• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Calgary Regal Auctions: Small Shaper

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Shaper is in rough shape. Cover is missing but I seem to have issues getting the forward mechanism to work. It is a bit of a project to clean all the rust, add a cover and figure out the power feed mechanism.

Power is provided by 0.5hp motor.

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
Not really, it current price is almost 300 - which is more than any of the lathes (!)

i know, because that was my bid, i have a bid on one of the lathes, and it only moved like 15$, the shaper jumped from 50 to 295 right away

if it goes crazy ill let it go, with 5 days of the auction to go, some other crazy fool will probably get it

trevj

Ultra Member
1500-2000 is my guess.
Kinda crazy.

A few years back, I got one of those as part of a freebie package, for carting them away. The school had them, they were in the way, and the alternative to giving the stuff away, was to have to pay someone to haul the stuff.

Gave the South Bend Shaper to a friend of mine, as I already had an Aamco shaper of similar size. Between the two, I'd say the South Bend was a little better built, with an oil pump, and Acme Thread feeds, but from a practical perspective, not a lot of difference between the options in that size range (another friend has an Atlas).

Proxule

Ultra Member
I cannot believe the Chinese have not begun to produce small home shop shapers again. A small 6-8" benchtop shaper of typical mini lathe quality (variable) would be a decent seller I think.
Actually India is still producing shapers to this day. Although they are big ones, Or rather bigger then the hobbyist would want or need.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Actually India is still producing shapers to this day. Although they are big ones, Or rather bigger then the hobbyist would want or need.

China as well. The smallest I could find was approx. 13 inches and heavy.

Last edited:

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
I think shaper market is just small compared to say mini mill market - at least according to a lot of people in China. Otherwise we would see small shapers.

Small shapers are expensive b/c they are rare and "cool" now.