• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Broken tap removal

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I've tried the alum solution on a high value 2024 aluminum part (don't ask). By the time it did anything to the tap, the whole part looked like acid etched sh*t. Yet there are many YouTube videos showing it working in real life. Maybe it requires old school HSS or more alum concentration or more heat. I dunno. My tap had a coating & maybe that slowed the whole process down. I tried carbide milling too but it was slow, tough sledding & pooched the end mill. Again maybe it was that particular tap. The spark erode machines are probably the weapon of choice but not for common mortals.

Stefan recently posted a video on a shop made micro trepanning carbide tool he ground. Something like that might be good, like a mini annular cutter. Core around the tap, pluck it out, fill the hole with native material / LT retainer, drill & tap again. Its not a fix for all kinds of parts but I have seen some remarkable saves where you wouldn't even know it was repaired.

I've tried the alum solution on a high value 2024 aluminum part (don't ask). By the time it did anything to the tap, the whole part looked like acid etched sh*t. Yet there are many YouTube videos showing it working in real life. Maybe it requires old school HSS or more alum concentration or more heat. I dunno. My tap had a coating & maybe that slowed the whole process down. I tried carbide milling too but it was slow, tough sledding & pooched the end mill. Again maybe it was that particular tap. The spark erode machines are probably the weapon of choice but not for common mortals.

Stefan recently posted a video on a shop made micro trepanning carbide tool he ground. Something like that might be good, like a mini annular cutter. Core around the tap, pluck it out, fill the hole with native material / LT retainer, drill & tap again. Its not a fix for all kinds of parts but I have seen some remarkable saves where you wouldn't even know it was repaired.
I dissolved as much alumm in as I could, and being winter, I put it over the woodstove. It never got so hot that I couldn't put my hand in and remove the piece, but I couldn't always hold it for long. ;) Pretty scientific, I know. :p It seems to me that it took about three days and the tap pretty much fell out of the hole. It was one of the last holes in a mini pallet I was making and only had time into the project, the alumm was an experiment to see if it worked. I believe the aluminum was 6061....

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
FWIW.Here is the piece I cut out with the busted tap still stuck in it. The cross drilled hole is 1/8".

Having the old part in hand might make for a nice test to see if you can make the Waltons work. Or send me the part! LOL!

Last edited: