Tips/Techniques Cad

Tips/Techniques

Shoprat

No laughing!!!!!!!!!!! But I downloaded fusion 360 to draw simple 2 d sketches for parts that I want my local water jet shop to do. Trying to up my game from pencil and box lid drawings. Well hell, I’m lost.. Back a decade or two ago I used Correl draw. Simple. What do you use? Not looking to do anything extravagant, just simple 2 d parts. Guidance needed.

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
I use fusion 360, you have to do a bit of a work around on the free version to export the DXF, but it's really not difficult

There are many good videos on fusion, I find it quite easy to use, just a little practice and you'll get the hang of it

The only thing I found when exporting DXF files, make sure you have no stray construction lines or they will translate into the DXF as a cut line

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
No laughing!!!!!!!!!!! But I downloaded fusion 360 to draw simple 2 d sketches for parts that I want my local water jet shop to do. Trying to up my game from pencil and box lid drawings. Well hell, I’m lost.. Back a decade or two ago I used Correl draw. Simple. What do you use? Not looking to do anything extravagant, just simple 2 d parts. Guidance needed.
Start a new drawing

goto document settings menu, and change to imperial because metric sucks eh.. shown at the black dash in the pic

then pick a view you wish to draw upon in the upper left, and then start a sketch at menu circled.

This should take you to something you can relate to in 2d

1673975073170.png

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
If you're used to corel draw, then give inkscape a try. It's pretty much free corel draw. Might do what you want to generate vector files for plasma.

Last edited:

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
When u say video, are u meaning tube or fusions tutorial.

Yes, plenty of you tube tutorials on anything and everything fusion360 related

If you come across something you can't figure out, there are probabaly 5 YouTube videos explaining how to do it

When I first started to learn how to draw things for the plasma table/3d printer I tried a few different programs, but in the end fusion seemed to be the most developed, the most capable, and easiest to use. Working around the free version isn't that big of a deal.

It's worth figuring out, and once you get the hang of sketches progressing to modelling is a cinch, just another YouTube video

StevSmar

(Steven)
Premium Member
When I first started with F360, I was baffled by how limited the sketch environment was. I was expecting it to be full featured like AutoCAD.

Took me a while to wrap my head around it being a solid modelling program and that Sketches->solid models->Drawings (or other types of outputs, like simulations).