• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Brazing Cast Iron

MooseMeat

Re: your attached videos in post #16 above
YouTube welding info:

Agreed Moosemeat - both Jody at ‘welding tip and tricks’ and Justin at ‘the fabricator series’ are great YouTube sources - good info without the normal YouTube BS.
I’d also add ‘weld.com’ as an equally great YouTube welding info source. Weld.com uses several professional welders as the commentator, each with their own special skills.
Yes I forgot him, he's awesome too, there is also our own "local boy Dusty" in Victoria who does Tig art and has an instructional series in tig welding.

That-Guy

Premium Member
So of the processes mentioned, Brazing, Silicon Bronze Tig, or Nickel Rod Arc. What is the least likely to crack? I am less concerned about what is the strongest as this is not a structural part.
In my opinion, a good old braze job is the way to go. We don't tig weld old airframes for the same reason I'd be hesitant to tig braze this thin material. Concentrated heat can cause concentrated stress, and that means pop, crack. The wood stove idea isn't a bad one for keeping some heat in it, but I don't think this cover is as fragile as it seems at first glance. If you were to keep a wide heat and go slow (with oxy/ace), I think there would be enough heat travel, and a gentle enough gradient that there shouldn't be any issues.
You seem to be quite local, if your up for a team effort feel free to PM me.

If you want to attempt the tig, 150 amps is plenty for this, although you gotta watch with that silicon braze rod, it gets soupy almost as fast as it freezes. I find it has a VERY narrow heat range where its happy. If you can dial that in, its beautiful to use.