• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Casting sand

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
I used to hang with a couple old farts that were heavily in to casting, and maybe their site info is still to be got by searching.

The two Names were Robert (Bob) Grauman, and Rupert Wenig. Both now lost to us, sadly.

Robert was pretty involved with the various back alley (essentially) casting shops that operated around Edmonton, and Rupert was from between Camrose and Edmonton Alberta.

Rupert was casting Iron, with a naturally aspirated furnace, and green sand, and Robert left me his, essentially, entire library of books! Plus some other stuff...

I learned the following from them.

First, There are two types of Bentonite. Western, and Southern. One makes things stick, the other is slimy when wet. IIRC, cat litter, is the wrong kind of Bentonite (Western, IIRC, and is also used a lot as drillers mud in the oil industry. I am pretty sure it was Southern Bentonite you wanted for green sand. According to http://www.ece.ualberta.ca/~wyard/foundry/designlog.html I am correct.

You can cast about anything in green sand, you only need to sift it through, to remove any inclusions, and get the moisture level right, and you are in business. Green sand is about your only choice if you want to cast Iron.

Petrobond pretty much NEEDS a Muller, a device that presses and mashes the oil on to the sand. Think, rotating bowl, with big wide wheels, rolling over the sand mix. A fluffer helps (no, not that kind!) basically a powered unit to break all the burnt bits to small enough pieces that the muller can handle. I have seen several, including Rupert's that were a upside down salad bowl with a bunch of bolts set through it facing up, so as to whir around and break up the bits, as they were fed through a hole over the center of the fluffer. Hard to describe. Dump sand in top, it comes out busted up, around the edges of said bowl. Usually a batch of petrobond has a couple casting cycles before it 'needs' to be mulled. YMMV! When you are really on point, is when you see your own fingerprints transferred to the casting, from the pattern! Petrobond, with fine sand, can take up details well beyond what you would expect.
While I have seen writings suggesting using any old oil to make petrobond, I had been told, that there is a special oil made for the purpose. Sorry, cannot name names, as I don't have them to hand.
What @trevj said.
I have a fluffer like the one Rupert had. I don't know what happened to the muller he acquired.
I use it to break the hard dry stuff down. I bought my bags of casting sand a few decades ago as a premix. It was a bit coarser than I might have liked but overall it's been pretty good. If I haven't used it for a while I use a watering can, add some water, shovel it around, lay plastic on top and some thing to hold it down. Then put the cover back on the tote box.
After a few days the moisture has basically stabilized and then using the fluffer I can mix it all around and cast.

BTW, just as a point of remembering. Rupert Wenig was just outside of Camrose. His shop burnt down due to a grass fire. He rebuilt and continued with casting and machining. His CNC router table was a work of art. The Gingery Horizontal Mill would have been too had it not been melted in the fire.

This photo is from 2003.
Ruperts_Mill6.jpg

Tuner

IMG_1431.jpeg I used to hang with a couple old farts that were heavily in to casting, and maybe their site info is still to be got by searching.

The two Names were Robert (Bob) Grauman, and Rupert Wenig. Both now lost to us, sadly.

Rupert was casting Iron, with a naturally aspirated furnace, and green sand, and Robert left me his, essentially, entire library of books! Plus some other stuff...
Rupert visited me several times here in Calgary. As well we went up to his acreage by Camrose, great guy he will be missed.

As for Oil and Pertobond sand - I used a Shell Turbine oil to bring the sand back. Have a propane tank cut in two with the spinning plate with bolts to fluff and mixing the oil into the sand. The bottom of the Tank houses an old furnace motor. The wooden top fits a metal Garbage can with the other half of the tank acting as the funnel for the Sand. Yes I have a Beer Keg Furance and can melt Cast Iron like Rupert did.

Last edited:

Tuner

BEER KEG FURNACE

By Rupert Wenig.
Joe's Hidaway
Image003.jpg

Joe holding the business part of his sand fluffer. The can under the fluffer is the receiver. A good use for a discarded propane tank. The motor is mounted in the bottom half. The top half makes a very good funnel to pour the sand into. The wheel is an 8" disc with rods threaded into the disc with about a 1" spacing.

Image004.jpg

Joe's fluffer ready for business.
His furnace is behind the fluffer.

Image005.jpg

What you are waiting to see. The beer keg furnace open and ready for use. As you can see the shell is made from a salvage beer keg. The furnace is constructed by lining the shell with two layers of 1/8" kaowool, then about 1 1/2" of refractory.

Image012.jpg

The interior of the furnace with the tea kettle Joe made for me being tempered to remove weld stress. Note the burner port. Combustion is complete in the first 1/4 turn of the flame. There was no sign of flame out the vent while the furnace was operating. I was able to hold my hand about 3 feet above the vent quite comfortably. After the tempering, melting some aluminum to test the tea kettle and then the brass melt, I was still able to touch the outside of the shell without getting a burn.

Image013.jpg

Joe's version of the monster burner mounted in the furnace actually operating when I took this picture. Note the bell. It is made form a oil patch pipe plug. The burner pipe is 1 1/4" SS. This burner runs very quiet. Wish I had brought my DB meter to get a reading as it is much quieter than mine. Note the air fitting. Joe added this feature in order to inject more air into the burner. I believe this allow him to get more fuel into his burner ,thus, more BTU's.

Image017.jpg

Another view of the burner port.

Image018.jpg

The interior of the furnace- hot this time. The tea kettle is up to tempering temp so the furnace will be shut down for a slow cool down.

Image021.jpg

The brass casting Joe did for a small horizontal steam engine. Note the neat brass rammer in the back ground.

Image022.jpg

The finished brass casting and the original used as the pattern.

And this is not to mention all the other neat toys Joe has like a Bridgport mill with a high speed head and a slow speed head, two Myford 7 lathes and a Southbend lathe 10" (I think). He also has all the goodies to go with these toys. He also has a very nice Acklands mig welder with a hand held wire feed gun which he demonstrated when he made the tea kettle. Then there is all the nice hand held toys but I won't get into that. Just leaves me envious thinking about all the neat toys but he needs a bigger shop. :)

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
BEER KEG FURNACE

By Rupert Wenig.
Joe's Hidaway
Image003.jpg

Joe holding the business part of his sand fluffer. The can under the fluffer is the receiver. A good use for a discarded propane tank. The motor is mounted in the bottom half. The top half makes a very good funnel to pour the sand into. The wheel is an 8" disc with rods threaded into the disc with about a 1" spacing.

Image004.jpg

Joe's fluffer ready for business.
His furnace is behind the fluffer.

Image005.jpg

What you are waiting to see. The beer keg furnace open and ready for use. As you can see the shell is made from a salvage beer keg. The furnace is constructed by lining the shell with two layers of 1/8" kaowool, then about 1 1/2" of refractory.

Image012.jpg

The interior of the furnace with the tea kettle Joe made for me being tempered to remove weld stress. Note the burner port. Combustion is complete in the first 1/4 turn of the flame. There was no sign of flame out the vent while the furnace was operating. I was able to hold my hand about 3 feet above the vent quite comfortably. After the tempering, melting some aluminum to test the tea kettle and then the brass melt, I was still able to touch the outside of the shell without getting a burn.

Image013.jpg

Joe's version of the monster burner mounted in the furnace actually operating when I took this picture. Note the bell. It is made form a oil patch pipe plug. The burner pipe is 1 1/4" SS. This burner runs very quiet. Wish I had brought my DB meter to get a reading as it is much quieter than mine. Note the air fitting. Joe added this feature in order to inject more air into the burner. I believe this allow him to get more fuel into his burner ,thus, more BTU's.

Image017.jpg

Another view of the burner port.

Image018.jpg

The interior of the furnace- hot this time. The tea kettle is up to tempering temp so the furnace will be shut down for a slow cool down.

Image021.jpg

The brass casting Joe did for a small horizontal steam engine. Note the neat brass rammer in the back ground.

Image022.jpg

The finished brass casting and the original used as the pattern.

And this is not to mention all the other neat toys Joe has like a Bridgport mill with a high speed head and a slow speed head, two Myford 7 lathes and a Southbend lathe 10" (I think). He also has all the goodies to go with these toys. He also has a very nice Acklands mig welder with a hand held wire feed gun which he demonstrated when he made the tea kettle. Then there is all the nice hand held toys but I won't get into that. Just leaves me envious thinking about all the neat toys but he needs a bigger shop. :)
Oh gawd. I haven't seen that posting with all those photos for at least a decade.

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
I know right! I downloaded that fluffer pic and put it on the to do list years ago ( I put it on the round tuit list ) in alphabetical order.

View attachment 34536
Somewhere I had a web page (I think on shaw.ca) that showed the fluffer construction. Can't find the photos (from circa 1998) anywhere so I just went down and quickly snapped these. The rails sit across the plastic totes that hold the sand. The little bits of chain help bang up the sand.

Attachments

• FlufferDressed.jpg
    FlufferDressed.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 7
  • FlufferNaked.jpg
    FlufferNaked.jpg
    172.4 KB · Views: 7

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
oh this is interesting, i never thought about doing a design like that where the bed is floating like that
The bed isn't actually floating. It's held up at both ends. The gantry slides on the rails and has supports that move under the bed.
Like the original JGRO design. Here's mine early on in it's construction.
1684648707281.png

The gantry assembly looks something like this.
1684648837883.png
Rupert's had the same cross braces. He used that extruded stock for his table. What's not clear in my photos is I have a torsion box that the top MDF is fastened to. So my table supported at the ends is quite flat. I looked but don't appear to have any photos of the torsion box construction. I don't know how much Rupert's sagged in the middle if something heavy was set on it.