Blade smithing

Chris Cramer

Premium Member
16348771469754239956837959162332.jpg I've decided to forge a much larger blade now. Rather than a short hand knife I've forged this custom machete out of NitroV high carbon stainless steel. For more creativity I also tried using scaled juma for the handle, together with a brass guard, and brass dragon head pommel. All three of those go very well with each other to make up a dragon handle.
I also decided to make the back of the blade serrated. The front edge of the blade has excellent edge retention by NitroV's high nitrogen and the hardening I performed.
I am very happy with the blade but it wasn't perfect, because I happened to make the mistake of tapering the teeth. With the tips of the teeth thiner than the blade they don't allow the rest of the blade to pass through when using the saw, regardless of how sharp the teeth are.

Last edited:

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Cool. What did you end up doing for heat treating on the blade? I think a while back you were looking for a service or considering getting some gear?

Chris Cramer

Premium Member
I ended up purchasing an evenheat lb kiln, it works really well for precise heat treatment processes. Most high alloy steels like nitro v also require some type of protection from oxidation. I ended up using stainless steel foil to create an envelope for the blade. Cyro treatment is also recommended to bring nitro v to a hardness of 62 HRC. Normally liquid nitrogen is used for cyro treatment but I could not go that far, so I ended up laying the blade in my deep freezer for 24 hours. I can't say what the hardness is at, but my drill bits have almost no effect on it, and the edge was very durable when I tested the strength against some hard wood.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Premium Member
Chris that's just fantastic. People would buy those if you wanted to make them.

Please post some pictures of your heat treat kiln and tell us more about it.

Crosche

We should try to organize a YYC hammer-in sometime for people wanting to try their hand at forging. I have a portable gas forge; unfortunately my anvil isn't quite so portable. :)