• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Bigger Lathe Question

TOBARApprentice

Super User
Hey everyone.

I’m looking at acquiring a large “older” lathe. Top speed is around 750 RPM. My old Atlas can spin much faster than that. So the question is, can an old large lathe be used to turn small diameter work successfully, although it cannot meet typical feeds and speeds outlined in most publications?

Thanks.

Derek

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brent H

Ultra Member
Should be able to - only challenge for smaller work is holding it - you would need a method of holding small items in the larger chucks and perhaps smaller tool holding. 750 RPM is not a killer for HSS cutters and such.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
750 is indeed slow but you may run your lathe a bit faster with a VFD or 750 may actually be speed for 50hz and your lathe actually spins at 900.

The "top" speed is lathe dependent.

If stuck with 750 don't despair unless you routinely go under 1" or work with aluminum. Also lets hope you don't need a lot of "mirror" finish.

My favorite speed for a lot of lathe work is 960 as well as ... 750. On my small lathe it is 1000 --> 1500. I rarely go above 2000.

Alexander

Ultra Member
Administrator
You can put a 6 inch chuck in a 12"+ chuck no problem. I do it regularly and it works fine for light duty stuff

TOBARApprentice

Super User
Alright then guys, thanks. Apologies for dropping the question in the classified adds, that was my fault. I’ll let you know tomorrow after I pay the man all about the “new to me” acquisition.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
My von wyck lathe is max 600 rpm.

You’re primarily in HSS territory there but I still use it

For small work there is always collets and other methods to hold.

I exploit the slow speeds for torque and weight for mostly drilling and boring

Ask yourself, what did they do before 1930? Did they make any decent parts. Yes. With little or no technology

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you're talking a turn on the century type older lathe, my main concern would be wear. You can make small parts on a large lathe, I make small stuff on my vdf at work all the time because our busy bee is wore out. You will find a large lathe may lack sensitive feedback when perform a drilling operation as compared to a smaller lathe. Maybe we could have an admin move this thread out of the classified section and into machine talks, you may get a better response to your question.

TOBARApprentice

Super User
Hey guys. I was about to “pull the trigger” on a Monarch 14C. 16 1/2 inch capacity and 30 inches between centres. I was a good deal and the guy was going to deliver it and put it into the garage. It’s a 4500 lb lathe so the delivery was a huge “add on”. 222V single phase conversion had been done. Came with 3 and 4 jaw chucks, steady and faceplate and a bunch of extras. With the announcement by the Canadian government regarding “airlines” I may not have a job in the coming months so for the time being I am going to hold. In truth, I think (once things get going again) I am just going to “bite the bullet”, and buy the 10EE that I really want. Just pay the money and be done..... I will (once it eventually happens) post the pics. Cheers all.

Derek

TOBARApprentice

Super User
If you're talking a turn on the century type older lathe, my main concern would be wear. You can make small parts on a large lathe, I make small stuff on my vdf at work all the time because our busy bee is wore out. You will find a large lathe may lack sensitive feedback when perform a drilling operation as compared to a smaller lathe. Maybe we could have an admin move this thread out of the classified section and into machine talks, you may get a better response to your question.

I posted this in error here...... if an admin reads this and can move it I would be most appreciative.