Camera Lens Repair -- Help!

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
My son dropped my camera. Not far. Pushed off the bed onto wooden floor. Only damage appears to be broken filter but the mount ring is also bent so it won't unscrew.

Suggestions for how to remove it without damaging the rest of a $1600 lens.

1700773886745.png

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
Maybe this will help.
I've ordered the tool from Amazon. Should be here Monday. I like that idea better than tapping with a solid rod and hammer which was going to be my first choice. Not sure I want to try and cut the ring off.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Its only the filter - so like $10 or $20 loss - if you cannot unscrew it cut the filter off - gently the band & try not to damage the threads under it. Even if you damage the threads with a cut through them they are still fine.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I'd break the filter glass and remove it. Then I'd make a press bar to fit the ID of the remaining filter ring - wide at the undamaged ring opposite the dent, and narrow at the dent then thread out the press bar to straighten the dent. Then unscrew the filter ring and remove it.

If that didn't work, I'd cut out the filter ring and use the presser on the filter retainer threads instead.

Failing that, I'd make a new filter holder that clips on (like a cap) instead of screws on.

Arbutus

Super User
Premium Member
If thats a Canon lens, the Canon repair center in Mississauga will fix and return in under 2 weeks. Cost will be about $250. The damaged part in your case is the outer barrel, fortunately not the glass, so it is not an expensive part or repair. Ask me how I know.

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
Thats the reason I have a filter on all my lenses, just incase, so far......
Actually it is the filter that is trashed but the threaded ring which is dented inwards may have also dented the outer part of the lens body that the filter threads into.

This is a 24-120mm F4 zoom lens for my Nikon D800. As auto stabilization and what makes it nice is that it doesn't matter what the zoom point is the F opening stays at the setting so depth of field for focus doesn't change.

The less expensive zoom lenses make the F opening smaller as you zoom out which changes exposure requirements. $1100 US from B&H but they won't ship to Canada. So I'm guessing at least $1600 Cdn perhaps more with taxes. Really don't want to lose this lens.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Actually it is the filter that is trashed but the threaded ring which is dented inwards may have also dented the outer part of the lens body that the filter threads into.

This is a 24-120mm F4 zoom lens for my Nikon D800. As auto stabilization and what makes it nice is that it doesn't matter what the zoom point is the F opening stays at the setting so depth of field for focus doesn't change.

The less expensive zoom lenses make the F opening smaller as you zoom out which changes exposure requirements. $1100 US from B&H but they won't ship to Canada. So I'm guessing at least $1600 Cdn perhaps more with taxes. Really don't want to lose this lens.
I have that same lens. They have come down in price if that helps. Not likely... I understand.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Thats the reason I have a filter on all my lenses, just incase, so far......

That's pretty much why most people have filters.
Luckily I have only the SIGMA 77mm filter ($139.95) and not the NIKON ($189.05). London Drugs Prices.
I must have used cheap filters back when I bothered with DSLR camera. Or prices have gone way up.

After I broke the lens in half on one of my mountaineering trips (not climbing, I was on a field trip and I tripped) I am just sticking with the phone.

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
That's pretty much why most people have filters.

I must have used cheap filters back when I bothered with DSLR camera. Or prices have gone way up.

After I broke the lens in half on one of my mountaineering trips (not climbing, I was on a field trip and I tripped) I am just sticking with the phone.
Totally get that. I use my phone camera a lot more lately but the difference in photo quality once you can set up focal length and depth of field not to mention that a full frame sensor makes for a much sharper photo.
OTOH, often nothing is as handy as the phone camera.

Mines a D90, have done in excess of 30,000 photos with it. Most at a pool during swim meets, talk about lighting issues. No flash allowed, PERIOD!

Use a burnisher to massage the ring back to the correct shape. Its going to take you some time. The filter itself did its job.

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
Mines a D90, have done in excess of 30,000 photos with it. Most at a pool during swim meets, talk about lighting issues. No flash allowed, PERIOD!

Use a burnisher to massage the ring back to the correct shape. Its going to take you some time. The filter itself did its job.
I ordered one of these. Cheaper than the SIGMA from London Drugs. Not likely any worse.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Totally get that. I use my phone camera a lot more lately but the difference in photo quality once you can set up focal length and depth of field not to mention that a full frame sensor makes for a much sharper photo.
OTOH, often nothing is as handy as the phone camera.

The modern Smart Phones like my Samsung S21 will all either do depth of field or simulate it. They also have full frame sensors, Focal length, exposure, etc. I can even take long exposure night photos.

I'm not saying the photo quality will ever equal my DSL, but they have come a VERY LONG WAY. I have not used my Canon DSL camera since I found out how to control the camera on my phone.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I use both my D750 and my smartphone camera.
DSLR when it matters or for prints

jcdammeyer

John
Premium Member
The software processing on the phones is nothing short of amazing. When I say full frame I mean a sensor that is the same size as a piece of 35mm film. That's then 36.3 million pixels which isn't a lot but they are big and can gather a lot of light.

The S10 phone I have has:
  • A 12MP telephoto lens (45⁰) with a 2x zoom and OIS anti-blur software.
  • A 12MP wide angle lens (77⁰) with dual aperture and dual pixel. It also includes in-built Optical Image Stabilisation (OIS) software to reduce blurry images.
  • A 16MP ultra wide angle lens (123⁰).
So three sensors but of coarse way smaller with less light gathering ability.

OTOH, my first small Digital Nikon had 4.3MP and a fixed lens. Again likely the sensor was larger and more sensitive but the phone really does make better photos.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
The modern Smart Phones like my Samsung S21 will all either do depth of field or simulate it. They also have full frame sensors, Focal length, exposure, etc. I can even take long exposure night photos.

I'm not saying the photo quality will ever equal my DSL, but they have come a VERY LONG WAY. I have not used my Canon DSL camera since I found out how to control the camera on my phone.

So over 10 years ago I got this "all around lens" 18-200 or so for "travel" so I don't have to carry more than one lens (also I killed my 18-55 by breaking it in half).
My professional photographer friend told me not to bother with 18-200 and just have a point and shoot - this was before phone cameras became a big deal. Why? Well, if you are going to take poor photos just take a lighter camera.
Well, but do I really need good phots for FaceBook? Turns out nope. No prints either... so good quality of superior DSLR with top notch glass ... just had no place left for it.