Brown and Sharpe #2 surface grinder, $800, Welland, ON

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
d3345411-ad63-4b3d-a08b-384d9105c1eb

Engmaxx

(Michael)
Does anyone know the footprint of this machine? Shop is very tight so I need to know what kind of absolute minimum space it needs. Can't seem to find anything on it other than a manual that doesn't have dimensions or I'm blind (& tired).

trlvn

Ultra Member
Does anyone know the footprint of this machine? Shop is very tight so I need to know what kind of absolute minimum space it needs. Can't seem to find anything on it other than a manual that doesn't have dimensions or I'm blind (& tired).
I think relevant machine dimensions are shown on page 5 of this brochure:

Looks like you need at least 69 inches to accommodate table travel.

Craig

Engmaxx

(Michael)
Thank you Craig! It just shows me how it is not going to fit my limited 6ft x 12 ft garage shop with a Bridgeport already occupying one corner. I can continue to dream of a bigger space one day. I can make it work in my basement shop but it would require a serious disassembly.

Stuart Samuel

Premium Member
Thank you Craig! It just shows me how it is not going to fit my limited 6ft x 12 ft garage shop with a Bridgeport already occupying one corner. I can continue to dream of a bigger space one day. I can make it work in my basement shop but it would require a serious disassembly.
Actually, this overlaps with something I’ve been thinking about.

What do folks think is the minimum practical footprint for a Bridgeport style mill? I keep looking at my back room and trying to imagine one in there. I could do it, but I feel like it’d be awkward, with the other things I want in there.

I’m used to dealing with this at work in a 13,000 ish square foot shop, not a 12’ x 14’ room. :p

Engmaxx

(Michael)
Welllll...mine works in the corner of my shop as I mentioned earler. I have a double door that I can remove on the left side so if ever long projects come along I can accommodate. No need to imagine now but if you still want dimensions, I can take some.

Attachments

• IMG_3147.JPG
    IMG_3147.JPG
    520.7 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_3148.JPG
    IMG_3148.JPG
    486 KB · Views: 13

Stuart Samuel

Premium Member
No worries on the dimensions, Michael! That’s a good point on the corner location. I was picturing having to keep it out from the wall, but tucking the ram in like that is a nice trick.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
No worries on the dimensions, Michael! That’s a good point on the corner location. I was picturing having to keep it out from the wall, but tucking the ram in like that is a nice trick.

The other thing I've seen is locating them at an angle to a wall. That way the bed doesn't touch the wall, but you can use the space behind the bed on the other side. It only takes up about 70% of the space that way.