• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

carbide insert storage

When I picked up my "new to me" lathe a couple of months ago one of many items that was included was a small stash of carbide inserts (shown in pic below). I may not know a great deal about machining but I have developed a sense that a pile of cutting tools dumped on top of each other is not a good thing. So the baggy full of inserts makes me uneasy. I would like to know how the more experienced folks here would store these. If I had a 3D printer I would probably print some boxes for individual bits. Was wondering if large finishing nails in a strip of wood to stack like bits on top of each other would be an option. What would you guys do?

zzcarbide inserts.jpg

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member
When I picked up my "new to me" lathe a couple of months ago one of many items that was included was a small stash of carbide inserts (shown in pic below). I may not know a great deal about machining but I have developed a sense that a pile of cutting tools dumped on top of each other is not a good thing. So the baggy full of inserts makes me uneasy. I would like to know how the more experienced folks here would store these. If I had a 3D printer I would probably print some boxes for individual bits. Was wondering if large finishing nails in a strip of wood to stack like bits on top of each other would be an option. What would you guys do?

View attachment 15258

Hey Canadium you're absolutely correct allowing inserts to rub against each other is a disaster just waiting to happen if it hasn't already.

That's why when you buy them they come in individual compartments in plastic cases. If you have NO spare cases use egg cartons until such time you do or something along that line but eat the eggs first. Lol Low cost sectioned off clear plastic boxes is another safe storage system or plastic ice cube trays from your local dollar store..

Last edited:

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
I use the thin fishing tackle boxes made by Plano. They’re a clear plastic, with lots of little dividers. Great for bolts and nuts and the like

6.5 Fan

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I also use small fishing lure holders for little parts and screws, Lots of different options, wander around a dollar store or PA for different storage containers.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Most of mine did not come loose. These that do I have small boxes I place similar ones in. The only large box is for used up inserts. I now have like 2lbs of these.

combustable herbage

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Ok I need a bit of education here, these inserts cut steel in a pretty demanding fashion I don't see how bouncing around in a box touching each other would harm themo_O. If you looked at them with a loupe or microscope what would you see?

@combustable herbage The tools are about the same hardness and so can damage each other or lose their sharpness if they are allowed to bang against each other. Looking at inserts through a microscope might reveal differences in structure of the material that differentiate between cheap and higher quality inserts.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Yes there can be, maybe, some minor damage to cutting surfaces if things are banged around - but lets face it no one is gong to put inserts into a mixer and spin them. Inserts are light thus hitting each other will be done with tiny forces. Of much, much bigger worry are endmills whose edges can indeed get damaged if they do bang into each other - especially HSS.

Of course tools that have inserts in them should not be say dropped around or inserts may crack.

Inserts are made of different carbide grades, some are tough some are hard.

If you looked through a 10x mag I bet even for cheapest ones you would see a nice edge. Things change with
1) wear
2) initial precision
3) quality

Usually sizing is done to 0.001

Yes inserts can vary in size. They are not all the same. Thus with tiny cut some may work, some may not work.

I think storage that makes them easy to find is the best - I need to work on that front. Also I should sell some of my inserts I have tons of - I have like 100 of one type. Should get rid of some.

ShawnR

Ultra Member
Premium Member
If you have a lot of the same, how about a piece of tin or even cardboard, lay the bits out and place a piece of packing tape across the whole lot in rows? Kind of your own custom packing? Peel them off one at a time when you need them? Any tape would work but clear packing tape would save labelling behind masking tape and not too hard to remove. A quick wipe with an adhesive solvent if needed would work. I don't have many inserts so not doing this myself

Noltez

I'm not far from you and have an old 3D printer I can fire up for you. It's not super precise but if you're just after a tray or two and can find it on thingiverse, shoot me a PM and I'll see what I can do.