• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Bringing my old South Bend back to life.

That is cool, Michel (Rustinox) sent me an old article from Model Engineer magazine from the 50's that discussed making up just such an apparatus to cut gears on the shaper. Thought it to be a very cool idea, right back to the early days and truly 'generating' a gear tooth profile. I have yet to try it, but will be watching intently to see it come together for you!
I watched several YouTube videos by "JB from Oz" they did a great set of videos including a Stefan Gotswinter mash-up that I quite enjoyed. From there I was directed to the 50's write up which I followed relatively closely while considering what I had on hand. If I were to do it again and I might still, I would make the bore and spindle bigger, there was quite a bit of flex. I would say that the 12 diametral pitch was as big a tooth I would be comfortable with. Although the 4340 I used for the gear might have been part of the problem.

Feeling kind of foolish, for some reason I had the number 40 stuck in my head, it is a 27 tooth gear and I put 54 spaces on my disk. 20210226_123835.jpg

a smile

Lifelong hobby - cold iron
Premium Member
View attachment 15737
Unfortunately where I have the mount for the tensioner on the pulley side is too short and too close to the pivot point so I had to add another further along and lengthen the rod. I had a spare tensioner from a South Bend 10k in my box of spare parts that I adapted into the mix. I can assure you, no new materials were sacrificed in the build, aside from paint and the belts. View attachment 15738
All belted up and ready for power....View attachment 15739
The big day!!!!!!! First tentative chips and getting a feel for the old girl...... Gear box seems a little bit noisy, I'm just going to kick it out of gear with the single tumbler leaver....... No!!!!!!????
View attachment 15740
...... I know what you are thinking..... AT his age, he should know better.... Moderator, kick his azz outta here pleez..... But, I swear, if you look closer you will see I wasn't the first dummy at the helm. At this point I was just a little bit on the sad side, and unsure how I was going to fix this fine mess. I have a small mill and a dividing head, and I still have the little 10k running, but I have no cutter in the right size. A smart fella would buy a cutter, really seems like the logical way to go......... I also have...View attachment 15741
A shaper, and very little tooling for it, so, why not make it with this?
I saw this grandpa grade lathe, I would not have chosen this lathe because 1. I don't have a lot of space to store these antiques. 2. I think the actual use of these lathes is far behind modern lathes (collection exception). 3. I wonder why you want to hang the power motor on the wall of this production. A support extending from the lathe body should be the best choice. 4. The exposed transmission belt part should have a cover for some protection (all moving objects are dangerous).

Grandpa lathe...lol. As I sit here with 3 of my 5 grandkids. :)
1. I have very little available space as well and as such I intend to use all of the old machine tools I have collected.
2. I enjoy the look and feel of an old machine at my hands. New machine tools are just square blocks in my eyes, and sharp corners seem to find my funny bone far too often. I have no plans to sell anything I make, nor work for money, so I usually have all the time in the world to make whatever it is that makes me happy that day.
3. I chose to mount the drive on the wall to save precious space. This way I was able to move the lathe about 18" (45cm) closer to the wall.
4. The belt could get a guard, but so could the chuck, and feedscrew, maybe a little chip shield mounted to the toolpost....... I looked briefly at trying to put a guard on it, but anything I came up with actually made it more dangerous to be around.

My tools may be old, but they still make good parts, and the money I saved on old tools has left me with a pretty good budget for accessories. If I was looking to make money out of my shop I would probably have bought newer stuff instead of trying to recreate a 1930's job shop. ;)

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I have no plans to sell anything I make, nor work for money, so I usually have all the time in the world to make whatever it is that makes me happy that day.

No wonder you can be so funny.

I can't really say I don't work for money cuz I farm, but I try to live my life your way anyway.

Some days are harder than others though. Especially when SWMBO has other plans...... :mad:

No wonder you can be so funny.

I can't really say I don't work for money cuz I farm, but I try to live my life your way anyway.

Some days are harder than others though. Especially when SWMBO has other plans...... :mad:
I should rephrase that...... I don't plan to work for money out of the shop...... I have a skid steer, excavator, and dump truck that need feeding....:rolleyes: