• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Tips/Techniques CBN Inserts

Tips/Techniques

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
For some unknown reason, google keeps sending me suggestions to buy CBN inserts. Here is an example :

TNMG160404 CBN Cubic Boron Nitride Insert https://a.co/d/dsYrdOe

Screenshot_20231219_082146_Amazon Shopping.jpg

I found myself wondering about them. Are they another iteration in tool hardness? I remember the first carbide tools were chunks of Carbide brazed to HSS.. Now we have CBN bonded to Carbide.....

I know nothing about them. Does anyone have some insights? Has anyone tried them? Are they a gimic?

Last edited:

Aliva

Super User
I bought one from Aliexpress last year around $15.00. Pricy but it worked great on an induction hardened hydraulic rod to get under the hardened layer. I then switched to a standard carbide insert. These inserts don't like interrupted cuts so be careful, also they work better at high feeds and speeds.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I bought one from Aliexpress last year around $15.00. Pricy but it worked great on an induction hardened hydraulic rod to get under the hardened layer. I then switched to a standard carbide insert. These inserts don't like interrupted cuts so be careful, also they work better at high feeds and speeds.

Makes sense. I have some cylinder rod I could make use of too.