Broke My Tap Handle Today:-(

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Hey, my new tap handles work great!

View attachment 18248

That's 9/16-18 and the tap wouldn't fit in the smaller handle. Should have gotten a bigger handle years ago, this made tapping soo much easier.

Craig

It seems that KBC carries tap handles ranging from a #8 (1/16-1/4) through to a #13 (1" to 2-1/2"). They are all called "Heavy Duty".

I have a Bosche #12 that looks Heavy Duty (forged) but that designation will only last till I break it.

As I said before, when taps get big, I like to use a sliding driver bar with a square drive socket.

Screenshot_20211114-062431_Amazon Shopping.jpg

The problem with that is all those sizes of square drive that come on taps. They are not all 1/8, 3/16, 1/4, 3/8, 1/2, etc. Some have an equivalent square drive size and some don't. But on the other hand, when they do fit, they work great and it also allows the use of an extension for easier access and cheater pipe for extra leverage for those few times when either is needed.

I took a quick look at the die holders on KBC too. On this side of fastener threading tools, they flamed big time IMHO. None of them look very impressive based on the web site photos but then again as @YYCHM found out, the product that arrives doesn't always look like the photo.

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
It seems that KBC carries tap handles ranging from a #8 (1/16-1/4) through to a #13 (1" to 2-1/2"). They are all called "Heavy Duty".

I have a Bosche #12 that looks Heavy Duty (forged) but that designation will only last till I break it.

As I said before, when taps get big, I like to use a sliding driver bar with a square drive socket.

View attachment 18270

The problem with that is all those sizes of square drive that come on taps. They are not all 1/8, 3/16, 1/4, 3/8, 1/2, etc. Some have an equivalent square drive size and some don't. But on the other hand, when they do fit, they work great and it also allows the use of an extension for easier access and cheater pipe for extra leverage for those few times when either is needed.

I took a quick look at the die holders on KBC too. On this side of fastener threading tools, they flamed big time IMHO. None of them look very impressive based on the web site photos but then again as @YYCHM found out, the product that arrives doesn't always look like the photo.
Square drive socket? You mean an 8 point socket or actual tap sockets?

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
my experience in using a bigger tap handle is it makes it soooo much easier to break the tap….

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
my experience in using a bigger tap handle is it makes it soooo much easier to break the tap….

I was kind of thinking of that the entire time when tapping that 9/16-18 LOL. Lord knows I've broken enough of them with the small handle already:p You get that scritch sound and then bang.

Last edited:

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member
I was kind of thinking of that to LOL. Lord knows I have broken enough of them with the small handle already:p You get that scritch sound and then bang.

From my limited experience threading with any size tap is a no rush job. One uses much cutting fluid, takes a small cut then backs it off to clear the cuttings. Making a consorted effort to clear cuttings is a must where you will end up with a thread like a pro. Just saying!

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
From my limited experience threading with any size tap is a no rush job. One uses much cutting fluid, takes a small cut then backs it off to clear the cuttings. Making a consorted effort to clear cuttings is a must where you will end up with a thread like a pro. Just saying!

I hear you on that one, after learning the hard way. Back off and blow all the swarf out many times.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I was kind of thinking of that the entire time when tapping that 9/16-18 LOL.

From my limited experience threading with any size tap is a no rush job.

I hear you on that one, after learning the hard way. Back off and blow all the swarf out many times.

With you guys all the way. I don't know how anyone ever gets the courage to chuck a tap in a motorized driver of any kind.

I'm a firm believer in getting the cutting axis as close as humanly possible to the hole axis - follow the hole even if the hole is crooked! Then slow and easy she goes..... My rule of thumb is 1/2 in, 1/4 out 4 times (one full thread) then clean.

Ya a big tap handle is bad, but so is tapping a big hole. Not gunna tap a 1.5" hole if your using a tiny handle even if you could get the handle onto the tap. That's when the square socket and big sliding T-bar come into their own.

To be honest though, I've broken more teeny tiny taps than big ones.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Got a pair of tap wrenches in my last KBC order on the strength of comments by others here. These are different. They are branded KBC - Blaze ProTool.

I'll probably send them back. They have a baked on paint coat to hide the metal, the machining is poor, and I have little faith in them. Here is a photo of my Bosch next to the KBC. Obviously, the Bosche is a bigger size, but it's easy to see the difference.

20211221_160955.jpg

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member
Got a pair of tap wrenches in my last KBC order on the strength of comments by others here. These are different. They are branded KBC - Blaze ProTool.

I'll probably send them back. They have a baked on paint coat to hide the metal, the machining is poor, and I have little faith in them. Here is a photo of my Bosch next to the KBC. Obviously, the Bosche is a bigger size, but it's easy to see the difference.

View attachment 19172

Thanks for the post @Susquatch, for what it's worth I have a small set of adjustable reamers branded KBC - Blase ProTool manufactured in India. Although the machining is not, I repeat not of Starrett quality they do the job for the few times I've needed one. If the price is right most often one can always clean up botched machining. As for looking pretty I can live with ugly appearance, it's only a tool.

On the flip side perhaps @YYCHM might comment here as to how well his 2 tap wrenches from KBC function.

What say you Craig?

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Thanks for the post @Susquatch, for what it's worth I have a small set of adjustable reamers branded KBC - Blase ProTool manufactured in India. Although the machining is not, I repeat not of Starrett quality they do the job for the few times I've needed one. If the price is right most often one can always clean up botched machining. As for looking pretty I can live with ugly appearance, it's only a tool.

On the flip side perhaps @YYCHM might comment here as to how well his 2 tap wrenches from KBC function.

What say you Craig?

For the price I'm quite happy with them.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
As for looking pretty I can live with ugly appearance, it's only a tool.

Me too. I'm fact, I almost prefer ugly. Anyone as ugly as I am can't throw stones.

However, I don't like paint so thick I can't see what is under it, I don't like edges that look like they were cut with a jig saw, and I don't like a clamp that wobbles as you tighten the screw.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Na, mine looks just like yours. At least they are steel and not pot metal.

How do you know that? That's my bitch with the paint. I can't see what's under that and therefore I'm suspicious. What is hiding under there?

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Adam is using OSG Tool Hy-Pro taps on his FlexArm machine in this video and he is tapping at 150rpm and they cut the 4140 like butter. The taps in that Sowa catalog recommend les than 50 rpm. Tapping starts at 48.55 near the end of the vid.

I want to know more about this flexarm he's using. Nice tool. Anybody give us more info on that? Like how much for one?