• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Big old metal lathe - $500

terry_g

Ultra Member
There is one like that here. A big flat belt drive lathe.
I would give it away before I would let that happen to it.

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
I had a shot at a free one in similar/slightly better condition about 10 years or so ago, but it was stuck in the mud about 2' deep, and at the time, I didn't have the equipment to unearth it and deal with it. That one was at least covered with a tarp, and could have been made serviceable again for some rough and large work for which I have an occasional need for. This one, needs to hitch a one way ride to the scrap yard. Maybe save and electrolysis the chucks for a welding positioner/christmas tree stand, or the legs for a live edge table or something, but it's days as a lathe are over.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Langley BC

00404_fYwsiDa3xHf_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg

Jswain

Joe
Have to sandblast it and see what's left under the rust
The rust would be easy to get rid of. Dig a pit in your backyard and make an electrolysis tank.

The tolerances left afterwards would be the question.

Citric acid or evaporust could take care of the small parts. You would definitely have a functioning lathe in the end.(If it isn't mechanically pooches) .001" tolerances, probably not?

justin1

Super User
Could this be even saved? I mean maybe as a huge project. This is no surface rust - its deep rust.
Anything can be saved but cost maybe be too much. As for accuracy probly not too badly effected if all surfaces rusted evenly but probly be height spot were carriage sat.

But who knows how loose it was before it lived out side and grew lichen. So I would be worried about bushings and drive trail related stuff as it's probly all shot :(

Realistically probly could be scavenged for same parts and then use rest for cast iron stock maybe even make couple camelback straight edges out of ways. Tail stock would have nice chunk of cast iron for backing plate and probly reuse the legs for fancy small work bench. Rest of thinner sections of lathe maybe able to make few gibs out of or stuff of that nature.

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
Could this be even saved? I mean maybe as a huge project. This is no surface rust - its deep rust.

IMO, with reconditioning (bringing back the original accuracy via scraping vs a lipstick on the pig clean up and paint), "what is possible" and "what makes sense" are miles apart. Of course you could, but you'd spend 1/10 of your life's remain leisure time and end with a lathe worth $800.

Reconditioning is so much bloody work, make sure the machine is really worthy of it, at least imo.

Last edited:

historicalarms

Ultra Member
I am so thankful my big ol' 1916 Hendey lathe came to me looking like it has never spent a night outdoors but man if I was 10 yrs younger I'd be on this like fleas on a dog even tho it is a 3 day drive out and back.
Even if a guy didnt want to do a restoration to a usable lathe state, the amount of usable stuff on that machine for retro-fitting to another purpose is almost unlimited . I could visualize that being an excellent table for a barrel making machine with everything probably there to make deep hole drill, reaming capable and rifling machine all in one.

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
You could think of all the deep pitting rust as natures way flaking for oil retention. :D Just give it a good stoning to take off the high spots and she's good to go......

Bandit

Super User
I guess it all depends on what you would use it for. It does not appear to be able to do anything fairly accurate, how ever it does have the tail stock, which is more then can be said of some for sale( might be rusted on!). There are 2 chucks, all the cross slide and compound appear to be there, with a lantern post and a tool holder, and a steady rest. Appears to have barbbet bearings on the head stock, yes it has rust, only one nite outside in the coast rain!
I am fairly sure it has lots of wear and rust pits, would need lots of work to clean up and be a bear to get every thing moving, but could make large bolt cannons or taper end of fence posts!
And as "historicalalarms" said a barrel making machine etc. As the first lathes were made from all or mostly wood, this would be a big step up!