Blacksmith material 50$ PDO

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
It's a good thing those are out on the west coast, or i'd be $80 poorer this afternoon. If they're still flat/parallel, the races would make a good tram ring for a mill. I have an 8" one that is good for that, but just a bit too small.

KeeponDragon

Super User
It's a good thing those are out on the west coast, or i'd be $80 poorer this afternoon. If they're still flat/parallel, the races would make a good tram ring for a mill. I have an 8" one that is good for that, but just a bit too small.

I have friends down there...could get picked up if needs be?

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
Wouldn't be worth shipping. Not like I really need them anyway, but would be something I'd probably buy if I didn't have to go to far out of the way for it.

trevj

Ultra Member
Some nice pieces of what is likely to be 52100 steel. Makes a wicked knife blade or other edged tool, like say, framing chisels, or a big-ass timber framing slick!

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
If they're still flat/parallel, the races would make a good tram ring for a mill. I have an 8" one that is good for that, but just a bit too small.

For that price buy a small car rear disk. They are ground flat and parallel to low tenths when new. I am using one as is to tram my mill but have plans for a fixture that still uses the brake disk.

Edit - here is a link to great discussion of tramming ideas. The disk idea is further down in the thread but the whole thread is worth the read. Also note that since that thread, I have improved the disk idea by adding precision blocks to lift the disk above the vise as well as allow the disk to extend beyond the table for easy sweeping of an indicator or indicators.

Thread 'Spindle square' https://canadianhobbymetalworkers.com/threads/spindle-square.4225/

Last edited:

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
A rotor is a good option too. Even though I have a nice bearing race to use, I still use a 123 block most times anyway lol. Many ways to skin the cat.

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
Tell us how you use a 123 block?
Just set it on the table, and move it around to wherever the indicator is as you sweep the spindle. Buys you a couple extra inches in y as you can slightly overhang the table with it, and pretty much the only good use I've ever had for a 123 block :D........

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Just set it on the table, and move it around to wherever the indicator is as you sweep the spindle. Buys you a couple extra inches in y as you can slightly overhang the table with it, and pretty much the only good use I've ever had for a 123 block :D........

I see! I should have guessed that.

Hard to believe that's the only use you have for them......

I do something a little similar. I made and then used my surface grinder to grind 3 identical custom blocks high enough so my brake disk sits over my vise. The 12" brake disk allows me to sweep 360 in a big circle that overhangs the front and rear of the 9" table. I especially like it cuz I don't have to remove my vise to tram the mill.

Depending on the size of their vise one could probably stack six 1-2-3 blocks or use three 2-4-6 blocks.

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
They're useful, I was just poking fun. I have a wide variety (an entire drawer full) of hardened and ground "setup" blocks in matched pairs I bought from a retiring toolmaker I used to work with. I find my "Gary blocks" (every block is stamped "GARY") far more useful than 123 blocks hence my comment.

Your bridge setup with the rotor and blocks is a great solution. I've seen one years ago where a guy drilled and attached posts to the rotor, then ground them all to the same height so that they bridged a vise. I've always wanted to build one similar, but have not had a great need for it as of yet. Someday i'll get around to build all the neat things I stuffed in my brain over the years lol.

Another one was a block attached to the rotor to clamp in the vise, but that is a discussion in itself.....There was quite a dividing line about that one with those who tram to the vise, and those who tram to the table..... I'm a table guy.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Someday i'll get around to build all the neat things I stuffed in my brain over the years lol.

You better get your ass in gear. You get an amazing amount of things done if you ask me. (even that hot neighbour lady's drywall....) but there are two problems with using that "someday" word. First, as you age less gets done, and 2nd you start forgetting all that someday stuff.

Did your wife ever get her drywall?

Another one was a block attached to the rotor to clamp in the vise, but that is a discussion in itself.....There was quite a dividing line about that one with those who tram to the vise, and those who tram to the table..... I'm a table guy.

Me too. I think all those tram the vise guys have (or had) crappy vises.......;)

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I find my "Gary blocks" (every block is stamped "GARY")

That's funny. I have a bunch of "Gary" blocks too! In fact, I got a whole whack of really nice Gary stuff on a local KIJIJI buy. It was sold by the family after Gary passed away. I wish I had bought more of it now.

PaulL

Technologist at Large
Premium Member
Two days late. Not running back out to Coquitlam a second time in a week!

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
You better get your ass in gear. You get an amazing amount of things done if you ask me. (even that hot neighbour lady's drywall....) but there are two problems with using that "someday" word. First, as you age less gets done, and 2nd you start forgetting all that someday stuff.

Did your wife ever get her drywall?

Me too. I think all those tram the vise guys have (or had) crappy vises.......;)
Easy there, nobody ever said the lady was hot lol. She was not. Nice, and not an ogre, but my Mrs never had anything to worry about :D. I have not moved the needle on my own drywall at all yet. It will get it's day......Too many other things that need doing first.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Easy there, nobody ever said the lady was hot lol. She was not. Nice, and not an ogre, but my Mrs never had anything to worry about :D. I have not moved the needle on my own drywall at all yet. It will get it's day......Too many other things that need doing first.

Who said you said she was hot? Don't forget some of us on here are old with bad eyesight and very active imaginations..... You can't be telling us about a neighbour lady wanting her drywall done without us remembering that movie about the plumber you know!

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
Who said you said she was hot? Don't forget some of us on here are old with bad eyesight and very active imaginations..... You can't be telling us about a neighbour lady wanting her drywall done without us remembering that movie about the plumber you know!
I thought it was an electrician. Or was that the pizza delivery guy. I can't remember....

Ok, I'll give you that. She was a very buoyant 9.2 then, Dream away :D.