• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

BusyBee B048 Mill Upgrades

terry_g

Ultra Member
I bought a new BusyBee B048 mill 14 years ago.
B048.jpg
I thought I would share some of the upgrades I did to it. Some of them will probably work for other light milling machines. The first time I ran it I found it too low for my old tired back so I laminated a base from 3/4" plywood to raise it 5 1/4". That made a big difference.
6.JPG
The spindle had a threaded stop. It was 1/2" 20 thread which I found painful when I had to adjust it any amount. I replaced the threaded shaft with a straight shaft with a pinch clamp on it. Another big improvement.
7.JPG
The slowest speed was 270 RPM. For some things that could be a bit too fast so I made a pulley with an expanding arbour to give a lowest speed of 160 RPM. It require a shorter belt. The motor shaft only goes half way through the cone pulley.
1.JPG

2.JPG 3.JPG
4.JPG

There is a big gap in the spindle speeds between 420 and 950 RPM. I was able to solve this with a single belt giving 660 RPM.
5.JPG

Other work you should consider......

Head spacer, adds space above table (4"min, 6"max).
Head Lock, prevents from rotating under load from the x-axis
CNC
Flood cooling
Cooling/Chip containment
VFD

All of these already done to mine (CT054).

In the process of adding ballscrews.
Upgrading the way oiling
And lastly rotary table (4th axis CNC).

slow-poke

Ultra Member
Thanks for posting, with a touch of luck I will be doing the same soon. I have a nice 1.5HP, 3-P with VFD on my existing mill, I might swap it for the single phase if I actually get this thing.

I'm curious after setup do you mostly use the knee or the quill for Z travel?

Would like to get the details on your ball screws.

I will definitely make a platform, one thing I quite like about my present mill is the height.

I will definitely add CNC capability, not sure if I will use steppers again or servos?

I'm curious what size steppers people are using when adding CNC to this size mill? I would think turning the handles on this vs. my little round column requires about the same effort.

Last edited:
Lots of questions.

I would definitely recommend the column extension, when you add vise, work and tool holder you quickly run out of travel in the knee.

Quill for Z
Servos Nema34 Clearpath SDSK only option.
Ball screws are dual nut 1605 setups, clearance and backlash reduction, dual nut also reduces wear and damage to the ball screw/nut system as they provide preload.

Control system Acorn CNC, bought from CNC4PC to get their add on board for the Clearpath, basically turns everything into Plug and Play.