Bridgeport Series 1 mill with shaping attachment in Edmonton

Thadious

I messaged him this morning. He just got this with a few other machines from a business upgrading. About 0.030"-0.040" backlash on the bed feeds. Looks to be mid 60's. A few scars on the table but nothing too brutal. With some loving, lube, a bit of cleanup and tuning should be a nice machine for hobby use. The shaper will likely sit in a box until needed.

Asking price was $4450.
Loaded, on my trailer... $4200.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Is this the machine I saw at the Calgary North Princess Auto this morning strapped onto a white trailer pulled by a white truck with BC plates?

Brent H

Ultra Member
@Thadious : could you take some pictures of the bracket that holds the shaper head to the mill? I have a shaper head and no bracket. The bracket is part of my build mission. Please and thank you - nice purchase. :cool:

Thadious

Is this the machine I saw at the Calgary North Princess Auto this morning strapped onto a white trailer pulled by a white truck with BC plates?
Awww crap! Busted! Yes, that would be this person! You should have dropped by to give me a poke, would have been nice to meet you!

On another note for those buying an moving machinery... the white pallet wrap stuff from HD or PA (HD is the wide stuff, PA is the narrower rolls) is a poor choice as it frays in the wind at 100+ km/hr. The green tinted stuff that HD sells (wide or narrow) is FAR better! I wrapped that machine 3 times before I left Calgary (1st when I had it loaded, second the next morning in Rocky Mountain House (had a stop to make there too) and 3rd at HD in Calgary. The trip back was mostly rain until about 20km north of Fort McLeod but dry most of the way home from there. The green stuff made the remainder of the trip and looks great, the white (clear) stuff didn't make the first 50km.

Just my 2 cents rounded to a nickel.

Ted

Thadious

@Thadious : could you take some pictures of the bracket that holds the shaper head to the mill? I have a shaper head and no bracket. The bracket is part of my build mission. Please and thank you - nice purchase. :cool:
Absolutely! I'll be unloading and cleaning up the machine today, will post some pictures of the bracket you have asked for!

Ted.

Thadious

Where is home Ted?
Home is Creston, BC.

After a LOT of scrubbing and a little fine "tuning", I found that they had shimmed the X axis gib with a 0.005" shim plate and it's just about worn past that point, the choice will have to be made to increase the shim thickness, clean up the gib some and reshim or try to find a new gib (or less worn out one...

Other than that, it's in not too bad of shape!
20211024_170825.jpg

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Wow!!! That table looks a lot bigger to me than when I saw it on your trailer???

Thadious

Wow!!! That table looks a lot bigger to me than when I saw it on your trailer???
The standard 9x42. The power feed on the end is one of the largest that I've ever seen. 1/3hp 220v and the tumbler is in IPM feed rates.
Unfortunately, someone broke off the corner of the "tray" on the top of it. Likely be one of my first repair projects. Right now, I'm shopping for a 1.5kw VFD for it. Plan is to get it powered, make sure everything runs properly, tune it up a bit, then start the rebuild, a little at a time. I still have a 13" South Bend lathe to do as well!

John Conroy

Premium Member
I can recommend the Teco L510 series VFD, available in 2 and 3 HP versions. I have bought 2 from EMotors Direct.

It's nice that is has a genuine Bridgeport power feed.

John Conroy

Premium Member
I have also used this no name vfd with no problem. It is not capable of sensorless vector control and should be rated for 1 HP more than your motor but they are cheap.

Thadious

I can recommend the Teco L510 series VFD, available in 2 and 3 HP versions. I have bought 2 from EMotors Direct.

It's nice that is has a genuine Bridgeport power feed.
There seems to be a consensus that the original power feed that BP first put out is very heavy for the end of a table, the newer ones were much lighter but I don't think as powerful given the size of the motor.

That's a nice VFD! I had looked at the cheaper ones on Amazon as well (due to shipping speed and cost) and good to note that one should upsize the drive. I also would be using it to power the feed so looking to run about 1 1/3 hp (1hp for the spindle, 1/3 for the table feed).

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Nice score.

My mill has the same power feed as yours. I keep my table off-center to compensate for the weight hanging off the right side. Works very well and no problems with tram over a long part.

Hopefully I interpreted your comment correctly:

I also would be using it to power the feed so looking to run about 1 1/3 hp (1hp for the spindle, 1/3 for the table feed).

I would use a separate VFD for each of the motors and not combine them and drive from a single source. VFDs monitor the output and shut down when the motor it drives has problems (they are a form of motor protector). If you hook up two motors to one VFD, the circuitry won’t know what’s going on and either shut down or not protect the motor(s).

If you want to supply the mill from a single source of 3 phase power, it could be done with a rotary phase converter and individual motor contactor / overload protector.