• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Best tool/method for cutting v-grooves with milling machine?

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
I want to machine a replacement riser for a head/tail stock for an old lathe. This will involve cutting a v-groove and I am interested in the approach everyone would/has used and would recommend.

I've watched some videos, Tubalcain goes all end-mill w/head rotate, others use a double-angle cutter, some use magic and machines I can't afford.

The double-angle cutter is interesting to me, but I don't want to plunk down money if y'all say it is a waste, or if there is a cheap easy way to do this with standard tooling.

This is a smaller lathe, and the v-grooves are not that tall (think 1/4") high. If I had socks on I'd run out and measure the angle, but assume 'typical'

Johnwa

Ultra Member
Kevin
I have my socks on so I checked my Southbend’s way. The top angle is 90 degrees.
When I made a carriage stop I mounted the stock at 45 deg and cut the groove with an endmill.

John