Camera Lens Repair -- Help!

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
When I say full frame I mean a sensor that is the same size as a piece of 35mm film.

Yup, my cell phone is definitely not full frame in that context!

Yes, they are amazing! I have even taken photos through a 45x spotting telescope. Someday I am gunna try one of those add-on telephoto lenses.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I print photos so I’ll always have a DSLR or a mirrorless.

I used to feel the same way. But I read an article in a photography magazine a year ago or so where the author proved that you could never see the difference on 8x11 prints with an SLR vs a modern smart phone. You have to go to poster sized photos or cropped enlargements to see it.

It was a bit sobering for me but also a very compelling article.

My daughter is an amazing photographer and artist in many ways and an engineer too. It's hard to believe what she does with her phone.

You should at least try comparing best to best. The freedom of only carrying a phone is empowering.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I used to feel the same way. But I read an article in a photography magazine a year ago or so where the author proved that you could never see the difference on 8x11 prints with an SLR vs a modern smart phone. You have to go to poster sized photos or cropped enlargements to see it.

It was a bit sobering for me but also a very compelling article.

My daughter is an amazing photographer and artist in many ways and an engineer too. It's hard to believe what she does with her phone.

You should at least try comparing best to best. The freedom of only carrying a phone is empowering.
I do a lot of macro work so a phone doesn’t really work for me that way.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Don't think my phone camera can match my discontinued MACRO lens.

Prolly not. But again, what it can do is amazing. Here is a photo with dim lighting laying here in bed of my watch from 3" away in a low resolution mode. I didn't even know the crystal was broken till I took this photo. You can zoom in too for even more detail.

IMG_20231123_210657.jpg

The photo is only 200k. I can go to 108 MegaPixels but it would take a week to upload.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Here is a macro photo my phone took that I really liked because it had lots of depth of field (for a macro) and showed great detail. It's a photo of a defective crown on a browning XBolt right from the factory. The resolution is very low but I prolly have a higher res version of the photo someplace too. As I recall, I also did gorgeous 8x11 enlargements to send to Browning.
Defect_View.jpg

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
Well now. The tool arrived. I did manage to make it somewhat circular again but it still wouldn't unscrew no matter what I tried including belt wrenches etc.

Finally went the destructive route and success. The new filter screwed on without much resistance. This shot was taken with the repaired lens and filter. Glad I didn't spend the time to make the tool because I likely would have spent more than $31 in parts and pieces. Even the two tangs, (small on one side, larger on the other) are threaded to lock into the filter threads.

LensFilterRemoved.jpg

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.