• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

BusyBee 1-2-3 Blocks - $23.99/set

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
BusyBee has a current sale price on their 1-2-3 Blocks.
Multiple threaded holes, dimensions ground to 0.0001”.

The sale flyer stated $23.99/set dated Nov.7, 2022.

Wow! That's an awesome price! I'll believe the 0001 when I see it though.....

I just love the way Amazon says "free shipping WITH FIRST ORDER" which in my case means $6.97 for shipping or an extra 30% on the 123 blocks! :rolleyes:

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
The WEN blocks on Amazon don't specify precision.

Busy Bee at least "CLAIMS" 0.0001 per inch. But it doesn't say what that really means. I assume it means the 1" side is 1.0000 +/- 0.0001 and the 3" side is 3.0000 +/- 0.0003. So you could end up getting a pair that varied by a half thou between each other.

The Amazon WEN blocks do not have specs at all so - your mileage may vary!

Last edited:

SomeGuy

Hobbyist
I just love the way Amazon says "free shipping WITH FIRST ORDER" which in my case means $6.97 for shipping or an extra 30% on the 123 blocks! :rolleyes:
That's because they are below $35 threshold minimum for free shipping, the one time free is to get you in or you don't have prime.
The WEN blocks on Amazon don't specify precision.

Busy Bee at least "CLAIMS" 0.0001 per inch. But it doesn't say what that really means. I assume it means the 1" side is 1.0000 +/- 0.0001 and the 3" side is 3.0000 +/- 0.0003. So you could end up getting a pair that varied by a half thou between each other.

The Amazon WEN blocks do not have specs at all so - your mileage may vary!
The chances that either manufacturer is actually getting us tenths precision at $24 is pretty much nil. You could also order a dozen from each and they will all be out a little bit from each other. At these price levels and import stuff, I would never assume anything is bang on accurate to their stated numbers anyway.

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
Many years ago when I bought my import 123 blocks (I bought 4 for around $15 a pair) I checked them all for size, squareness, and parallelism. They were all within 0.0002" which was good enough for me :D. Not saying they're ALL like that, but it was pretty surprising. Now the finish, deburring, and overall usefulness of them (the tapped hole arrangements are next to useless IMO) wasn't the greatest, but dimensionally they were great. Whether they're still like that or not, I don't know. I have a bunch of other mixed sizes of hardened and ground setup blocks I bought from an old toolmaker that I find more useful so my 123 blocks get used in abusive ways.....

My angle blocks from lee valley were the same. Pleasantly surprised at the accuracy.

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I should get my 2 pairs (WEN branded) in the next couple of days. Once I have some time, I will measure them and report back.

There is a bit of a back story: as some of you may remember from the Parallel thread (see here, https://canadianhobbymetalworkers.com/threads/parallels.5559/), I ordered a set of 1-2-3 blocks at the same time. They never showed up. So I contacted HD and they refunded my $s plus gave me the option of re-ordering them at a 50% discount. I did take that offer and added another set to the order - hence the two pairs that are on the way…