• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Borrow or rent a small Gantry in calgary?

"I don't consider nsk bearings garbage, and I don't think anyone does (other than you obviously)"

Ur obviously just flexing and looking for a fight here. My implication was your suggested $20 Ali Express bearings were quite likely junk and I wouldnt buy bearings from Ali Express.

SKF was all that Transmission Supply Limited in Calgary could get within a reasonable time period (<5-7 days). He told me they were their most expensive option, but 'the best brand they sell'. I deal with TSL as their returns policy is awesome, their service is usually very good, AND I can drive down and hand over a bearing and say ' me wants replacement' without having to become knowledgeable on bearings myself.

You are the one who brought up $20 bearings at Ali Express. Not sure why if you didnt want to potentially have the discussion we are having now (cheap vs expensive, quality vs junk, etc).

Last edited by a moderator:
For those that asked, here's pics and some detail on the jointer

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
Maybe there is some misunderstanding here I brought up the 20$ AliExpress option because it is an option, and there is a product for everyone, I wouldn't put it in something I was going to sell or keep, that's pretty sleazy imo

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
SKF 1210K are $130 each. Why skf? Because thats how I roll. I dont buy junk from Ali.

They sell for around $40 or so CAD online (for SKF 1210K).

You don't need to overpay for bearings. There is bohemian seal guy on eBay that sends them out from Chechia. You pick quality - you can go with junk all the way to NASA grade (ABEC 7).

They sell for around $40 or so CAD online (for SKF 1210K).

You don't need to overpay for bearings. There is bohemian seal guy on eBay that sends them out from Chechia. You pick quality - you can go with junk all the way to NASA grade (ABEC 7).
The thing is I dont know what I need or dont need.

I googled a bit for 1210K last night before going to TSL and saw they were available still in various grades and specs. HOWEVER I feel far more comfortable dealing with the counter guys at TSL as I have zero clue on things like 'ABEC' ratings.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
The thing is I dont know what I need or dont need.

I googled a bit for 1210K last night before going to TSL and saw they were available still in various grades and specs. HOWEVER I feel far more comfortable dealing with the counter guys at TSL as I have zero clue on things like 'ABEC' ratings.

Well, if it is the same size and given this is for wood work there is little need to worry about ABEC. For wood it does not matter what tolerances your bearing is made to - well - if it is not marked its "auto quality" i.e. its good for most car applications. What that means its certainly good for any wood applications.
ABEC classes come into play with spindles of lathes, mills, grinders etc. For say a surface grinder you want a decent grade which is $$$ - after all cheap bearings would make a bit imprecise grind - which should be accurate to a tenth or more.

Large bearings for a surface grinder may be *very* expensive - more then the grinder one got on auction, much more.

Other things to know is shielding of a bearing - I assume with wood its probably double rubber aka 2RS. You don't want to get dirt inside. I guess it can also be double steel, unless there is something to protect them in this application.

Essentially one should just replace bearings with same type that there was there already, unless there is a good reason to make a change.

Good luck with your wood shaper. I am sure if it lasted like 90 years it will last many more.