMG_20220306_155127_907.jpg IMG_20220306_163326_593.jpg IMG_20220306_163340_704.jpg

deleted_user

Super User
good job

I dont know that I'd not just have made a whole new gear but kudos to those who are not afraid to braze cast iron like this...

I guess I need to go out and find some brken cast iron gears to practice such a repair on

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
$500 is a pretty cheap education and you have the tools to enhance your shops capabilities. I 100% would have done the same thing, the whole hobby is based on new experiences and challenging our skill sets, not what might make the most sense time/money wise. Imho....

i fully agree, i would always rather spend money on tools/equipment to learn rather than someone elses labor
good job

I dont know that I'd not just have made a whole new gear but kudos to those who are not afraid to braze cast iron like this...

I guess I need to go out and find some brken cast iron gears to practice such a repair on

brazing cast is no different that anything else, if you can braze steel you can braze cast......and its actually the preferred method of repair for a lot of cast iron items

i fully agree, i would always rather spend money on tools/equipment to learn rather than someone elses labor labor

brazing cast is no different that anything else, if you can braze steel you can braze cast......and its actually the preferred method of repair for a lot of cast iron items
When I consider what I spent on cigarettes and alcohol in past years, my shop has been a cheap investment in myself, not to mention the years of "couples therapy" it has provided as an added bonus.....:cool:

deleted_user

Super User
i fully agree, i would always rather spend money on tools/equipment to learn rather than someone elses labor

yes true, but I dont braze much... I mostly silver solder.

Darren

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Nice work Ryan.

Brazing is definitely a proper repair. I have also seen a section milled out square and a close(ish) fitting block of steel silver soldered in place, then turned and teeth cut.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Where did you order your dividing head and cutters from? What mill do you have?

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
Where did you order your dividing head and cutters from? What mill do you have?

i always do lots of comparing for the cheapest price between amazon, ali, and banggood, seeing as it is all the same product just a different re-seller....so this is what i ended up with

dividing head....amazon 404$......1 week
gear cutter arbor...amazon 32$........3 weeks
gear cutter set (1.5 mod, 20deg press angle, 8pcs)....ali 84$.......3 weeks

i have a king pdm30 round column mill/drill

Rauce

Ultra Member
What kind of torch equipment do you have & what are some typical applications?
I do a fair amount of silver soldering and brazing for bicycle stuff but I’ve dabbled in brazed carbide tooling and cast iron repair as well. Silver is great for tight fits, stainless and carbide.

I use a Victor medium duty torch handle with propane tips, a BBQ tank and a rented oxygen tank.

For small stuff the Smith mini torch knockoffs from Asia are actually quite good.

deleted_user

Super User
What kind of torch equipment do you have & what are some typical applications?
Acetylene B tank w/ air and acetylene model self-igniting turbo torch, no oxygen cylinder.

On small copper boilers and piping I sometimes use MAPP gas and turbo torch.

When I go to do my bike frame I'll have to buy a set with small oxygen cylinder because I doubt I can pre-heat a bike frame in an oven

Rauce

Ultra Member
Acetylene B tank w/ air and acetylene model self-igniting turbo torch, no oxygen cylinder.

On small copper boilers and piping I sometimes use MAPP gas and turbo torch.

When I go to do my bike frame I'll have to buy a set with small oxygen cylinder because I doubt I can pre-heat a bike frame in an oven
Any interest in an oxygen concentrator? I have one I haven’t used in a couple years. It doesn’t have the flow for heavier use or cutting but for bike frame stuff it works. Only real downside is it take a few minutes of running to get the flow consistent. Once I took up tig and got an account with a gas supplier for argon I just went ahead and got an oxygen tank.

deleted_user

Super User
Any interest in an oxygen concentrator? I have one I haven’t used in a couple years. It doesn’t have the flow for heavier use or cutting but for bike frame stuff it works. Only real downside is it take a few minutes of running to get the flow consistent. Once I took up tig and got an account with a gas supplier for argon I just went ahead and got an oxygen tank.
I've only a passing knowledge of what an oxygen concentrator is.

My bike project will be the most intensive welding project I've personally done in a few years. My last few projects were tire racks and a welding table using stick welding... since I needed the practice striking an arc.

My brother has a cheap multifunction Chinese welder that does stick and tig, and a mig welder that for some reason we almost never use to weld with. We have an account with a gas supplier for nitrogen, argon and acetylene so it would be nothing to add a small oxygen cylinder for me.

Rauce

Ultra Member
I've only a passing knowledge of what an oxygen concentrator is.

My bike project will be the most intensive welding project I've personally done in a few years. My last few projects were tire racks and a welding table using stick welding... since I needed the practice striking an arc.

My brother has a cheap multifunction Chinese welder that does stick and tig, and a mig welder that for some reason we almost never use to weld with. We have an account with a gas supplier for nitrogen, argon and acetylene so it would be nothing to add a small oxygen cylinder for me.
Ostensibly a medical device but they have become popular with jewellers and hobby frame builders. They’re obscenely expensive new but usually get paid for by insurance so eventually end up getting sold for pennies on the dollar. I think I paid $100 USD, picked it just outside Buffalo 5 or 6 years ago. Provides up to 15lpm of 95+% oxygen, has a built in regulator and regular B-size fittings.

deleted_user

Super User
Ostensibly a medical device but they have become popular with jewellers and hobby frame builders. They’re obscenely expensive new but usually get paid for by insurance so eventually end up getting sold for pennies on the dollar. I think I paid $100 USD, picked it just outside Buffalo 5 or 6 years ago. Provides up to 15lpm of 95+% oxygen, has a built in regulator and regular B-size fittings.
Yeah that's what I thought.

so larger than a 20 cubic foot tank

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Couple hour project that has been a month in the making waiting on tools etc

lathe was missing several teeth on one of the change gears, after making a guess as to what gear type/pressure angle/etc i printed a couple options on the 3d printer to make sure i ordered the correct cutter, and after the long 3 week wait from china ive been able to start and complete this little repair

now im sure i could have paid a member to repair this gear for far less than the 500$ i spent on an arbor, dividing head, and cutter set just to cut a couple teeth.....but where is the fun in that

the process involved making an arbor to hold the gear, grinding the areas with the broken teeth away, filling with braze, turning the excess off, and finally setting the gear cutter and dividing head up and cranking that handle 75 times

View attachment 21731View attachment 21722View attachment 21723View attachment 21724View attachment 21725View attachment 21726View attachment 21727View attachment 21728View attachment 21729View attachment 21730

I would have probably started with a steel plate or piece of bar and had at. Even brazing is outside my comfort zone.

Great job.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I do a fair amount of silver soldering and brazing for bicycle stuff but I’ve dabbled in brazed carbide tooling and cast iron repair as well. Silver is great for tight fits, stainless and carbide.

I use a Victor medium duty torch handle with propane tips, a BBQ tank and a rented oxygen tank.

For small stuff the Smith mini torch knockoffs from Asia are actually quite good.
Not sure what a Smith mini torch is but crappy tire sells small oxygen tanks that can be paired with propane, butane, or map gas bottles and a small torch that works well for tiny jobs.