• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Brown and Sharpe 612 surface grinder

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
On my last trip to Vancouver this followed me home in the bed of my truck...
The first picture is in the shop where I bought it, and the second is packaged for travel.

- It is now disassembled for cleaning of the lube system and checking everything before starting it up...

6x12_071_compressed.jpg

6X12_2662_compressed.jpg

Bofobo

M,Mizera(BOFOBO)
That is a shinny machine .... A little to clean for all the metal dust it should have produced over it's lifetime but I do notice a nice big vent in pic one ... Solid idea to wear a respirator when using these, I mean black boogies are cool hahaha

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
I get them black boogies all the time when angle grinding...

There's a huge buildup of metal in the irrigation canals - they must have used coolant for all grinding, methinks, hence the clean appearance.

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Great score!

That machine has not seen a lot of use, judging by the paint.

Is that the fully hydraulic version with the pump/resevoir in the base and an external coolant pump/tank?

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
It came with a 3 phase pump, coolant tank and all the coolant accessories. I prefer dry grinding - less mess.

It is, however lubricated by using the table hand wheel, activating a tiny piston pump. All movement is manual.

The downside (Must there always be a downside?) is that the lube system didn't work for years, and all the oil has turned to a thick goo, like a soft gummy bear. I've rebuilt the intake, pump and filter - I'm in the process of tearing out all the capillaries, the oiling lines and the manifold to get some lube on the ways and lead screws.

I'm too cheap to buy a machine that is in a ready to run state!

BTW It saw almost daily use for over 15 years, then left sit for almost 5.