• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Bridgeport right angle head capabilities

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
I do not have a horizontal mill like Mcgyver is using to make his tool holders in the thread below. But I have @Susquatch 's old Bridgeport. I only have experience with tiny mill really, so I don't yet know how capable the Bridgeport is with some accessories.

Does anyone have and know if I can use the original BP right angle head to the size of cutter McGyver is using for the slotting on his tool holders, or will I have ot take such tiny bites I'll die of old age before I get a long section of blanks cut?

Xyphota

Ultra Member
I am also interested as to how hard the horizontal attachment can be pushed. They seem to be pretty rare and expensive on ebay.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
You won't have any trouble. Especially not of you installed a Power X Feed. I have not done that yet on my Hartford. It's project 42M.

If you are going to make a bunch of them, I'd make a big long one, cut them into individuals on the bandsaw, and then take a light milling pass off of both ends to clean them up.

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
You won't have any trouble. Especially not of you installed a Power X Feed. I have not done that yet on my Hartford. It's project 42M.

If you are going to make a bunch of them, I'd make a big long one, cut them into individuals on the bandsaw, and then take a light milling pass off of both ends to clean them up.

I planned to copy mcgyver exactly. Long blanks, as long as I can hold on the mill. Tom has well over 20 holders for his lathe, I gotta catch up for mine.

trevj

Ultra Member
Keeping up with the Jones's, will only keep you jonesing for more....... :cool::p
Why do you have to keep dragging my family into this?

Jeebus! It gets old! :p

As to the OP, running a big cutter at slow speeds and slow feeds, might just serve you well. Well, providing you have a power feed...

I made a large number (about a gallon ice cream bucket full) of tool holders to fit my Tripan Tool post clone, in foot long sections on the big mill at work, when I had the chance. Pretty easy to make a LOT of them, when you only have to slice them off, at the length required!

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I have an off shore right angle attachment for my BP 2J mill. It works very well. It is not as rigid as a horizontal mill by any means. I‘ve had some decent size cutters on it, but did not really push it hard. Everything is attached to the ram of the BP, so only the four spider bolts are preventing the ram from rotating on the column. Hence why I took it easy on the feeds and speeds.

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
I have an off shore right angle attachment for my BP 2J mill. It works very well. It is not as rigid as a horizontal mill by any means. I‘ve had some decent size cutters on it, but did not really push it hard. Everything is attached to the ram of the BP, so only the four spider bolts are preventing the ram from rotating on the column. Hence why I took it easy on the feeds and speeds.
Thanks, based on people's feedback I need to get me a right angle head.

Oh and a slotting head if anyone ever sees one about

Ian Moss

I have a BP right angle head for my First mill that I have never used. It takes R8 collets. I do not have an outboard support for a horizontal shaft and cutter. Are you using a horizontal shaft?