• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Calgary Regal Auctions - 4 lathes available

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
5k and 5500 for the moderns after tax and fees, not a deal

Remember they may look clean but they are from 2005. They are NOT new. Regal auctions brings in top prices. I only got shelves from them this time and these were not cheap as well.

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
Remember they may look clean but they are from 2005. They are NOT new. Regal auctions brings in top prices. I only got shelves from them this time and these were not cheap as well.

Yea I agree, that's why I said not a deal, I'm still in it for a batch of extinguishers, if I win it'll be a good deal, but not as good as it should be

I must be missing something here...... Clean, well kept, and low hour. To the best of my knowledge cast iron doesn't deteriate with lack of use, so being, I think, a third to a quarter of new price, how is someone getting burnt here?
Maybe it's just me getting older, but almost all of these auctions seem to end with the same amount of disbelief at the selling price, maybe what we are seeing is their actual value, and once in a while we get a deal.
I know I would have been interested in one of the South Bends if I was looking for another. Quick change gearbox and underdrive puts quite a bit of hobby lathe in a small footprint, not to mention that parts are as common as goose sh!t.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
I must be missing something here...... Clean, well kept, and low hour. To the best of my knowledge cast iron doesn't deteriate with lack of use, so being, I think, a third to a quarter of new price, how is someone getting burnt here?
Maybe it's just me getting older, but almost all of these auctions seem to end with the same amount of disbelief at the selling price, maybe what we are seeing is their actual value, and once in a while we get a deal.
I know I would have been interested in one of the South Bends if I was looking for another. Quick change gearbox and underdrive puts quite a bit of hobby lathe in a small footprint, not to mention that parts are as common as goose sh!t.

How do you know they were low hour? Did you talk to the owner? You can get brand new 14 x 40 for 10k so it was closer to 1/2 of the price. I am with phaxtris that this is not a deal at all - its a price you can get without stressing too much all over the place. These are not "newish" machines - they are from 2005.

As for SB - the price with fees is around 2500 - again - this is not a deal - it is a price you would not have much of an issue paying for such machines.

How do you know they were low hour? Did you talk to the owner? You can get brand new 14 x 40 for 10k so it was closer to 1/2 of the price. I am with phaxtris that this is not a deal at all - its a price you can get without stressing too much all over the place. These are not "newish" machines - they are from 2005.

As for SB - the price with fees is around 2500 - again - this is not a deal - it is a price you would not have much of an issue paying for such machines.
I dunno where you are getting brand new 1440 standard modern lathes for 10 grand... Now granted, I only spent 2 mins searching, but the first price that came up was over 24,000 US.....
As to my comment on low hours, okay that was a 1000km view, but the paint shows very little wear in the usual locations. It would be hard to put a huge number of hours on something and not have it show.....
Screenshot_20230329-153920_Samsung Internet.jpg

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
I dunno where you are getting brand new 1440 standard modern lathes for 10 grand... Now granted, I only spent 2 mins searching, but the first price that came up was over 24,000 US.....
As to my comment on low hours, okay that was a 1000km view, but the paint shows very little wear in the usual locations. It would be hard to put a huge number of hours on something and not have it show.....

Here is our own thread on the machines (exact same model) --- https://canadianhobbymetalworkers.com/threads/opinions-on-c0636a-lathe.3287/

"When I bought mine (about 2005 or so) IIRC, it was ~ $4,800.00 - 2hp, 1.625" spindle bore, no DRO.
I inquired with Modern ~Oct. 2020 and it was ~$8,000.00 with 2.0" spindle bore and DRO , no stock at the time, couple months wait."

Current price on this machine clone (part for part identical as per forum members) is 7500 USD. https://www.precisionmatthews.com/shop/pm-1440e-lb/

So just over 10k CAD. Note that as per quote the machines in 2023 are usually a bit better than machines from 2005 - i.e. different spindle bore, DRO etc.

Six O Two

(Marco)
I dunno where you are getting brand new 1440 standard modern lathes for 10 grand...

Different lathes, different manufacturer. "Standard Modern" and "Modern" are different companies. The former is made in Canada and sells for $25k new, the latter in Asia and substantially less.

Okay, my bad on mixing the two up, but still half price, and available... And I doubt that the average guy wouldn't hold tighter tolerances with the new one...

No question in my mind those SouthBend's went for wayyy over a fair market value. 2100+15% buyers premium+GST....

3 phase machines, no QCTP (lantern post was there), no steady or follow rests, only one chuck, no tooling, etc. To turn either into a ok-ish hobbyist machine is a bunch of labour and/or a bunch of money IMO.

They didnt even have chuck keys. On the plus side the ways didnt look beat to sh*t.

Even in the overpriced Calgary market I think there are better deals to be found for a 9" hobbyist lathe if someone is willing to wait.

The ad linked to facebook just the other day for a similar but much better equipped/accessorized SB 10" for 1900

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
No question in my mind those SouthBend's went for wayyy over a fair market value. 2100+15% buyers premium+GST....

3 phase machines, no QCTP (lantern post was there), no steady or follow rests, only one chuck, no tooling, etc. To turn either into a ok-ish hobbyist machine is a bunch of labour and/or a bunch of money IMO.

They didnt even have chuck keys. On the plus side the ways didnt look beat to sh*t.

Even in the overpriced Calgary market I think there are better deals to be found for a 9" hobbyist lathe if someone is willing to wait.

The ad linked to facebook just the other day for a similar but much better equipped/accessorized SB 10" for 1900

You link is to model B, what was sold was model A - model A has a quick change gear box. The price paid with fees is 2500 - which is not a deal but it is not some kind of rip off either - its just OK price. With link provided you have price of 1900, some tooling (but not much) and not original stand. Notice the $1900 lathe is gone - gone quick - so someone thought price is good.

Also model B does not have under drive - it has a rather space consuming setup.

Even if you discount 300 or 400 CAD for tooling the difference of a gear box + under drive + original stand for $1000 does not feel that bad especially in AB vs. BC market.

If that lathe model A sold say for 1000 plus fees - now THAT would be a great deal. If these Modern lathes sold for say 2000 plus fees - now that would be a smoking deal as well. Heck I may have gotten one at that price.

I know someone will complain about 3ph in these model A lathes - but come on, for few CAD I can sell you like a dozen motors in 1/2 - 1hp range in 120v. Reverse may be a problem - if you want to reverse with screw on chuck. I will come back with BC is usually cheaper than AB.

3 phase is a bonus, saves finding another motor. 3 phase and vfd is far superior to single phase. The big plus here is the small footprint compared to a rear drive and that brings a little more to the value. A foot of extra space over the length is massive in a small shop like mine.
Comparing this one with the rear drive change gear lathe is kinda like apples and oranges, and are the drawers truly empty?
I agree that a better deal can be found, but how long does one want to wait? Also, there's a difference between market value and a deal.....

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Different lathes, different manufacturer. "Standard Modern" and "Modern" are different companies. The former is made in Canada and sells for $25k new, the latter in Asia and substantially less.

Thanks Marco - good clarity there.

I have the C0636 - I bought it used for about $3700 about 5 years ago. I would be happy to get another one for $5K if I didn't have this one already. The new ones are $10K from Modern but also include a DRO installed. They might turn a bit faster too. Tom K. always seems to find equipment for less - I don't know how you do it Tom but kudos.

I found the receipt on my computer. It was 2016! 7 years ago! I think thanks to Covid I've lost about 3 years.

1680147938071.png

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Tom K. always seems to find equipment for less - I don't know how you do it Tom but kudos.

Essentially the trick is to know when to step in when you see a deal and when to hold it. I only buy at "ok price" if I really need something. Otherwise I just pass.

For example, I got this great deal on GS 6" machinist vises. I am excited to pick them up in few days.

Its not like I do not make mistakes - sometimes I get lazy and do not pick up a deal - but I am sure everyone is guilty of that.