• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Bridgeport for auction, Guelph ON

trlvn

Ultra Member
I know nothing about Bridgeports, but there is one coming up for auction in Guelph ON if anyone else is interested:

img.axd

https://hibid.com/lot/51796280/bridgeport-vertical-milling-machine

I emailed the auction house about power. The reply said "they believe it is 220V but..." so it isn't even clear if it is 3 phase or not. There is a picture of the motor which looks like a replacement so I'm guessing single phase.

The listing also says "many tools" but the pictures just show some mystery containers on the vise.

From comparing with pictures on the internet, it seems a handwheel is missing from the front?

The number quoted in the listing is apparently the head number. The actual serial number would be under the table and would tell the year of manufacture.

Obviously, no DRO.

Any wagers on what it will go for? Note that the Buyer's Premium is a whopping 18% and then 13$ HST will be applied. Every dollar bid will turn into $1.53 out the door!!

The same auction is offering an odd, old metal lathe:

img.axd

https://hibid.com/lot/51796281/hd-polish-metal-lathe

Craig

trlvn

Ultra Member
That lathe looks interesting
Go for it! I'll even help you move it!

Crappy listing--no indication what motor is on it. Seems to have a standard light switch so probably a small 110V motor...but you never know!

More importantly, no indication of any change gears or countershaft assembly. Hard to say what speeds, feeds or threading.

Craig

historicalarms

Ultra Member
That Lathe appears to have a "home built" head-stock and from your description only one feed speed...I am suspicious of that being someone's foray into amateur rifle barrel drilling machine...add a good oil pressure system and it probably does a passable job.

That Mill looks "rode-hard & put away wet" type of thing....might still be a very usable machine but could also be a deep-deep money pit of repairs. Not something I would stick my neck out too far for unless I could test-drive for a couple hours first.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
First the lathe - it is "Polish" b/c the chuck is made by Bison in Poland (very nice expensive chuck) and they could not find any other "Made in " marks on her. They did give picture of the base which says its like 1885 or so pattern... Hence being a Pole I can tell you its not Polish made as Poland regained her independence after WWI - thus in 1918 after roughly 120 years of occupation. And that regained territory was fraction of the pre-occupation territory. Democracy cost Poland dearly.

Mill is clearly 1ph as you can clearly see on the gray motor cover for start capacitor. Thus it is 240V single phase machine. You can also see the "adaptor" plate. If for some reason it was burned out or not working replacement is very easy. People usually fit 1hp or so motors to it - finding 120/240 motor used in 0.75 - 1.5hp range for under $100 should be almost trivial.

Machine is probably rather old M-head I would guess from 1960s. For pictures of similar machine look at https://imgur.com/gallery/VUW2c

The motor is small, probably 1hp or so - Bridgeport machines were never designed to hog metal - it was only marketing department and cheap motors that made us see 5hp heads like on my clone. There is little chance of me ever stalling the motor :)

As for pricing in Ontario the B-port should sell for under $2000 (including fees) with included clamping kit, very old vise and some end-mills. You can go over the net looking for similar models and how much they sell for. I would not hesitate if I needed a mill of this size spending on it the same money as on say brand new mini-mill. Through spending close to the money of a new RF-30 would be an overkill.

As for the lathe I don't think its actually candidate for someone's first lathe - I am guessing few hundred $? Maybe more given the chuck alone is probably well over $200 if in somewhat un-abused state.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Well, if in good shape the description says its workable solution (after some upgrades) in todays home workshop - so definitely a great buy for just few hundred $. 13x33 is a great size for home workshop.

Note that it probably will not cut threads as needed gears are missing - but it could have power feed.

Most work on a lathe doesn't involve (at least for me) some ultra precision. Thread cutting limitation is somewhat big but not impossible to go around.

trlvn

Ultra Member
The Bridgeport auction ended with a hammer price of $1,250. After the buyers premium and HST, the cost out the door would be $1,666. A little less than I would have expected.

The Barnes lathe hammer price was $405; $540 all in. That is quite a bit more than I thought. I did some checking and it has babbit bearings. Max RPM on the spindle would be very low...or the babbit would melt and run out! I'm not sure if it would tolerate 1,000 RPM.

Right now, I've got a couple of bids in on another auction that closes tomorrow. Mostly batches of end mills that apparently have been sharpened and are in the protective coating. I'm not willing to pay a lot so I'll probably be outbid before the close.

Craig
None of you would run me up...would you?!? ;)

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
So I was more or less spot on. Both items. Nice BP sold in Calgary for $5600 plus 5% GST. I told the guy looking for a mill to bid over $5000 on it - thread is "buying first mill". So it went a bit higher then I though by about 500 or 400.

(1250 * .18) * 0.13 = $1666.

Barnes lathe is definitely worth that $$$ like I said its a great lathe for $540 all in. Definitely better then say mini lathe used which sell for... more. The chuck alone is $200. Its a nice Polish made Bison brand chuck. Its well over $500 new.

The BP is not worth more then $2000. Like I said, its not worth new RF-35 price. 1666 is decent price for it - its not low not high. I would be surprised if it went for say just $1000 or went over $2000.

Don't worry about these bearings - my horizontal is set to run at 1000 rpm max and in the support it has plain bearing with oil drip. For use of HSS it should have plenty of speed. For carbide you would be limited to light cuts in motor power and machine rigidity for larger diameter stuff. For aluminum it cuts great with HSS - you may run into speed issues and finish for small parts. Clearly too slow for production today but nice talk piece and great home shop tool for ... god, few hundred $$$.