• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

BSF Screws. Am I screwed?

Felis

So the myford needs an allen head 1/4” BSF screw and also a 1/4” BSF Stud.

These are to attach / secure the ml7 motor drive pulley cover to the lathe.

I have a 1/4” x 26 tap die in BSF.
Is there a possibility of running the die over a more common cap screw in metric or NF that would take the BSF re-threading?
I have not heard if this, just thinking if it is plausable?

BSF is unobtainum in victoria. Yes, i could buy online
Yes, i could try to make my own, but have yet to try any thread making on the lathe, to date.

Anyone done this?
Thanks.

Xyphota

Ultra Member
if you have the correct die, why not turn down a larger bolt to the correct OD and give it a go if you dont want to make a complete screw from scratch?

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Not sure about shipping cost or timing but one would think they must be available

In terms of shop making one, its the socket head that might be an issue. I don't think 1/4-26 is a common N-Am size to re-thread (making it a 55-deg Whitworth). Any other common pitch like 20 TPI will not work. So that leaves maybe starting out with a larger, maybe 5/16" nominal SHCS, turn shank down to 0.25" OD & then using the Whitworth die to thread. Doable but kind of pita & somewhat of a bastard head size. Alternately if space allows, start with hex stock, turn to OD & die thread. But now its not an allen style if thats an issue.

thestelster

Ultra Member
Premium Member
So the myford needs an allen head 1/4” BSF screw and also a 1/4” BSF Stud.

These are to attach / secure the ml7 motor drive pulley cover to the lathe.

I have a 1/4” x 26 tap die in BSF.
Is there a possibility of running the die over a more common cap screw in metric or NF that would take the BSF re-threading?
I have not heard if this, just thinking if it is plausable?

BSF is unobtainum in victoria. Yes, i could buy online
Yes, i could try to make my own, but have yet to try any thread making on the lathe, to date.

Anyone done this?
Thanks.
Socket head cap screws run between HRc39-44, you'll probably end up damaging your die.

What better opportunity to learn how to thread on the lathe!!

Felis

Thanks guys.

As a plan b, I thot of turning down a larger screw snd then running the die over it.

I didnt consider that a grade 5 screw, if that be the grade, would damage the die, however.

Hummm

Annealing and re tempering would hardly be worth the effort.

Looks like buying online or making from scratch, minus the allen head.

The oem myford cap screws used on this cover are not quick to re and re. They are not easy to access really, and of course, require an allen wrench to re and re.

I think i will be taking that cover off regularly, to clean up the countershaft oil that finds its way onto the pulley and belt.

Thinking i may as well just redesign them with knurled ends, or some other, easy on, easy off with fingers

Ok. Now i need a knurling tool lol.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
In terms of shop making one, its the socket head that might be an issue. I don't think 1/4-26 is a common N-Am size to re-thread (making it a 55-deg Whitworth).

Could one get a long screw with an unthreaded shank section below the socket head, cut the old thread off, and then thread the shank?

Thanks guys.

As a plan b, I thot of turning down a larger screw snd then running the die over it.

I didnt consider that a grade 5 screw, if that be the grade, would damage the die, however.

Hummm

Annealing and re tempering would hardly be worth the effort.

Looks like buying online or making from scratch, minus the allen head.

The oem myford cap screws used on this cover are not quick to re and re. They are not easy to access really, and of course, require an allen wrench to re and re.

I think i will be taking that cover off regularly, to clean up the countershaft oil that finds its way onto the pulley and belt.

Thinking i may as well just redesign them with knurled ends, or some other, easy on, easy off with fingers

Ok. Now i need a knurling tool lol.
Oh contraire my fine friend, this is the perfect opportunity to make a rotary broach so you can have that original look....... These tools just love ghost fishing, for us to go chasing Alice down rabbit holes and such.
No better time to cut your first threads. Thread cutting is one of the best parts of lathe ownership in my opinion.
I was kinda joking about the rotary broach, but making one is climbing up the priority list of projects, I picked up all the bearings that I need and have a small pile of stock sitting on the shop desk. I even stocked up on 5/16" round hss to make the broaches.....

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Thanks guys.

Hummm

Not sure about threading grade 5 with a die.

But for sure you can do it with your lathe.

Go buy a 3 inch socket head screw with an unthreaded shank. Cut off the old thread end. And then thread the shank for your needs.

No worries about the old threaded section. Just cut it off.

I agree with @140mower that threading is one of the best things about owning a lathe. The sooner you tackle it, the happier you will be!

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
No idea if there is room, but drill it out and retap 5/16 would be an easy solution.

Why the aversion to ordering them online? Are they crazy expensive? I'm all for shop adventures, but I already have to live to 800 to get it all done....so unless it was irritatingly expensive to buy, anything easily crossed off the list is a win :)

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I'm all for shop adventures, but I already have to live to 800 to get it all done....

This is what I remember about you from back when I first joined. So many projects - So little time......

I love shortcuts too. But even with shortcuts, I will need to live forever because each completed project seems to spawn 5 more.......:D

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
yeah, we're all at different places on the journey....but I look at it as its not buying screws, its buying time! :). Once upon a time though I made everything, being cheap, and wanted to challenge and prove to myself I could.

That attitude accomplished two things. 1) lots of learning and 2) an 800 year long todo list :D

Felis

No idea if there is room, but drill it out and retap 5/16 would be an easy solution.

Why the aversion to ordering them online? Are they crazy expensive? I'm all for shop adventures, but I already have to live to 800 to get it all done....so unless it was irritatingly expensive to buy, anything easily crossed off the list is a win :)
No “aversion” to purchasing online. Not sure where you got that idea from, as I didn’t imply it.

If anyone actually had an aversion to purchasing online, in today’s marketplace, then they would have a very narrow repertoire of whatever, to choose from.

Felis

Oh contraire my fine friend, this is the perfect opportunity to make a rotary broach so you can have that original look....... These tools just love ghost fishing, for us to go chasing Alice down rabbit holes and such.
No better time to cut your first threads. Thread cutting is one of the best parts of lathe ownership in my opinion.
I was kinda joking about the rotary broach, but making one is climbing up the priority list of projects, I picked up all the bearings that I need and have a small pile of stock sitting on the shop desk. I even stocked up on 5/16" round hss to make the broaches.....
Rotary broach? Lol. I dont even know what one is.

I think i will start by grinding a hss threading tool. Baby steps.

I am still in the process of taking parts from the lathe off and cleaning them and ensuring all components are well lubed, adjusted, and running well enough to start making chips. Almost done.

Fabricated a lathe stand, installed levelling riser blocks, now i need to move onto the task of removing any bed twist as the bed is tightened and secured to the riser blocks.
Yep. Everything is a learning curve. But that is what it is all about. Meeting challenges.

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
No “aversion” to purchasing online. Not sure where you got that idea from, as I didn’t imply it.

If anyone actually had an aversion to purchasing online, in today’s marketplace, then they would have a very narrow repertoire of whatever, to choose from.
so true, I'm so accustom to it I don't know what I'd do without it at this point. You'd said "I could order them online" but then kept looking for other options implied to me you didn't want to. NP, hope you get the fasteners you need. :)